New England Advice ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Soon we head out for a New England journey. ?The Admiral has never been there so she is really looking forward to this trip.

First question - Are there any recommendations for RV parks or campgrounds in New Hampshire, VT, or Maine?

Next, what are good places to visit?

Will the effects of the flooding have subsided by the first week of June?  (I know this might be a hard question to answer.)

Does the Lake Champlain ferry between NY and VT still run, and if so does it handle big rigs with toads?

If not, is there a convenient way to cross from VT into upstate NY without going across the Canadian border? ?I would like to visit a friend in upstate NY without having to cross into Canada, as we carry a handgun on board.

Hi Smoky,

It looks like you can take Rt.2 north of Burlington, VT and cross the end of Lake Champlain just south of the border. You can't get any further upstate than that. :) My mother came from Mooers which is just south of the border.

I don't know of any campgrounds in New England but there's a pretty good one in Tolland, CT. Our daughter's yard will hold two rigs. We'll be here until October so if you come this way let us know.

What ever you do, don't miss Sturbridge Village, MA, Mystic Seaport, CT, and the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, MA. There/s some nice campgrounds around Bar Harbor, ME. If you're lucky, you find a site that overlooks the bay. Be sure and take the drive to the top of Cadillac MT and around Arcadia Park. If you stay on Rt 1 north to Lubec, and  Canada, the visit to Roosevelt's  summer home, Campabella is  a good stop. As long as you are on the island take the two ferry rides to St George and really see some rural Canadian fishing villages. As long as you get this far, take another couple of weeks and see Nova Scotia. You'll never regret it.

A good stop along the way is a weekend at Reinbeck, NY to see them fly the WWI, and earlier aeroplanes.  he airshow and dog fights are very well done.

Chet18013

Smoky  Daughter stayed at a resort near Bar Harbor, she liked it, unfortunately I nor she can remember the name.  Take care and glad the Admiral is back to straighten you out.  Enjoy.

Our favorite campground is Limehurst Lake just two miles South of Williamstown Vt which is South of Barrie Vermont.  Not a large campground but great setting with a small lake.

When we we in the area a few years ago we took the ferry across with our 34 ft 88 Bounder. You can cross the Northern part of the lake via US 11 to Alberg across the lake on to Vt highway  78 to Swanten VT.  Be sure to visit the Shelborn museum just South of Burlington VT.

Happy Travels

Smoky:

Tell Sharon Sue enjoys Exit 3 on the Maine Turnpike (The Kittery Outlets), and Exit 22 on I-295 (Freeport-LL Bean). ;D ;D

If you do stop at Freeport you can park 2 blocks east of Beans or there are a couple of campgrounds west of I-295, we have stayed at Cedar Haven Campground a couple of times-its small and was convenient and friendly but has changed ownership. If you do ask directions to the marina, there is a seafood and lobster strand there that is not the fanciest in town but has great seafood at reasonable ?? prices.

A good stop along the way is a weekend at Reinbeck, NY to see them fly the WWI, and earlier aeroplanes.  he airshow and dog fights are very well done.

The corect spelling is RHINEBECK, NY, at the old Rhinebeck Airdrome. It's in the Hudson RIver Valley, north of  Poughkeepsie and wel south of Albany.  May I also suggest taking the Admiral to dinner at Foster's Coach House, a place with delightful character and excellent food and service  (though I haven't been there in quite a few years now).

We workamped for two years at the Camden Hills Rv Resort in Rockport, ME and can recommend it. Ask for a site in range of 42-56 - they are new 50A sites and quite nice. The lower numbered sites are older and smaller. It's not a good place if you are hooked on satellite, though. Probably only 1-2 site sin the whole park get any satellite reception at all.

Smokey,

We left Vermont 9 years ago, so this will test my memory. BG

Places to Go:

Vermont:
Shelborne Farms and Shelborne Museum, both in Shelborne, VT
Camp at the Shelborne Camp Area. This park is only OK, but its the only convenient Rv park.
Just north of Burlington off route 2 is a better campground (still just an open field, but more space), but at this time I can't remember the name.

Simon Pierce in Quechee, VT (Glass blowing, pottery making, nice store for Glass, pottery, clothing and some furniture. Visit there hydro electric plant and for sure have lunch at their restaurant.
From here also visit Woodstock, VT as a sample of a small tourist town. (And home to the Rockefeller Farm)
In Quechee stay at Pine Valley Rv Park on Rt 4 near the exit from I89. I really always liked this park.

Maine:
Belfast Me. This is a neat little town, almost a hippy feeling. Good natural foods store. An alternative power store. I remember some good restaurants but not their names.
North of Belfast be sure to visit the Penobscot marine Museum.
South of Belfast is the tourist town of Camden and Rockport
Stay just north of Belfast at the Moorings RV Park right on RT 1 and best right on the water.

The southern coast of Maine has a great deal of tourist stuff and shopping, but we rarely visited that part of the state.

Acadia National Park, Mount Desert Island. Drive the whole Island. Be sure to visit the little towns of Northeast harbor and Southwest Harbor. As I remember there are no great CGs, but we stayed at several and they were OK.

The ferries across Lake Champlain can easily take your rig. We crossed several times on the ferries south of Burlington (Charlotte, VT to Essex, NY). The only problem with this ferry is that the holding yards have limited space. Just don't go way ahead of the sailing time. I also used the ferry from South Hero Island to just north of Plattsburg, NY. without any problems.

The ferry out of Burlington is a much longer crossing and therefore more expensive.

Also, you can take RT 2 north from Burlington, up the Hero Islands and cross over a bridge into NY just south of the Canadian border.

Vermont and New Hampshire are full of neat little towns.

I scouted out a neat CG at Jonesport (near Lubeck). views of the harbor from a spit N of town. Plan to stop there if I ever get back.

Thanks all for the many fine suggestions.  We are looking forward to this trip.  Jim thanks for your invitation.  Do not know our itinerary yet, but will let you know if we end up coming your way.  Gary, not sure where Foster?s Coach House is.  You mentioned the Albany area just before the restaurant.  Is it near Albany?

And Gary do you recall if that Rockport campground with no sat reception is in a Verizon area?

After seeing this input, we are inclined to avoid the NYC area and go north through Harrisburg PA and on up into upstate NY. Then across the bridge in northern VT.  And return the same way when we head for the factory in Indiana

Russ... what is a green flash seeker?

And Gary do you recall if that Rockport campground with no sat reception is in a Verizon area?

No it's not, Smoky, but the campground has free wifi.  Some of the sites have only marginal wifi reception, but wifi is always excellent in the clubhouse (the park antenna is on the roof). There's also modem access in the club house and instant-on phone lines are available at sites 43-56 for a couple bucks  a night.

Voice cell service is excellent in the area, but no Verizon data service.

Gary, not sure where Foster?s Coach House is.  You mentioned the Albany area just before the restaurant.  Is it near Albany?

Sorry for the confusion. Foster's is right in the little town of Rhinebeck, NY. The Airdrome is just outside of town.

Smoky said:
Thanks all for the many fine suggestions.  We are looking forward to this trip.  Jim thanks for your invitation.  Do not know our itinerary yet, but will let you know if we end up coming your way.  Gary, not sure where Foster?s Coach House is.  You mentioned the Albany area just before the restaurant.  Is it near Albany?

After seeing this input, we are inclined to avoid the NYC area and go north through Harrisburg PA and on up into upstate NY. Then across the bridge in northern VT.  And return the same way when we head for the factory in Indiana

Smoky:

Northern Vermont and New Hampshire are beautiful and a scenic route to Maine but quite a bit out of the way and slow driving if you have already visited the area. To Harrisburg I-95, I-495, I-90, I-84, I-81, is not too bad a route as long as you don't hit Hartford during rush hour. The other option that is a great trip is Route 201 up through Jackman to Quebec City and TC--20 to Montreal is another way to head back west. From there you can drop down into Vt or NY or continue on to Michigan.

We really enjoyed Quebec City, others would never go back.

For serious food addicts who pass through Rhinebeck, I strongly recommend stopping in at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America) between Hyde Park and Poughkeepsie, South of Rhinebeck!? The food there is absolutely amazing.? It's expensive, but lunch is less so.? Hours, prices, and menus can be found here.

Also don't forget FDR's home in Hyde Park.

Al

Thanks Gary for the info!

Jeff - I believe our route will be to go from Harrisburgh through upstate New York, up to the crossing into Vermont at the northern end of Lake Champlain.

You mean we might wind up with Chef Smoky by the time  this trip is complete.  Just remember Smoky, I order to keep water from scartching, it must be stirred.  HEHE

The green flash is a refractive phenomenon that is seen at sunset/sunrise. As the last sliver of the sun drops below the horizon, the orange sun sets first, then the green. Blue sets last, but this is very rarely seen. Best seen over the ocean, you need a flat horizon. I have seen it many times over land. Just keep watching.

Attachments

• green flash01:01:22.jpg
    green flash01:01:22.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom