New member introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

02Bounder

Hello all,

I am a new member, joining as I am about to jump off the cliff by buying a 'new-to-me' RV, a 2002 bounder M-33R. My wife and I were part of the pull behind set over 20 years ago and got out of it when the kids got older and the trailer got smaller. Now that we are 'empty-nesters' and retirees, we have decided to try and get back into things, as a result of realizing that we miss our dog when we decide to go on a longer vacation than just a few days. We know that we could try and arrange the vacations to where the dog is included, as there is lodging that is 'dog friendly', but we remembered all the fun we used to have camping, so are getting back into the swing of things.

Info on our RV:
2002 Fleetwood Bounder M-33R
Mileage - ~32K
Workhorse 8.1

I will be owner #4 of the unit. #1 didn't have it for long, #2 bought it less than a year from #1 and owned it until January 2014. #3 is the grandson of #2 and was planning on using it for lodging for a job that didn't pan out, so he is selling to us. According to #3 owner, #2 was a mechanic as a career and maintained the unit and also kept it out of the weather in a garage he had. From what I have seen, this appears to be true, as the roof appears to be in great shape, no signs of leaks and caulking maintained, with a clean, not chalky appearance. Sides are in great shape. Decals are in decent shape, given the age of the vehicle. No appearance of window leakage or delamination. Underside looks clean not evidence of abnormal rust or rodent infestation. Only real exterior item noted is that one of the top screws attaching the rear ladder had either come loose or was pulled loose by the people doing the A/C repair and #3 said he would get tht fixed.

#3 owner just replaced one of the A/C units, put all news tires on the ground, had the motor tuned up and the throttle body cleaned and the engine A/C checked out and recharged. When my wife and I went to see it, it was actually at the shop where all the maintenance/repairs were being done.

As with everything used (or is that everything RV), there will always be an issue or things you want to change. I will be taking it to a 2nd inspection person, just to see if the list of 'things' to be concerned with or needing repair matches those of inspector #1. (Maybe this is going overboard?)

I know going in that I will need to replace the passenger side front windshield, as that is cracked. We are also going to go have someone do a thorough cleaning of the inside, carpets/furniture/etc steam cleaned, etc. Also planning on getting a handwash/wax done to the outside to start things off right....and in hopes of staving off the gremlins.

If anyone out there has suggestions or model or the Workhorse frame/engine, feel free to pass those things on to me.

Seeya
02Bounder

I'm one of the in-process buyers.

Looking at the year, the mileage, and the broken windshield, I would be a bit worried that it might have set for prolonged periods of time without the oil, etc. being changed. (The story and representations are nice, but I believe in trust, but verify.)

If you are lucky and they haven't changed the oil, I would do an oil test. If they have changed the oil, plan on doing the oil test after you have put no more than 6,000 miles on it, and hopefully you put more mileage and less sitting time your first 3 months.

I would have a good mech go over it and a private rv reviewer. I would do one of those hydro cleanings on the potty holding tanks, possibly replace the potty, definitely plan on replacing all the rugs and having a wood floor put in, check the tires to be sure they are appropriate for the load and check the DOT. Based on the owner's manuals, I would do full maintenance on every aspect of the rig: levelers, generator, suspension, whatever, and have the roof resealed or put sealer on - whatever is appropriate. Probably try to have a through undercarriage cleaning and put some rust prevention stuff on.

And then cross my fingers and plan a 3 day, then 10 days, then three weeks kick her in the butt trips and hope nothing bad happens, but be ready for anything.

There are other things, but these are the top of the list, and I don't even own an RV yet. My recommendations reflect my personality and what I think I have learned so far

It is very possible I might end up in the same situation, despite my being the buyer from hell, and being kind of hard nosed as to looking at the maintenance schedules on all the chassis and home "stuff" and looking for evidence of all the maintenance being done - invoices, written logs.

Best, and I will be interested in how this sorts out for you, so hope you will keep us updated. 

Make sure the Workhorse Bosch brake recall work has been done. If there are no records with the coach, I think it can be verified from Workhorse records using the VIN. Not sure how you get at this info any more, though, since Workhorse is a defunct subsidiary of Navistar.

All in all, this sounds like as good a rig as could be expected from a 2002 gas chassis coach. Get one of the RV Buying checklists from the RVForum Library (see button on menu bar) and go through all the appliances and systems carefully. I wouldn't necessarily be much concerned if you find some more problems, but you want to go into the deal knowing what it is. No post-sale surprises. If you don't want to do that yourself, an RV inspector is an option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom