new Generator hard to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbunkley

We just bought a new generator to replace our old Onan Microquiet 4000. Runs great but is hard to start. It takes 3 or 4 times to get it to fire up. Any suggestions?

^^^^^^^^Good advise above.^^^^^^^

My Microquiet 4000 needs primed after just a couple of days "sitting".  Gotta admit I didn't even know I could prime it from inside the coach until I read it on the forum some time ago. (Hmmmm maybe I really should read the manual.)  Mine seems to have about a 5-second delay so I hold the switch in the "Off" position for about 20 seconds to prime.  Now it usually starts on the first or second attempt.....but I never hold the starter engaged for more than 4 or 5 seconds then a 30 second rest. (I recall that being described as a "pulse start" technique by at least one poster in the past.)  Checking the automatic choke is on my "to do " list.

Safe travels........... ed s

Out of curiosity, what generator did you buy to replace your "Micro" ?

I hold mine closer to 30 seconds. Or better yet go to the local switch  you may hear the fuel pump kick in hold a few seconds (till it stops  clicking) then press start and see if that works.

I also had a sticky choke. may again.

It may also be the choke adjustment, there is a locking set screw and a knob/dial you turn to adjust the automatic choke.

The gen we bought to replace our Microquiet 4000 is an Oman QG 4000. It bolts right up with no problem at all. Took about an hour or so to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom