New Generator power question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckD

Eagle River AK to Farmington NM in Dec 09
Help please!!! Just bought the Champion dual fuel 4650 and an running for break in. Lights and fans and vents work. My new southwire surge guard say “open ground”. “gND High now 1 volt.” “No BLE peers.” The tv, microwave are not on and fridge said no AC and I didn’t try the air conditioner. I can’t see any fuses that have tripped. I’ve been reading that a surge guard won’t work with a non grounded generator. May I skip the surge guard and plug into the 30 amp?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 3
I’ll try that later when I cen get a wire from store. Would I just attach the wire from a bottom screw of the generator to the frame??? Sorry, not electric savvy. For now I just removed the surge guard and plugged my 50amp into 30 amp adapter into the generator. Microwave, tv , fridge all work. I’ll try ac s tomorrow after break in time

I’ll try that later when I cen get a wire form store. For now I just removed the surge guard and plugged my 50amp into 30 amp adapter into the generator. Microwave, tv , fridge all work. I’ll try ac tomorrow after break in time

I’ll try that later when I cen get a wire from store. Would I just attach the wire from a bottom screw of the generator to the frame??
Yep. Or the battery negative for a test, wherever you can find a convenient place. I would run a ten-gauge wire, but it really doesn't even have to be that thick. Very little current is involved.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yup, make (or buy?) a bonding plug and plug it into one of the duplex outlets on the generator. Works fine on my champion dual fuel with my EMS.

I bought an orange cord cap ( male plug ) and just put a 1” bare wire from the green (safety ground) screw to silver (neutral) screw. I used a sharpie to mark it “bonding plug”.

My travel buddy just installed a Progressive HW EMS30 last week and I reminded him that he needed a bonding plug for the generator. I told him what it was and he bought a nice yellow cord end at Home Depot and fitted a short piece of 14 gauge to connect the neutral to the ground inside it. He had some "scrivets" which are the Christmas tree plugs and fasteners used on cars to hold on plastic panels and such underneath, and used one of them to fill the hole in the back of the plug. Wished I had taken a pic. And yes, with the generator running he reached down and pulled it out, and the generator unloaded as the EMS opened and stopped the shore power from going into the trailer. Plugged it back in and the EMS closed and the genny loaded back up.

Charles

how to make one.. Take a common plug like those pituered in the add

Connect Green to Copper (Leave the silvery screw "NOT CONNECTED"
Plug the bonding plug into another outlet on the generator.
WRONG! The brass screw is the HOT lug. The silver screw is the NEUTRAL lug. The jumper should be connected from the (usually) green ground screw to the silver neutral screw to create a neutral ground bond with NO connection to the brass screw. Connecting the ground to the brass will give you plug that's only good for making sure the breaker will pop with a short.

"Pins-Solid Copper"

Can we assume Hughes doesn't know what they are talking about? Solid brass, possibly, copper, no.

Pretty much too easy to make one.
Should I assume it's only a jumper from the ground (green) to the neutral (white) inside that plug?

-Don- Reno, NV

Thats what they do. You only need them with portable generators.

Charles

WRONG! The brass screw is the HOT lug. The silver screw is the NEUTRAL lug. The jumper should be connected from the (usually) green ground screw to the silver neutral screw to create a neutral ground bond with NO connection to the brass screw. Connecting the ground to the brass will give you plug that's only good for making sure the breaker will pop with a short.
You are correct.. Sorry. Very tired due to long day.. Thank you for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom