new laptop stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhmahoney

http://www.edgeblur.com/surface.html

Just saw this today. Looks perfect for the RVer. It has a lowered center section for the computer and slightly raised wings for the chair arm. Prevents roasted laps.

Interesting idea, but how many people use a laptop on their laps? :)  I think someone handy with tools could assemble something very similar for a lot less money.

Ned said:
Interesting idea, but how many people use a laptop on their laps? :)  I think someone handy with tools could assemble something very similar for a lot less money.

Ned:

Don't know but I am sitting here watching TV with laptop on my lap. ;D But for those prices it will  stay there.

Ned,

I always use mine on my lap. Most comfortable position for me. I guess that's why they call it a laptop. :)

I never found my lap to be a comfortable working position.

Mine's on my lap in the winter when it's cold, but in summer, who wants a hot laptop on their lap? That's when it sits on the sofa arm (one of the reasons we bought the sofa we have with the wide arms is that they hold laptops quite nicely).

We solved the hot lap problem following a prior forum discussion on the subject. Chris glued a piece of foam to one side of a thin piece of plywood laminate. The foam sits on my lap and the notebook sits on the laminate "top".

The wooden style Tv trays that you can get at Wal-Mart work quit well for a laptop.  Even has room for a regular mouse on the side for people like me who can't stand the built in mouse on most laptops.

John

I too hate the touch pad on notebooks or those silly little "eraser" pointers. I used a piece of laminate that was large enough to accomodate a trackball or mouse.

BTW one reason for the foam on the underside of the laminate was to avoid heat transfer. When the subject was discussed here previously, there were reports of people getting burned legs or, worse still, ....

If you do put a pad on the bottom of a notebook computer, be sure you don't cover any ventilation holes or you will have an overheating problem.  I had a problem with our notebook shutting down due to overheating while travelling south on a sunny day.  Solved it by using the power settings to slow the processor down, thus reducing the heat generated.

1st off, I hate a laptop ?Darn things are too small for these old fat short stubs ?I need the ole Microsoft curved keyboard that hads the separation in it cause I'm too fat to put the thumbs and wrist together. ?But we have a comp desk drawer built into our MH and although it's not perfect it works. On the desktop we have 19" monitor so these old eyes can see it much better. ?So what guess I really need is georgous 21 yr old secretary, but not sure the Boss would allow one. In fact I'm not even going to suggest it. So SHHHHHHHHHHH. ?Don't think I could even set that thing on me lap ( the computer either) . ?Oh well I'll just suffer along with a few others ?

Ned said:
If you do put a pad on the bottom of a notebook computer, be sure you don't cover any ventilation holes or you will have an overheating problem.

Good point Ned. In case anyone missed it, I said that we put the foam on one side of the plywood and the notebook sits on the laminate on the other side. Therefore the notebook sits on the laminate on its own feet and has the same unrestricted air flow as it would on a desk. The foam makes it more comfortable for sitting on a lap than just a piece of plywood, it conforms somewhat to one's legs, and insulates any heat transmitted from the PC to/through the plywood from the legs.

Here's mine. Made from three pieces of 1/2" galvanized pipe, two 1/2" 45? Ells, two 1/2" Floor Flanges, one 1' square piece of 1/4" plywood (I used plexiglass instead). Cost less than $10.

True, it's made for use in the TV or next to the driver in a MH, and it's not as flexible as the Lap-top one shown, but our extra laptop remains on it permanently for GPS navigation.

ComputerStand2.jpg

IowaCamper said:
The wooden style Tv trays that you can get at Wal-Mart work quit well for a laptop.? Even has room for a regular mouse on the side for people like me who can't stand the built in mouse on most laptops.

John

Hi John,

I use the Logitec wireless track ball. Works great and it doesn't have to be moved to make it work. I can put it on the arm of my Ekornes chair. Really slick.

I use my laptop on my lap a lot, but I use those little "lap desktops" that they sell at the office supply stores that have a hard surface with the beanbag underside to stabilize on most any surface.  Along with that, I love, love, love my CoolPad which serves both as a heat dissipator and swivel base for under my laptop.

You can find the CoolPad here, as well as I have seen it at office supply and computer stores:

http://www.roadtools.com/

Pauline

Pauline:

I took a moment and watched the video demo on the roadtool web site.  It does look pretty cool in fact, especially at the price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom