New Dish Network service - old Winegard dome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPete

I am going to cancel our cable service and subscribe to Dish. I plan on using the set up at home when we are not traveling and take the receiver on the road when we travel. Would I be better off having the service installed at home and just take the receiver in the Motorhome when we leave or getting the Pay as You Go plan and install the dish at home on my own? I do not think we will be starting and stoping the service at all so that is not important.
Also, I have an old (2004) Winegard Movin View dome that I hope to use on the Motorhome. It worked when the unit was new and I am wondering if it would still work with the new receivers, minus the HD.

Thanks for any advice,

Pete

If you plan to have the service year around anyway, there seems to be no advantage to the Pay as you go plan.

The dome should work OK. On Dish, it can even get HD, since it is on a satellite that it can "see". You would need an HD-capable receiver, though.

I have that exact setup in our 03 MH. I cancelled Comcast and installed Dish at home. I also use the Movin' View without problems. You might have to check the switches on the Movin view to see if it is setup for Dish or Direct Tv as it can do either. I can't remember what the default setting is on it. I still have the original tv so don't care about HD but it is available. I take the one analog rec from the house, it is a VIP211K. Works pretty good when you can get parked in the right spot.

There is a law, IF you live where you can get television "Over the air" DISH has to provide you with those local stations via satellite (Same for Direc, also for your cable company by the way).  These stations are normally "Spot beamed" A spot beam is kind of like a spot light shining on your house (In fact a spot light *IS* a spot beam) and if you drive too far,,, You are in the dark.

RV accounts, however, qualify for something called Distant Network Service,, Dish has already gotten Dinged big time for being a bit too free with that so they are real restrictive now But RV accounts qualify.  You may not be able to get your local ABC station with an RV account, (You can get it OVer the air if you can't) but you should be able to get network TV from either NYC area or Los Angles.

So by all means set up the account for the RV, and NOT the house.  Just the reverse of what you suggested.. You can use the RV's "Extra" receivers in the house or just bring the whole system in, Pointing antennas (Which you can get from Craig's list or E-bay) is the same no matter if it's an RV install or a house install, YOU Can do it.

Thanks all for the info. I will get it set up next week. We are planning our first Snowbird adventure this winter and look forward to all it entails.

Pete

Ah snowbirding.. The best way to winterize a motor home or trailer (The S method, Strap a Snow blower to the front of the rig, turn so the compass says "S" and when someone at a fuel stop scratches their head and says "What the )(*@#$ is that thin?
"  Find parking.

I'm in South Carolina.. There is a lovely county park about 20 miles from me 12 bucks a night,, No sewer on site however.. The membership (Thousand Trails/Encore) i'm in is like 35 a night for non-members.. But you can get a zone pass for less if you plan on staying the winter.

Back
Top Bottom