New here, questions on telecommuting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorro

I'm ready to move on from apartment life, but not financially secure enough to be able to retire.  My plan is to purchase a small, older Class C - maybe a mid/late 80's or early 90's Lazy Daze; pick up a telecommuting job and travel the country enjoying our national parks.  In my line of work (data analysis/programming) telecommuting jobs seem to be available, if not always easy to obtain.  My anticipated purchase/start time is sometime between February and June 2013.

I'm sure others have done this sort of thing, if anyone with experience telecommuting would be willing to discuss how they've done it and how it has worked out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
I suggest you explore the forum library for articles on full timing and internet access while on the road.  For telecommuting, you'll need reliable internet access and there are a number of options available to you.  You will probably want more than one method as not all are available everywhere, with the exception of satellite internet.  I worked from our motorhome full time for 13+years, so it is doable.  We also have a few other members that are doing it today and I'm sure you'll be hearing from them as well.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the Forum, Zorro!

I have been full timing for over two years, fully employed by a major healthcare provider and servicer.

I use AT&T cell service, primarily because I have always been an AT&T customer and I have never lacked for voice service. I also use an AT&T 4G MiFi hotspot as well as a Verizon 4G MiFi hotspot. Using these systems, I have been able to roll down the highway with the bride driving and work all day while moving.

Redundant service is critical to me, and I back that up by using campground wifi where it?s usable, which it is not always. Accessing VPN?s seems to tax some wifi setups and all of my work is across one.

You will find areas of the country, especially in the different parks systems, that will not have decent cell coverage and you will have to pass them up.  Many parks are by definition remote and that creates an issue, Yellowstone NP being a prime example.

We have only run across one commercial campground with a cell coverage issue, they knew about it, and could not move the mountain that shadowed their coverage.

You will find a number of articles on the Forum about cell phone signal boosters and wifi signal boosters and I will be adding both to my arsenal, but have been able to work quite well up to now without them.

Telecommuting is becoming more and more available, but do not be shocked as you run across companies that do not believe in it. I was a bit of a pioneer in my current company, but it was done extensively by my previous employer. You will have to do your homework if you are not currently employed by a progressive company that buys into the concept.

Use the search and library functions to find any number of topics related to your question, good luck on your new journey, and welcome, again, to the group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deannelentini @ yahoo. Co
Top Bottom