New Member with a few motor home questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncluley

My wife and I are about to purchase our first motor home -- a diesel pusher.  We're moving up from a 1999 27' 5th-Wheel w/o slides.

Q-1:  Anyone have any knowledge/experience with Tiffin Phaeton coaches?  We'd like input before committing to the purchase of a 40-TSH Phaeton.

Q-2:  Anyone have any experience in towing a Honda CRV that they would like to share?  We think a new Honda CRV might be the best vehicle for us to tow even though the odometer runs when it is being towed.

Q-3:  What is the best braking system for the towed vehicle -- Apollo Braking System (Blue Ox), BrakeBuddy (Hopkins), Unified Tow Brake (US Gear), or ???

Thanks,

Norm

Hi Norm and welcome.

I've heard only good reports about Tiffin, although I've never owned one myself.

Since you're going to be buying a diesel, which has air brakes, why not go with the M & G air brake system. Once installed, it's no hassle hookup, nothing to move into or out of the toad and nothing to get in the way.

The BrakeBuddy almost always gets good reviews, but I had nothing but problems with the Roadmaster BrakePro system sold by Camping World

I have heard mostly good reports about Tiffin motorhomes.  Perhaps a Tiffin owner will see your message and give you some personal experience.

We tow a Honda Accord and have friends that tow a CRV.  I don't believe the odometer would run while towing as it's probably an electronic one.  Ours doesn't run while towing.

We have the Apollo brake system and like it.  Blue Ox is one of the better companies with respect to service.  We also have their Aladdin tow bar.  The choice of a braking system is one of tradeoffs, as are most things in RVing. The air brake systems, like M&G, require a modification of the towed vehicles brake system, and sometimes of the motorhome brake system as well.  They are also not as portable if you change towed vehicles.  The standalone brakes, like Apollo and Brake Buddy, can be moved to a different vehicle with no problems and require no modification of either vehicle.  Other systems require more or less modifications in between these two extremes.  As with most things, you will find satisfied (and unsatisfied) users of all of the choices.

Norm:

We are one of Ron's friends with a CRV and we do love it- light weight, handles well, and great interior room.

The odometer does not record when towing. The only add-on I use is a switch to turn off the #8 (Miscellaneous) fuse when towing. Over long trips the battery was running down if we did not drive the CRV every 2-3 days.

We use the M&G brake system and I am going to buy (or make) a light to show when the brakes are applied similiar to the one described in the Forum discussion going on at the moment. I snagged the break-away switch on the tow bar one day and towed the CRV about 200 feet with the brakes on, fortunately it was on gravel and someone stoipped me before any damage was done.

Honda makes a great car.

Ned said:
The choice of a braking system is one of tradeoffs, as are most things in RVing.  As with most things, you will find satisfied (and unsatisfied) users of all of the choices.

Both very true statements Ned.

Back
Top Bottom