new member with problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madfish

Hello folks, i just joined and am originally from Bastrop, La currently living in Oden, ark---my problem is with my water heater on my 05 tiffin allegro bay---it fires up in elec and gas but the water doesn't get hot or even warm---any suggestions? thanks for any ideas!!!

Welcome to the RV Forum madfish

That a nice part of AR your living. Hoping to get moved back to AR soon. And now on to your problem.

Is you water heater (WH) in bypass mode?
Are you sure you have water in the WH?

Huey Pilot VN----TY for your service---and yes i do have water in the heater---ty for your reply!!

Check to make sure you do not have both valves/faucets open on an outdoor shower or another location that will mix the hot and cold together. We had it happen on our rig-I had left both outdoor shower valves open from winterizing and forgot about it when getting going the following spring.

The most common cause of "It does not get hot" is either a 3-valve bypass system or an outside shower (or the inside for that matter) Explanation follows.

3-valve system in bypass you open one valve and close two (The one you open is the "Middle"
To use you open the top and bottom and CLOSE the middle. if you do not close it the water gets plenty hot but the cold water simply flows through the bypass.

Many RV showers have Cut Off valve on the shower head  It happens (i have never done it but I"ve seen it a couple times) where you open the hot and cold mixer valves. but cut off at the head.  and again water bypasses the heater via the shower fixture..

On my water heater there is a bypass valve that will not allow hot water to enter the system if it is in the wrong position. Look for three valve near the water heater. One will shut off flow to the inlet, one shuts off flow to the exiting hot water and one loops the hot water back into the tank.

First question is whether the tank gets hot but the water at the faucet does not, or neither gets hot. Presumably if the heater "fires up", the tank gets hot, but need to verify that. If the Pressure Relief valve on the tank is hot to the touch, you can assume the water inside is hot. Also, is the water at the faucet room temperature or warm but not hot. In other words,is there partial hot water flow.

If the tank is hot, then you have a heated water delivery problem. The likely causes have already been mentioned, bypass valves in wrong position or a stuck check valve at the tank exit or entrance. Either prevents hot water from reaching the faucets. Sometimes you get a brief flow of hot water but it quickly gets cooler. That indicates cross flow, where water from a cold line crosses over into the hot. This can happen in any faucet that mixes hot & cold and is left open, e.g. the outside shower faucet.

Gizmo100 said:
Welcome to the RV Forum madfish

That a nice part of AR your living. Hoping to get moved back to AR soon. And now on to your problem.

Is you water heater (WH) in bypass mode?
Are you sure you have water in the WH?

Hey, Giz, want to buy a house and 9 acres near Mountain View?

Old_Crow said:
Hey, Giz, want to buy a house and 9 acres near Mountain View?

Well the deal my wife made was....
1 I retire - Done
2 Sell this house in Alabama - Anyone want to buy a house in SE Alabama
3 We move to AR and find a LAKEFRONT home so I can go bass fishing right out my backyard.
4 The house has to be less than a hour from her Mothers house.

I was just looking at Mt View on Google maps to check the best route from Barney..I was thinking of checking out the music downtown on our next visit. Driving time 1 hour, 20 min

We're actually a bit west of Mtn View, in Fox.  An hour and 16 minutes to Barney, 45 minutes to Devil's Fork(my favorite campgound on Greer's Ferry Lake).  17 miles out of Mtn View...we bought the house 24 years ago to be out of town, now the reason we're having trouble selling it.  Seems no one wants to live in the woods anymore.

Seems no one wants to live in the woods anymore.
It takes a certain kind of person. Or maybe a certain attitude.  We live in a heavily treed rural area surrounded by the Ocala National Forest. "City folk" come out here and exclaim how beautiful it is (and how cheap the property), and some of them buy here. Then the leaves and pine needles clutter their pristine yards and they get scared when 80 ft tall sand pines sway in the breeze, so they start cutting down the trees in their yards. They really didn't want to leave the city afterall...

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It takes a certain kind of person. Or maybe a certain attitude.  We live in a heavily treed rural area surrounded by the Ocala National Forest. "City folk" come out here and exclaim how beautiful it is (and how cheap the property), and some of them buy here. Then the leaves and pine needles clutter their pristine yards and they get scared when 80 ft tall sand pines sway in the breeze, so they start cutting down the trees in their yards. They really didn't want to leave the city afterall...

After the first winter in our house, we both ended up driving 4x4's so we could get in and out whenever we wanted to.  In '07 there was a big ice storm throughout the south.  Stone county Arkansas was hit pretty hard.  It took my neighbor and I about 8 hours to cut our way to the paved road.  It took the power company 14 days to get all the poles and wires back up to restore our power.
My kids came out and we cut down 14 trees in the immediate vicinity of the house because they had either come down or broken off.
Never thought of moving, and even our camp hosting jobs have been in the real boonies.

Back
Top Bottom