New From Houston, Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comanche72

Hello,

New to this forum. We have a 39L Discovery diesel pusher we bought in April of 2003. We now have over 45,000 miles on it which includes one trip to Alaska. 

We're really enjoying this "toy".  ;D

G. Birdwell

Comanche72 said:
Hello,

New to this forum. We have a 39L Discovery diesel pusher we bought in April of 2003. We now have over 45,000 miles on it which includes one trip to Alaska.?

We're really enjoying this "toy".? ;D

G. Birdwell

Welcome to the RV Forum.  That Discovery is a nice coach from what I have heard and seen.  Lets see if you really get going you could make it to Quartzsite and join us at the rally.  Glad you found us.

I'll add my welcome to Ron's.

Any tips you can share from your Alaska trip?

We went To Alaska starting in July of 2004 for a six week trip. Had a great time, but suffered severe damage to the tow (2000 Lincoln Town Car). We had a gravel guard on the front of the tow and at the rear of the motorhome. As it turns out, the guard on the MH was the cause of most of the damage. When the rear of the MH went down, the guard would scoop gravel and throw it on the tow. We raised the guard higher using bungee cords, but it didn't help a lot. When we got back, the cost for repairs exceeded $3,000.00. I now have the Protect-A-Tow.

Sure wish I'd known about the protect-A-Tow before we went! We plan on going back this coming May. I can assure you, the motor home gravel guard won't be with us!

If you should happen to go, be sure and take the boat tour of Prince William Sound out of Valdez. Also, take the latest issue of The Milepost. Lot's of good info.

Gaylon B.

Comanche72 said:
Sure wish I'd known about the protect-A-Tow before we went!

Gaylon, what is Protect-A-Tow?

TIA

Tom,

Take a look at their website.

http://protectatow.tripod.com/

I had to modify it slightly to use with the rear exhaust on our diesel pusher. No problems for 15,000 to 20,000 miles of use.

Gaylon

Thanks Gaylon, very interesting. Do you know what happens to the P-A-T when you make turns?

Ron said:
Welcome to the RV Forum.  That Discovery is a nice coach from what I have heard and seen.  Lets see if you really get going you could make it to Quartzsite and join us at the rally.  Glad you found us.

Thanks for the invitation Ron. Yes, we really like our Discovery. Like most new rigs though, we had a few problems the first year, but all have now been taken care of.

BTW, I totally agree about the flyrod!

Gaylon

Ron,

The edges are held up by stretched bungee cords. When you turn, they simply contract to keep the PAT off the ground. I'll never be without it again.

Gaylon

I also use Protect-a-Tow, it is the best protection I ever used and would never be without it again.? Our toad has never suffered any dings or chips since we installed it.? I must say that it also keeps everything looking better including my hitch and back of my coach.? I haven't been down the alaskan highway with it but read many good reports on how well it worked.? Their website is www.protectatow.com

legal-eagle said:
I also use Protect-a-Tow, it is the best protection I ever used and would never be without it again.  Our toad has never suffered any dings or chips since we installed it.  I must say that it also keeps everything looking better including my hitch and back of my coach.  I haven't been down the alaskan highway with it but read many good reports on how well it worked.  Their website is www.protectatow.com

Legal-eagle

Note the qualification for rear exhaust diesel pushers on the web site. I had a Blue Ox Underskirt, a very similar product, for our Alaskan trip and burned a hole in it and the Kevlar heat shield because of the exhaust. On the other hand the Lynches had the same product but without a rear exhaust and it seemed to have worked for them.

Good catch on the rear exhaust Bernie. I'll make sure I measure before buying a P.A.T.

My Discovery has a rear exhaust (330 Cat diesel). I simply moved the left hand eye bolt P-A-T attach point on the motor home about eight or ten inches to the right, attached one end of a bungee cord to the edge of the P-A-T near the exhaust outlet and the other end to the hitch. This was enough to pull the edge of the P-A-T far enough from the exhaust to prevent burning, but still provide protection for the towed vehicle. I've use it in this manner for at least 10,000 to 15,000 miles with no damage to the towed vehicle or the Protect-A-Tow.

Gaylon B.

Back
Top Bottom