The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnausc

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and looking for good information. I'm 62, a divorced female, and looking to buy my 1st RV. I want to travel and see the United States. I've only camped once or twice, and I could use some good advice. I will probably be traveling alone most of the time, and occasionally may have a friend or my 2 little grandsons. What would be the best RV that would be easy for me to handle? I do at least want a wet bath, and to sleep 2 or 3 people. Price is a consideration- I don't want to spend over 15,000, and I would prefer to buy a used unit. I have looked at Scamps, Little Snoozy, Little Guy, Happy Camper and some others. I just want something I can handle pretty easily by myself. My towing vehicle will be a Ford F150.
I appreciate any help you can give me!

Donna

First, you need to find out what your F-150 can tow.  That can vary depending on towing package, if any.

Then, when you look at trailers, you need to add maybe 30% of the weight of the empty trailer to determine if it is something you can tow.  (I am sure trailer owners will be more specific.  I drive a motorhome, so am not that familiar with trailers, but I do know that you need to add the weight of your belongings and people, which add up fast.)  Another thing you need to look at is storage for your belongings and water and sewage tank capacity.  Trailers tend to have less storage storage than motorhomes or 5th wheels, but you can make up for some of that by putting a hard cap over the back of your pickup truck and storing some stuff there.

Frankly, the easiest RV for you to handle would be a smaller Class C, because a motorhome is easier to back up.  But I am somewhat biased as a motorhome owner.  However, I do know of a lady in her mid-80s who owns a small trailer and travels all over the country by herself, and does just fine!

Anyway, don't let anyone tell you that you are too old to do this.  There are lots of us older women traveling alone. 

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good for you getting out there and exploring your wonderful country.  I am sure some folks can give you some suggestions, as Judy says you need to ensure your vehicle can safely tow whatever you buy.  Make sure you do your homework and do not believe any salesmen as a lot of the time they are not familiar with towing and may not give the best advice.

Good luck with your search...  If you have any questions please ask.

Welcome to the RV Forum Donna

As stated you will need to know what the truck can handle as far as weight.

Inside the driver's side door you will find a sticker that will show you the total amount of cargo weight you can carry. ( I attached a sample to compare to what you find.). Come back with that information and the fine folks here will be able to help steer you closer to what your looking for in a camper.

Attachments

• wt cap.jpg
    wt cap.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom