New from Iowa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daleah

Hi, we don't have an RV yet, but we are thinking about getting one so we can travel when we retire.  I thought it would be a good idea to start learning about these now, so when we are ready to buy one we are well informed.

We like to ride our motorcycle, so we will be using an RV to serve as a basecamp while we ride the fun roads all around the country.

I'll probably not be posting any advice since I don't have much experience, but I'm sure I will have a lot of questions.

thanks in advance for your patience with this newbie.

Dale

No idea at all.

We are so early in the process, we really have not thought out much. 

We have a year or 2 before we will be buying one, but I wanted to start researching right now.

I guess the thing we need to understand is:  how much money will it really save over staying in hotels?  We recently went on a 6 day ride and the hotels all added up to over $1,000 and we really didn't stay in fancy places.  it's just that in some remote areas, or touristy areas, hotels are really expensive.

So we are starting to look at RVs.

Welcome to the Forum, and good luck with your search.

A word of caution though: you'll not save a nickel by using an RV instead of hotel rooms. There is simply no ROI on the cost of owning and operating an RV.

However, having your own bed and bathroom, along with enjoying the lifestyle, makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks for your comment.  That's kind of the thing we wanted to know. 

I guess it's all about the lifestyle, and other intangibles (like not having to hunt for a hotel, or find a place to eat, etc.).

Our style of riding is to explore small back roads, so most of the time, we are in lightly populated areas, so the selection of hotels and restaurants are pretty limited.

thanks again.

Dale

Hi Dale and welcome.  You are doing the right thing by investigating first. 

Have a look at floorplans on this website to give you some ideas.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

Our conversations are not all RV related so don't be so sure you can't give advice! 

Happy hunting.

When we travel for several weeks or a couple months we put EVERY penny spent on a credit card.  At the end of the trip we pay off the card and figure out the cost of the trip per day. The average comes in at about $100 per day.

That includes gas, food, RV park, tours, clothes, eating out and junk we buy along the way.  Everything.

My wife and I are not worried about return on investment, we're here to enjoy life. 

There are positive points for many different kinds of RV's and it all depends on your needs.  Over the last 50 years I've owned 'em all.  Trailers offer the advantage of leaving the trailer behind and sightseeing with the tow vehicle.  The big disadvantage is the total length of your truck and even a small trailer means your overall length is 40 feet or more. Even stopping at a fast food restaurant can be traumatic if you can't negotiate the parking lot. Or have to back up very far. Whereas smaller motorhomes may be no longer than a pickup and just as easy to drive in congested city traffic or a dirt road. You might check out the class B, B+, or small class C motorhomes.  Some are small enough to drive to work every day and explore the great outdoors on weekends. And don't forget pickup campers which can basically go anywhere the pickup can.  With proper care they can outlast many pickups.

Back
Top Bottom