New Entry Level or Used Luxury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVnate

Greetings Friends!

Our small family got hooked on RVing this summer after an awesome trip to Niagara Falls in a 27 foot Thor Vegas Class A. Now shopping for RVs and as you know, the analysis can be laborious. We've narrowed the search down to two RVs based on our preferences, a 2018 Thor Hurricane 29M and a 2014 Newmar Bay Star 2903, both priced in the Mid 70's. I've read many of the negative Thor reviews and yet come back to a few creature comforts not available in the Bay Star 2903 (particularly: Outside kitchen, outside TV, inside overhead bunk, and no carpeting).

There are numerous Thor service centers in my home town but the nearest Newmar is 80 miles away (and this Newmar is under an extended warranty until 2021). The Newmar is built on a 22G chassis while the Thor is built on a 19G. So, I know, I know, there is no comparison in terms of build quality. Believe me, the Vegas we drove (Class C chassis - as I was told) was rattling all across Pennsylvania. My question is, in your opinion and experience, how you might recommend making a decision: Build Quality vs. amenities. The obvious ones are willing to take it to the shop, deal with repairs to whatever begins to fall apart, etc. etc. Are there any thoughts on any revelatory wisdom from you experts, i.e. "This you MUST know" about these two options.

Thank you from a budding RVer!!!

N8

At first glance, I would pick the Newmar hands down over a Thor, BUT, build quality isn't worth anything if a person doesn't like the floorplan and doesn't have the features they want. There's a lot of different models of class A's out there. Don't get in a hurry and make a mistake you would regret. Keep looking until you find what you want, not what we would want.

The last thing I would worry about would be build quality or what chassis it was on or if there was a dealer near me. Condition is the most important thing. And I would not buy new.

My advice is to buy the Newmar as it will depreciate less over the next couple of years, as no matter how much you think about it and research your purchase choice a year or two of experience on the road will change your mind about what you think you want in a coach.  Often after living with a given coach for a year or two there will be things you find you don't like about it that never occurred to you to think about when you buy it.  This could be things like top opening vs side opening storage compartment doors, or the turning radius / wheel cut of the coach, whatever it is chances are it is something that you are unlikely to predict now.  Also you may find that you use the coach in a way different than you anticipate, perhaps you envision sitting out in a campground and using that outside kitchen and TV, only to realize after a year that you never use them due to mosquitoes or lack of private camp space,...

From Isaac-1

no matter how much you think about it and research your purchase choice a year or two of experience on the road will change your mind about what you think you want in a coach.  Often after living with a given coach for a year or two there will be things you find you don't like about it that never occurred to you to think about when you buy it.  This could be things like top opening vs side opening storage compartment doors, or the turning radius / wheel cut of the coach, whatever it is chances are it is something that you are unlikely to predict now.  Also you may find that you use the coach in a way different than you anticipate, perhaps you envision sitting out in a campground and using that outside kitchen and TV, only to realize after a year that you never use them due to mosquitoes or lack of private camp space,...

This should be required reading for every buyer.

I strongly favor the used, higher end models.  New is no guarantee of lack of defects, and every dollar of reduced price means some corner was cut in the less expensive model.  Design, construction process, materials, etc.  However, the used one has to be in good condition and the floor plan has to work for you. That's a primary requirement in my book.

If you have never bought a New RV . I think you will get really frustrated on all the things that will need repaired. We have owned 4 and there is always things that will have to be repaired. New does not mean no problems.

I bought a 10 yo American Coach Tradition, so you know where my opinion is. DW and I are constantly telling each other how nice this coach is. Ever after 11 years the paint looks new and the ride is silky smooth and we can talk in a normal tone when on the road. As Gary above said, the build quality is there from the ground up.
But we waited and found the exact floor plan we wanted, that was the 1st priority.

After a couple years of ownership, the older quality coach will still look the same, and the resale price will have only dropped a bit if at all. The entry level new one will have cheap cabinets falling off the wall, table tops blistering, panels rattling, and the resale value will be about 30 percent less then you paid. My vote is always get the best quality you can afford. New doesnt make them better.

muskoka guy said:
After a couple years of ownership, the older quality coach will still look the same, and the resale price will have only dropped a bit if at all. The entry level new one will have cheap cabinets falling off the wall, table tops blistering, panels rattling, and the resale value will be about 30 percent less then you paid. My vote is always get the best quality you can afford. New doesnt make them better.
:)) Great advise.  :))

I know the OP was talking about motorhomes, but while looking at fifth wheels, I recommend old luxury vs new luxury. It seems like a some of what used to be luxury isn't any more. Some that had solid wood cabinets are now sawdust and vinyl. Anyone buying new needs to really check. Some brands will really disappoint.

kdbgoat said:
I know the OP was talking about motorhomes, but while looking at fifth wheels, I recommend old luxury vs new luxury. It seems like a some of what used to be luxury isn't any more. Some that had solid wood cabinets are now sawdust and vinyl. Anyone buying new needs to really check. Some brands will really disappoint.
Right on Goat. I bought a 20 year old luxury fifth wheel and it is a gem. The cabinets are solid oak and beautiful. Sure there are a few problems but hey, I only paid $4200.  ;D

SeilerBird said:
Right on Goat. I bought a 20 year old luxury fifth wheel and it is a gem. The cabinets are solid oak and beautiful. Sure there are a few problems but hey, I only paid $4200.  ;D

Smart man! ?

kdbgoat said:

:)) :)) :))

Sprucegum*** WELL SAID  :))...SELERBIRD*** WELL DONE $4,200..By the way I love the rig you sent me ..uch is at Texas... Wow all of your guys has so much to share ...Thank so much I'm learning like a sponge in the kindergarten with all those little dirty hands  to be clean..lol

LIVE NOW said:
Sprucegum*** WELL SAID  :))...SELERBIRD*** WELL DONE $4,200..By the way I love the rig you sent me ..uch is at Texas... Wow all of your guys has so much to share ...Thank so much I'm learning like a sponge in the kindergarten with all those little dirty hands  to be clean..lol
When motorhome shopping it is best to shop the whole country. Just shopping locally really limits your selection. You can fly one way for a few hundred dollars from almost anywhere in the country. You could end up saving thousands of dollars that way. Fly in, buy it and drive it home.

When I was shopping for my current coach, I started initially shopping nation wide, though I quickly came to realize it would have to be a great deal in order to consider buying on the far side of the country.  In the end I opted for a 1,200 - 1,500 mile max shopping radius, due to various logistics of retrieval and ended up buying one that was about 1,100 miles away in south Florida.  Flew down to pick it up on a Wednesday, arrived home on Sunday morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom