new member looking to fulltime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tureen62

My wife and I are RNs who are looking to work around country in 5th wheel.
Have 2 girls, 10 and 6 who will be with us. I am looking at bunkhouse model in the
Everest and Cardinal. At least the 35' model. Looking to pull it with Chevy/GMc 3500
Crew DRW. Is truck enough and is anyone out there doing something similar??

>>My wife and I are RNs who are looking to work around country in 5th wheel... Is truck enough and is anyone out there doing something similar??<<

On my way to Alaska, 4 yrs ago, I met up with a couple on their way to Anchorage. She had lined up a nursing job at a hosp. He was a retired fireman. Her winter job was at a hosp in Yuma.

One forum member tests patients for a government agency and they stay 3-6 weeks in each location.

Others will comment on the truck & trailer part of your question.

tureen62 said:
My wife and I are RNs who are looking to work around country in 5th wheel.
Have 2 girls, 10 and 6 who will be with us. I am looking at bunkhouse model in the
Everest and Cardinal. At least the 35' model. Looking to pull it with Chevy/GMc 3500

Give us the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of the trailer (dry weight + carrying capacity)  and the year, engine size, and rear end ratio of truck and we will give it a look see.

Welcome aboard - you've come to the right place for friendly advice.

Looking to pull it with Chevy/GMc 3500

Is the truck a diesel model with 5 or 6 speed Allison transmission? If so, probably OK. Please provide make & model details, including engine, transmission, rear axle ratio, etc. and we can look up the tow capacity in the GM trailering guide. Crew cab 3500 diesels are generally rated to tow trailers up to about 16,000 lbs, but your max would be less because you will have 4 people and associated gear onboard the truck while towing. Any and all weight carried in the truck must be subtracted from the theoretical max trailer weight.  Therefore you should only be considering trailers that have a GVWR of somewhat less than 16,000 lbs.

truck is 3500 diesel 6 spd allison tran. crew cab 3.73 rear
5er greatest GVWR is 14500
      smallest is 13860

Then 16,000 lbs is the max trailer weight, per the Chevy Silverado towing specs. I'm pretty sure the GMC is identical.  As I stated previously, you must subtract from that the weight of everything carried in the truck - even the fifth wheel hitch.  14,500 is probably right around the max trailer you should consider.  I know of people towing more than that, but you have your family on board and surely want to stay well within safe limits.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom