New Member looking at Toy haulers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mstyrain

I am a new member and am getting ready to upgrade from a truck bed camper to either a 5th wheel toy hauler or a travel trailer toy hauler. I am looking at a 2006 Thor 275WTB and dealer specs show that it is 30 feet. Which is about 5 feet longer than I have pulled before. Does anyone know if by 30 foot they mean what is behind the truck or does that include the bed area that sits over the back of the truck?
Thanks in advance for any input:)

Welcome to the Forum!

Camper measurements are not standardized in any way.  TT are the worst.  For a FW, the 30 ft will likely be the overall length from the front edge to the back bumper  -  OR  -  Interior length.  Both will include the front overhang.  The model number may or may not have anything to do with the FW length.

Lol, that's what I was afraid of. I attached the googled floor plan, maybe it will make more sense to you than me. It's for sale by a private owner and when I asked he didn't know or offer to measure it so I guess I need to just go see it or forget about it:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.05.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 9.05.36 AM.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
Odds are the 275 refers to the floor plan length, i.e. a usable size of about 27 feet. It would not include the tongue on a travel trailer, so if it is a TT, the overall length is likely to be about 30-31 ft. A fifth wheel rarely has a front extension more than 18-20", so the overall length is 1-2 ft more than the usable length.

As Grashley says, there is no standardization and marketing people tend to exaggerate where possible. Model numbers are just  arbitrary designations. Many RV manufacturers use an approximation of the usable length as part of that number, plus some letters to suggest a key attribute of the layout. Examples might be "RK (Rear Kitchen) or "BH" (Bunk House). but trying to make a comparison based on model numbers is an exercise in futility.

The last trailer we had was a "272", 28 1/2' floor, 34' hitch to bumper. Out motorhome is a 31DS, 33' bumper to bumper, our fifth wheel is a 36RL, 1" shy of 40' long. The industry's number designations make no sense.

According to NADA / RV,  a 2006 Vortex by Thor Toy Hauler Series M-275 WTB  is 30 ft by 8'5", 2 axles and weighs 8700# dry and has no slides.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2006/Vortex-by-Thor-Ind/M-275-WTB/4096668/Specs

Friends of ours had a 40' toy hauler, and I could not get over the lack of room in the kitchen/dining area because of the garage part taking up so much room. I did not like the layout at all.

Bill

billwild said:
Friends of ours had a 40' toy hauler, and I could not get over the lack of room in the kitchen/dining area because of the garage part taking up so much room. I did not like the layout at all.

Bill

Garages in toy haulers can range in size from 10 -40 feet not all are huge and take up a lot of space and can be used for a variety of things increasing their functionality, they are great for storing bikes etc but also dogs, kids that dont come with  you all the time as the bed folds up out the way, office space for some, the table is huge so that if you have guest you can sit 6 people comfortably, its great for storing wake boards etc and changing in after a day on the boat. I love mine it has an 11ft garage and sometimes i wish it were a few feet bigger. Very very versatile 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom