New Mexico is not a good place for RVing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it strange that anyone can even drive through it,    and not say that most all of New Mexico of is beautiful...

any larger city is just about the same in every state..... not very good places for RVing.

I guess    'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

This all sounds like the time we took a 3-week jaunt "out west" back in 2007. We spent 2 days in Utah and had a miserable time - crappy campground, 25 mph on some mountain passes, a busted alternator, and a museum (which was our primary reason for being there) that we were unaware had recently closed. To this day, whenever I hear the word Utah, I cringe. At least now we can joke about it. :)

Anyone who's done the RV thing for any length of time has had that one trip from Hell that they will never forget...... ;)

This story doesn't have anything to do with RVing.  Born & raised in NM.  We traveling home for Dad's funeral, late at night and driving on one of the roads that go on forever, with sagebrush & cactus the only thing to see, except for the big, beautiful stars.  It was very quiet, most everyone asleep when my 8 year old grandson, from the back of the Suburban, goes, pssst, pssst Nena, do you hear the Mothership calling?  We all busted out laughing and no more sleeping. 

Last time I went through NM was in 82 on a motorcycle on I 40, I think it was. Anyhow it was 17*F and dark, stopped just past Santa Rosa at a small diner to warm up, first time I ever had green chili. Met up with a guy who was travelling from New Orleans to Albuquerque, we rode into town as the sun was coming up. I took I 25 south to Socorro and then on to Magdalena on Rt 60 then on to Show Low, Az. There was a lot of cool stuff including the worlds Worst Apple Pie at the end of a 22 mile long straight stretch of road and the Telescope Array.
I can't wait to get back out there and show it to my wife, it was spectacular to say the least. This time it'll be in the motorhome since she can't ride long distances anymore, but the bike will be onboard.

Frizlefrak said:
Anyone who's done the RV thing for any length of time has had that one trip from Hell that they will never forget...... ;)

Amen, amen to that.  Last trip to bury ashes of MIL.  Trip cost over $5000 (new AC compressor and remanufactured Allison Tranny) and the trip only lasted 6 days.  It will be hard to beat that as the trip from hell.

Dust and Deming, I do not want to be there when the wind blows. We enjoyed our stay there, beautiful place to be, but when the wind blows,  the dust is simply amazing.

OLDRACER said:
Dust and Deming, I do not want to be there when the wind blows. We enjoyed our stay there, beautiful place to be, but when the wind blows,  the dust is simply amazing.

Avoid it in April and May at all costs!  :)

Although the last week or so we've had a lot of wind.  Driving me up the wall....allergies are in overdrive. 

Well, just noticed I'm wearing an Indian Concho belt that I bought in Taos.  It could have been made in China, but hey I got it in Taos New Mexico.  There is quite a lot to see and do around there.  Just across the mountain is the beautiful Angel Fire Valley.  The Enchanted Circle is a great drive.  If you like Western history, Kit Carson's home is open for tours.  I enjoy northern New Mexico.

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom