New England route suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

We are looking for an interesting and passable route from Rouse's Point, where we cross from upstate NY into VT, over to Bangor MA.  Any ideas?  Also campgrounds on the route?

Also, anyone know if there is much construction up Route 83 to Harrisburg, PA, and Route 81 up through upstate ny?

Smoky:

We have traveled from Burlington over to Bangor by taking I-89 down to Montpelier and then US-2 . It is a beautiful if slow drive through the small towns of New England.

Sue's detour for Sharon would be leaving Rte 2 to at Gorham for a loop south on Route 16 to Mt Washington and North Conway, NH for a little (lot) shopping, and then crossing into Me on 302 and looping north through the Rangely Lake Region of Maine to Route 26 back up to Bethel on Rte 2.

Its been too long to remember the campgrounds we used but there are plenty along the route.

Jeff:

Do you recall the routes you took after Montpelier on into New Hampshire and then beyond that into Bangor?

Also, we are wondering about more northern Vermont routes that would get us into Smuggler's Notch and also Willoughby Lake?

Smoky said:
Jeff:

Do you recall the routes you took after Montpelier on into New Hampshire and then beyond that into Bangor?

Also, we are wondering about more northern Vermont routes that would get us into Smuggler's Notch and also Willoughby Lake?

Stormy:

When you leave Burlington you are on I-89/US Route 2. At Montpelier you leave I-89 to follow US 2 all the way to Bangor, Maine. It takes you across northern VT and NH and western Maine. About 25 miles or so east of Burlington you can turn North on VT  101 for 10 miles to Stowe and Smugglers Notch is about 6 miles NW of Stowe on VT 108.  There is a back way into the Notch by going north on I89 from Burlington and turning southeast on VT 104A/VT 104/VT 108 but I seem to recall the roads being better coming up from the south. When you leave Stowe go back south to I-89, east 25 miles to I-91 north 25 miles to Westmore for Lake Willoughby. There are roads you can take after Stowe cross country but they will be sloooow!

There is no route I know of  further north of US 2 that makes it all the way across VT and NH to Maine Unless you go up into Canada. Both states are made up of long valleys oriented SE-NW that have to navigated.

The detour I mentioned would loop a bit south in Eastern NH past Mt Washington for the shopping at North Hanover and to drive through the Rangley Lakes region of Maine which is beautiful.

Another detour I would suggest is over in Maine on Route 2. When you get to Skowhegan head north on 201/16/15 to the Greenville/Moosehead lake region. It is some of the unspoiled timber areas of the State. At Greenville take a seaplane or boat tour of Moosehead.

thanks for the tips Jeff.  Likely we will use most of your ideas.  Tonight I will take another look at the map as I am puzzled why we would go all the way south to Burlington and then almost the same distance north to hit Smugglers.  I may have misread the map.

Smoky:

Burlington is a beautiful city on Lake Champlain but if you are not interested in visiting it then the back door I mentioned via VT 104 will take you to Smugglers Notch.

Have fun.

Smugglers Notch is a neat place to visit in your TOAD.  DO NOT ATTEMPT crossing Smugglers Notch in your motorhome it won't fit and the rocks will most likely cause more damage than a guard rail.  There are signs that indicated NO MOTORHOME or TRAILERS allowed.  We seen a Quebecer take a class C up there and while he did finally make it it took him several minutes to make it around one corner after several back ups and forwards while many folks waited for this idiot. 

Ron:

Smoky has already gotton that card punched! ;D ;D ;D

Smoky:

Take I-89 down to VT 100 and up to Stowe, you'll enjoy the ride. ;)

Jeff Cousins said:
Ron:

Smoky has already gotton that card punched! ;D ;D ;D

We just don't want a repeat performance.  As you know that Newmar just won't negotiate that one corner on the Stowe side of Smugglers Notch.  Much more certain of damage than on 89.

OK thanks for the danger alert on Smuggler's Notch.    How about the Lake Willoughsby area?  I am finding one downside of a motorhome palace are all the lovely side trips it can't take.  :mad:

Ron, I am a little biased against Burlington as I have been there more than 50 times.  My parents were school teachers and as such we spent every summer on the NY side of Lake Champlain at a summer camp on Deep Bay.  The camp had more than 100 boats, several of which were long distance power cruisers, the largest sleeping 18.  The largest sailboat "The Eleanor" bunked 8 and was the fastest sailboat on the Lake for several decades, winning most of the handicap races and all the scratch races.  All of the larger boats (both sailing and power) made frequent journeys to both St. Alban's and Burlington, across the lake.  I was hoping for a more rural route across Vermont where I have never been.  This is my first real chance to see parts of New England I have never seen before.  Looks like some good roads north of Smuggler's Notch so maybe the key is to avoid the temptation to go down into the Notch itself.  I was told by the one of people who just shampooed the coach carpets this week that there are tons of good RV campgrounds in the Willooughby Lake area and his family is from that area.  I did not have time to pin him down on routes, hence my questions here.

If I can't find a safe northern route I may well end up going through good ole Burlington once again.  :(

Smoky:

There are a couple of smaller highways that wind around northern VT/NH but I haven't been on them.

Smoky said:
OK thanks for the danger alert on Smuggler's Notch.? ? How about the Lake Willoughsby area?? I am finding one downside of a motorhome palace are all the lovely side trips it can't take.? ?:mad:

What downside.  What is the toad for? ??? ???

When we were in that area we use to take I-89 to Montpelier then catch 302 over to Barre.  Frequently we would go south from Barre to two miles south of Williamstown to our favorite campground, Limehurst Lake, and spend a night or two then back up to 302 and on across 302 to near Portland Maine.  We use to do this in the 36 ft Bounder Diesel.  Two lane road most the way but beautiful route.  You can take highway 2 across but we preferred 302 since we were looking to enjoy the drive and scenery.

I really do appreciate all the info here.

I guess I am struggling.  Do I strike out on my own like an explorer and take a northern route of my own device, perhaps finding a Shangra La not reported before  (or perhaps recreate the crease on the side of my coach that took me a week of buffing to repair)  ... or ... do I take the safe and proven Burlington Montpelier route?  Not an easy decision, as it has been verified that the safe route is also a lovely route.

I will suspend the decision until I get close and speak with local natives. 

Smoky said:
I really do appreciate all the info here.

I guess I am struggling.  Do I strike out on my own like an explorer and take a northern route of my own device, perhaps finding a Shangra La not reported before  (or perhaps recreate the crease on the side of my coach that took me a week of buffing to repair)  ... or ... do I take the safe and proven Burlington Montpelier route?  Not an easy decision, as it has been verified that the safe route is also a lovely route.

I will suspend the decision until I get close and speak with local natives. 

He who neglects the lessons of history is doomed to repeat them.  ;D

LOL Bruce! 

I will take every effort not to neglect the Jerome lesson.  If I see a sign that says nothing over 40 feet I will turn around.  If someone says been there, done that, don't do the same... then I will heed their advice.  If somehow I don't see or hear any warnings, I will stop at the first sign of danger and wait for the Air Force to come lift us out of there.  ;D

We will have fun though, no matter what happens!!  ;D

As I recall by the time you can see the sign advising your rig is not allowed on Smugglers notch you will be hard pressed to turn around without backing up against traffic  for quite some distance and there is no way you will be able to go over Smugglers Notch.  I don't know for sure but have been told it is a pretty hefty fine if they catch someone with an oversized rig beyond the sign.  Hope you won't try to take the rig over Smugglers.

Ron:

We have already decided not to take the rig into the Notch.  But we are still looking for suitable northern routes.  We have found a possible campground on Route 100 that is convenient to the Notch, Stowe, Willoughby Lake etc, and a fly shop that has a 1 day school on my birthday.  ;D

Incidentally I STILL have not changed over to my DW7000.  The problem now is my present location has too many trees.  Grrr.

We have been over rt 100 from Burlington east several times. We usually stay in Westfield at a PPA park. It only has water and electricity, but is a nice place.
There is another park in Westfield, but we have never stayed there. From Westfield we always go east to I-91 south to I-93. This is pretty country and
not much traffic. Just south of Littleton you can take US 302 across New Hampshire. This will take you through some small towns, but whats the rush.
It also goes through the resort town of North Conway. This will bring you to the Maine Turnpike at Portland or the way we go is from Bridgton north on RT 117 to
Norway and US 202 will take you to the Maine Turnpike at either Lewiston / Auburn or Augusta. It has been a couple of years since we did this route last, but it
was all good road then.

Safe travels
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom