New Garmin RV 1090 10" GPS for RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodspike said:
Garmin apparently still hasn't figured out that GPS devices should be orientated portrait, not landscape.  You typically want to see where you're going to be, not what's beside you.  ::)
I don't see any advantage to portrait, in fact I would hate it. I really dislike people who take videos with their cell phone and use portrait mode and then post it on the Internet. Instead of the video taking up the whole screen it will take up a small strip in the center of the screen with large bands of junk on both sides. Boo.

SeilerBird said:
I don't see any advantage to portrait, in fact I would hate it. I really dislike people who take videos with their cell phone and use portrait mode and then post it on the Internet. Instead of the video taking up the whole screen it will take up a small strip in the center of the screen with large bands of junk on both sides. Boo.
Amen!

SeilerBird said:
I really dislike people who take videos with their cell phone and use portrait mode and then post it on the Internet.

:):):)) (with very few exceptions-- for example, someone jumping out of a window in a high rise building.  :eek:

SeilerBird said:
Mine was a Magellan about the same size. It lasted less than six months before I threw it away. First gen GPSs sucked. Not ready for prime time. It cost about $500.

Mine worked fine with the exception of if you had it off a long time or traveled a long distance with it off.  If that happened it would take a long time to access the satellites and figure out where it was.  Also the sensitivity wasn't quite up to the modern units, but that wasn't a big problem.

SeilerBird said:

It allows you to see more of the road ahead.  That's more of a benefit if you have traffic data.  If you don't have traffic data it wouldn't matter as much, but it's still nice to see what's ahead rather than stuff you're passing by 1/4 mile either side.

As to taking pictures, or especially video, that's an entirely different matter and has no relationship to the GPS issue.

Getting back to GPS, I'm glad Garmin finally figured out that portrait is better and as such at a minimum should be an option for people.

my 785 will only flip to portrait when in tablet mode. It stay on landscape when in map mode

My 9" GPS continues to amaze me. I discovered that it has a neat way of displaying roundabouts that I never saw in a Garmin.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite songs to play along to, Roundabout by Yes. The opening is easy to play and sounds awesome.

https://youtu.be/cPCLFtxpadE

Attachments

• Roundabout.jpg
    Roundabout.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 21
More amazing things I learned today. It has red light camera warnings if there is a red light camera ahead. Very cool. I also discovered that the roads can be a different color. Residential two lane street are white. Four lane roads are yellow, freeways are red and the current route is blue. Very very cool.

Garmin has always been at the forefront of GPS technology, and I would love to have a Garmin for my RV too. If you're wondering between the Garmi 890 and 1090 like I am, this is for you: The Garmi 890 has a smaller screen size (7.87 4.82 0.79 inches) and is lighter. That's why it's about $200 more affordable. But for the Garmi 1090, you will experience an impressive 10-inch 1280800 pixel IPS display. It includes a custom RV routing system that considers the weight and dimensions of the motorhome to analyze and recommend the best possible RV route. In short, choosing between the Garmin RV 890 and RV 1090 depends on whether you prefer a smaller device or a GPS navigation device with a larger screen.

So SeilerBird, what model of GPS is that?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I was looking at the Garmin RV890 but I saw that it worked with your smartphone in bluetooth mode running the Garmin Drive app. I figured before I ordered the 890 I would install the Drive app on my phone first. Well, after an hour plus watching the little "spinner" going around and around and displaying "pending" I cancelled the app install and decided to look elsewhere. Don't know what the problem is with the android app but don't want to piss away money on a product that might not work correctly.

Update...... Tried it with the wife's phone and it worked so I now know it's my phones problem. Did some digging into the files and "updates" and found a number of files waiting to be updated. Ran those and deleted some unused apps and now the Garmin Drive app installed. Weird machines!

Last edited:
I tried the 7 day trial on the Togo rv app for trip routing.It did a better job of routing than my Garbage 785. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of a garmin but it does let you route by your rv profile.
It's about $50 a year and there are other things on the app you get.
I may have to get the subscription when I get so p##sed at the Garmin I throw it out the window.
The Garmin is fine to get you within 20 miles of your destination.
The Rand McNally was a way better system. I can't believe it wasn't picked up by another GPS in bankruptcy.

I tried the 7 day trial on the Togo rv app for trip routing.It did a better job of routing than my Garbage 785. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of a garmin but it does let you route by your rv profile.
It's about $50 a year and there are other things on the app you get.
I may have to get the subscription when I get so p##sed at the Garmin I throw it out the window.
The Garmin is fine to get you within 20 miles of your destination.
The Rand McNally was a way better system. I can't believe it wasn't picked up by another GPS in bankruptcy.
I like dedicated GPS for the actual trip. I will not depend on internet access for the trip. Planning? Sure, no problem.

I am not sure what problems you have but I have been using Garmin for more than 30 years. Today it got me to the correct curb cut at a Walgreens 35 miles from the campground so could get my booster shot.

I am not sure what problems you have but I have been using Garmin for more than 30 years.
Garmin certainly has its issues also. For an example, when I searched for the closest REI store. There was no way to enter it so everything with REI wasn't on the list, such as Reid's Tires, so much stuff with "rei" in it that the real REI was too far away to be listed even though it was only ~20 miles away.

IIRC, it was the Rand McNally that ONLY showed REI and NOTHING else.

But over all, I still like Garmin the best, but it really depends on what I am trying to find. I normally travel with two different GPS units of different makes because of such issues.

-Don- Everglades, FL

I really like the Garmin 770 we have. It has limitations, like all of them. I use Garmin BaseCamp for route planning and back it up with Google Maps. Very few problems.

I really like the Garmin 770 we have. It has limitations, like all of them. I use Garmin BaseCamp for route planning and back it up with Google Maps. Very few problems.
Me too. My DW navigator hunts stuff on her phone as we drive. I have no xpectations that every store, gas station, park or anything will be in the gps database. It is nice when it is but gps + phone is still better than an old paper map & yellow pages.

This last trip it was 2 state parks in Georgia picked from their data base.
I guess I just have to get used to double checking it.

That Togo app is part of the huge group that owns Thor and 1/2 the RV industry

Back
Top Bottom