New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummer41269

My name is hummer41269. Aka. bob we have a pull behind  and on Friday we are getting our first class A ..we are  very excited  to fix it up and take it out ..its a older one but it was the only one we found that did not have any water damage on the in side. we  were so surprised  and it drove well it in need of some  Mechanical repair and update on the in side some .but it has great bones.
the only bad thing is I have to drive 160 miles home .
It is a 1985 holiday rambler aluma-lite  .
The previous owner said its 30ft long and it weighs gross vehicle weight  is 14500 lbs on the tag...
The only  thing I'm kind worried about is  that  I can't find many links about this rig ... if any one has any it would be greatly appreciated....and so needed

Welcome. Remember until you find out how old the tires are please take it very easily.  They may be ready to go no matter how good they look because of age.
As far as links Once you get the rig home figure out the make and model of your appliances and someone will direct you to the correct manual.
Have fun

Yes.. the tires do look good ...but not sure .. no I'll effect on test drive.. but we only drove it maybe 6 or 7 miles
I will definitely  keep it under a 100 mph..lol  ..
any other tips will be great 

We have lot's of  knowledgeable people on here, just come and ask. 

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. I also had a TT and then bought my first class A about 6 weeks ago. I had to drive mine home 1300 miles from Tampa to Rochester NY!

darsben said:
Remember until you find out how old the tires are please take it very easily.  They may be ready to go no matter how good they look because of age.

Taking it easy may not be enough. I wouldn't drive it 160 feet without knowing how old the tires are. You could be jeopardizing your safety and the safety of everyone else on the road. It's like driving a vehicle without insurance. How many would do that? Please, look at the date code before you decide to drive it all the way home unless you plan on taking all back roads and stay off the highways.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires

I ended up on the side of the highway 4 hours from home, changing a tire for this very reason...
Tread looked great when I bought the trailer.... tires were old....lost tread on one side... changed the tire, found somewhere with my size and when I took the other tire off the tread was coming off that one too!!!!

7 years is the max for age

Good luck and stay safe!!

Wow thanks all for the heads up ...back roads it is  ...tires are on my list of things to do...
but it was the last thing on the list to due because  they  expire and it may take a whole year  or more to get the rig  totaly road ready

bugsy123 said:
year 2000, i will update suspension as it feels tippy

I take it that you and the poster are living under the same roof. Is that right? 
Is the year 2000 the year the tires were manufactured?

Update........
Well we drove it home 160 mile ... I'm proud of the old girl....now the new fun starts  ...time to go threw everything  and figure out what works and dont ..first thing is to take the old seals off the all the seams and pipes and reseal all of it to make she stays dry

DebraTorres said:
Hi Bob, this is Debra. I am also new here.
hi debra. ... and welcome to you to....
so on our project we took out the old easy replaceable  items  and all of the carpet  is out ...so what are you working on

Glad you got her home safe and sound....
Sounds like a fun project... Keep us updated!

I'm still working on my "tippyness" feeling on my TV-TT combo.... but I'm at the point were I think I have to replace springs or put in spring assists on the TV... as the WDH doesn't cure as much of the sag in the rear as I was hoping....

There are a lot of great "Assist" items I have seen online (during my research) that seem to work well for motor homes (reading the comments shows that a lot of these things were used on MH)

Keep up the good work!
Patricia
TT=travel trailer
TV=tow vehicle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom