New here! A few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jiuchessu

I live in Los Angeles. I am looking to buy an RV mainly for business reasons. I want to set up a place to stay in San Diego (2hrs away from Los Angeles) since I make deliveries there and don't want to stay in hotels for cost reasons AND mainly because I also need a place to park my Sprinter Work van that hauls its own Cargo Trailer.

I figured if I buy an RV, find a lot (here is where I will need some help/advice) that has enough space to park my van and trailer, I can save money in the long run and it will also be a convenience thing having all my equipment next to me without worrying about people tagging my white van or white cargo trailer.

Are there lots like this? If so, how do I begging to look for them? what are they called (if they have a specific name)?

Will/can the trailer be hooked up to plumbing? I would have to have to travel to empty it etc...

How much would a lot like this cost more or less?

The image shows my van and the white trailer (I also have a 2nd black trailer that I will need to store so i do need some flat/land space for them. Is this even possilble? Do trailer lots come with this much space?20210409_164842.jpg

I just wanted to say welcome, and in general there are RV parks the specialize in long term rental, as well as parks with sites that are individually owned, many of which come with the same sort of use restrictions one may typically find with HOA neighborhoods. As to specific suggestions I will leave that to those that know the area.

Welcome to the forum! While I can see the merits of your idea and I understand the hotel cost issue... buying an RV decent enough to live in (even short term stints) could carry a pretty high buy-in cost. That all depends on what you'd want, but even an older/cheaper RV around $8k-10k would buy a whole lot of hotel/AirB&B nights. Ongoing costs (aside from lot rental) would also include vehicle insurance and registration, and separate utilities costs which is how most campgrounds with long-term sites handle that. Also these rigs are not maintenance-free, so you'd have to decide if owning/parking one 2 hours away and having to go (or stay) there occasionally to work on it... or pay for ongoing repairs... would be worthwhile.

I don't want to talk you OUT of this idea, but just want you to have a realistic idea of what else is behind the curtain of RV ownership. ;)

You cannot save money buy buying an RV. That reminds me of the song by Jerry Reed, She Got the Goldmine and I got the Shaft. At the end he says "Why didn't I just learn how to cook?". RVs are expensive to buy, operate and maintain. And that is assuming everything goes like it should. It could be worse.

Also, I want to add that maintenance costs for an RV are a lot more expensive than maintenance on a home. I suppose leaving it parked would help on maintenance, but it is still high. Consider that you can buy a small refrigerator for a house for maybe $800, but one for an RV usually costs around $3,000. And tires are also more expensive than car tires and you have more of them!!

You cannot save money buy buying an RV.

I am not so sure.. When I got my Class A it cost about the same as my house was worth. Payments per month were a bit higher but not much... When we moved to full time property tax went down nearly 3,000/year and repairs to the RV.> Well I budgeted 1,000/year and usually had a bit left over (Two years were more expensive)

I did not burn 2,000 in gas a year and with two campground memberships parking cost less per month than natural gas + electric at the house and water was free (another 50/month in savings)

Of course I do a lot of maintenance myself which saved me a bunch. and your cost/savings may vary.

When I got my Class A it cost about the same as my house was worth.

Although the house likely retained or increased in value, and the RV value immediately dropped and continued to do so (as does everything with wheels or a motor).

Again, not to say the OP shouldn't buy an RV for convenience or enjoyment. That's why most of us have them. But for value and cost-benefit analysis, it really should be thought of as buying another car. It just happens to be big enough to comfortably live in. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom