New leaf spings for 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Hi,
Was told during my service appointment at the factory that I should replace my leaf springs in the next 5k miles.
The trailer has 7k Dexter axles.
Can I go with a higher rated spring and is there a better leaf spring or keep the Dexter brand
Should I replace the ubolts
Thoughts on wet bolts
Anything else?
Appreciate all the info
Thanks
Steve

Find a spring shop. There used to be a great spring shop in Portland that could build anything you wanted. When you replace the springs you should replace shackles, bolts etc. Wet bolt kit is a no brainer.. the plastic bushings used from the factory are only good for maybe 10K miles. Wet bolts are a lifetime investment.

Reactions: SMR
I broke a spring shackle a few years ago and replaced the springs with what ever the tech recommended but I'm guessing they were at least the same as the OEM ones. Donn is correct though as long as you're there put the wet bolt kit in. I think mine was right at $100 per axle, about the same as the springs and this was installed.

While your at its add a cushion equalizer. It will definitely help smooth out the trailer ride.

Are we talking a 6 year old TT?

If so I call baloney on the repair shop.

What indication is there that there is any issue with the springs?

Well, IMHO the axles/springs may be marginal at best.
7K axles this fiver has a 16,000 GVWR. So at best case the axles will have about 12,500 pounds on them. If the OP has never replaced the cheap plastic bushings it's entirely possible the spring eyes are worn out, and thats,what the service shop is referring to and not broken springs.

It was the factory tech that said the springs needed replacing. I just don't know enough about them to know better.

Find a good spring mfg. Take one off, take it to them and ask them to build you 4 nrw ones. Meanwhile buy a wet bilt kit and cushion equalizer plates.

We are now in Florida and I was hoping to have a better shot at getting springs local. Called a few shops and no luck on a build.
One shop has them in stock but doesn't know the brand, another said they don't make what I need and the size doesn't exist for the 3500 lb spring (which I not true) another shop has the spring but not sure of the weight rating. I gave up, I really do want to shop locally but...
Any thoughts on these from Amazon?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy spring sets off the shelf but any decent spring shop would recurve the ones you have and replace any worn or damaged hardware. They can build you any spring you want, and it will be well worth the cost savings over a bought spring to make the effort worth your while.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Don't try to increase the load rating by replacing with higher rated springs. All you'll do is increase the stresses on the rest of the chain including the wheel bearings and spindles, brakes, tires, wheels and the axle itself. Bending the axle is a major cause of wheel alignment issues.

Lou, I agree and will replace the springs and any other component rated just like the existing.

Here's another recommendation for Tampa Spring, who has multiple locations in Florida. They can rebuild or replace just about anything related to suspensions [and steering too, for you motorhome owners).

They are in Tampa, Bradenton, Ocala, Lakeland and I think a few others.

Thanks
We are in Apopka volunteering at Wekiwa Springs State Park. Big Tex was the company that couldn't tell me what brand. I will try Tampa Spring and I found a few more to try and call near me.

Trailer springs are all made in China. Hate to say so but thats pretty much the case with a lot of things. One big problem is the springs not being painted or otherwise protected, they rust a lot, and that weakens the metal. I should have taken mine off and disassembled them, and cleaned and painted them, but I didn't. It seems that every picture or description of a broken spring, including a couple lately, broke about three or four inches from the fixed end and the main leaf is what broke.

Most certainly do something about putting the "rubber" equalizers in place or the standard ones, and get the shackle set with half inch thick shackles and longer bolts and bronze bushings. If you are going to keep this trailer a while, Lippert makes a air bag equalizer.

Lippert Center Point by Trailair Air-Ride Suspension Upgrade - Tandem Axle Etrailer
Lippert Center Point® Air-Ride Suspension System for Tandem or Triple Trailer Axles on RVs

Charles

Last edited:
Unfortunately Tampa Spring was unable to help. I finally got the parts manager at Big Tex trailers to tell me the leaf springs they sell were made by Emco and they are painted, it took less than 5 minutes for him to figure it out. He even gave me the Emco part number. When asked about wet bolts he said he could order but it could be a week or 18 weeks. I don't like when you almost have to beg to purchase a part. I, like most of you, want to make sure the parts I get are right and will hopefully be made correctly. If I do purchase from Big Tex I will the 800 number and get all part numbers and have him order for me.
So any one have any opinions on Emco.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom