New leaf spings for 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Hi,
Was told during my service appointment at the factory that I should replace my leaf springs in the next 5k miles.
The trailer has 7k Dexter axles.
Can I go with a higher rated spring and is there a better leaf spring or keep the Dexter brand
Should I replace the ubolts
Thoughts on wet bolts
Anything else?
Appreciate all the info
Thanks
Steve

donn

Find a spring shop. There used to be a great spring shop in Portland that could build anything you wanted. When you replace the springs you should replace shackles, bolts etc. Wet bolt kit is a no brainer.. the plastic bushings used from the factory are only good for maybe 10K miles. Wet bolts are a lifetime investment.

Reactions: SMR

Foto-n-T

I broke a spring shackle a few years ago and replaced the springs with what ever the tech recommended but I'm guessing they were at least the same as the OEM ones. Donn is correct though as long as you're there put the wet bolt kit in. I think mine was right at $100 per axle, about the same as the springs and this was installed.

donn

While your at its add a cushion equalizer. It will definitely help smooth out the trailer ride.

Ex-Calif

Are we talking a 6 year old TT?

If so I call baloney on the repair shop.

What indication is there that there is any issue with the springs?

donn

Well, IMHO the axles/springs may be marginal at best.
7K axles this fiver has a 16,000 GVWR. So at best case the axles will have about 12,500 pounds on them. If the OP has never replaced the cheap plastic bushings it's entirely possible the spring eyes are worn out, and thats,what the service shop is referring to and not broken springs.

SMR

It was the factory tech that said the springs needed replacing. I just don't know enough about them to know better.

donn

Find a good spring mfg. Take one off, take it to them and ask them to build you 4 nrw ones. Meanwhile buy a wet bilt kit and cushion equalizer plates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordRybo
Top Bottom