new member, with a roof question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slpdave

Hello, my wife and I are considering buying a 5th wheel sometime in the next couple of years.  could be sooner, could be later. 

my question is this,  My in-laws have a cutom Newmar 5th Wheel camper, man is it nice.  the father-in-law says when we get serious buying be sure to get a camper with a fibreglass roof - stay away from rubber roofs.  He is giving this advice without any explanation of why.  We have a rubber roof on our office building that is 30 years old and it is still holding up fine so I don't have anything against a rubber roof personally.

my question is this, is there something to be feared with a rubber roof on an RV (5th Wheel Camper). 

also the 2 brands that have a camper to fit our needs are Pilgrim International and Coachmen.  Are those 2 brands any good as far as dependability?  I am not averse to having to work on something (remodeling an old house, do my own repairs on my car and lawn equipment) but I don't want something that will break when stored for 2 months.

also we do not have a camper at this time so I have nothing to base an opinion on.

David

I'm not a roof expert but I recently bought a new fifth wheel and when shopping for insurance I found that several of the major insurance companies gave discounts if the trailer had a rubber roof.

I always thought that a rubber roof was good thing.  Seal well because they are secured well below the cap, and easy to maintain/repair. 

What do the experts say????

Having had a metal roof, a rubber roof, and a fibreglass roof I would prefer the fibreglass roof over either of the others.

Back
Top Bottom