New diesel standard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

I hear that very soon there will be a new grade of diesel fuel on the market.  If any of you know about this, I would be interested to know if all of the older diesels would be able to run on the new diesel fuel.  A salesman told me the '07's would be able to run on either, but the anything older would not.  I don't know if he was trying to sale me a '07 or if it is true.  Let me know what you guys have heard.

The new fuel is the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel and any engined manufactured in 2007 or later will require it.  Older engines will run on either the current low sulfur diesel or the new ULSD.  The salesman, and is so often the case, was either ignorant or lying.

A salesman told me the '07's would be able to run on either, but the anything older would not.  I don't know if he was trying to sale me a '07 or if it is true.

He was dead wrong.  It's just the opposite, as Ned has already described.

I'm continually amazed at how often - and how consistently - people report gross misinformation from RV sales people. You'd think they would be right at least part of the time, but they seem to defy the odds!  ::)  Though I suppose few would people write in here to ask/comment when a salesman does indeed say something accurate. I mean, it must have happened at some time or another, right?

Ned said:
The new fuel is the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel and any engined manufactured in 2007 or later will require it.? Older engines will run on either the current low sulfur diesel or the new ULSD.? The salesman, and is so often the case, was either ignorant or lying.

Salesman was just doing what saleman do, telling a prospective customer what ever the salesman thinks the customer wants to hear right or wrong.  Just another case of You can't believe the salesman.

Torchbearer said:
I hear that very soon there will be a new grade of diesel fuel on the market.? If any of you know about this, I would be interested to know if all of the older diesels would be able to run on the new diesel fuel.? A salesman told me the '07's would be able to run on either, but the anything older would not.? I don't know if he was trying to sale me a '07 or if it is true.? Let me know what you guys have heard.

The fuel, ULSD, has been available for quite a long time especially in CA which made it mandatory earlier this year but where some stations have been selling it for over a year. So, most of us have been using it albeit mixed with LSD from time to time. Folks with 07 engines (not motorhome model year) will require ULSD. This may pose some challanges since not every station will necessarily offer ULSD until 2010. However, this will probably be a very minor number. I just stopped last week at a small crossroad station on Hwy 17 in SC to fill and they had only ULSD.   

Back
Top Bottom