New mid level coach or well kept used highline coach ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kenneth

As we narrow down our search, we have come to an impass. We love the Holiday Rambler/Monaco line of mid level coaches (Ambassador.etc..) But ! We have looked at some used American Coaches (Dream,Tradition) and have become torn between the two !
Now I know some of you seasoned veterans are proud owners of the American Coach line and would like your opinions of what you would do in my situation ( LIMITED BUDGET). We are leaning towards the used coaches.

I would opt for the high line coach. I did and glad of it. Lots of extras come with these coaches and if you go with QUALITY instead of cheap- you will be miles ahead. Ernie- driving a vintage Wanderlodge

Having owned an American Eagle since August 1998 we can highly recommend an American Coach product.  Excellent after sales support. American Coaches 1999 and older have IFS independent Front Suspension.  Driveability is much better than a straight axle and less fatiguing.

Ron,

The 2002 - 2003 models I have been watching also have the IFS on them, another plus ! Thanks for the comments , I believe we will get more for our money by purchasing a pre-owned coach that has been taken care of, opposed to buying the new one. Hopefully the right deal will present itself soon !

In general I would recommend the used coach, no matter what your budget.  You ar eliekly to get more value for your $ and suffer far less initial depreciation by buying used. 

If you like  the new Ambassadors, why not a used Endeavor or even an Imperial?  There are plenty of used, low mileage  Holidays on the market.  But the American coach line os excellent also.

We purchased a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire DP almost two years ago and couldn't be happier with our decision.  We figured we could get a gently used diesel for the about the price of a new gas model.  We also purchased the extended warranty which we felt would protect us from any major repairs (some would disagree on buying the warranty). 

If you decide on pre-owned, check the age of the tires.  I believe the rule of thumb is if the tires are 5-7 years old, they need to be replaced.

I agree with the others on buying a gently used rv rather than new.
let someone else suffer the first year depreciation, and get the kinks out while under warranty.
if you buy one just a couple years old, you may still have factory warranty transferable to you.
We're looking at the Holiday Rambler Neptune line, same as Monaco Cayman - they have discontinued the 32 pbd for 2006, but there are some very nice 2004 and 2005 moodels out there for about 2/3 the cost of new.
good luck - and keep looking until you say "this is the one I want", and when you see it, you'll know when it's the right one.
don't question it - because if you buy something less than what you want, you'll keep saying " I knew we should have bought that one we really liked instead".
take it from one who knows the feeling, trust your gut.
try "rvsearch.com" for a way to look at a lot of models online without driving around.

Just looked for Tiffin MH @ rvsearch.com.? I found 100 listings.? Only 4 or 5 from private owners, the majority of the listings were from Lazy days.? The asking prices for any of the listings were not competitive with NADA Appraisal Guide.? I have a better working knowledge with the Tiffin brand.? Maybe someone else can check on their area of expertise.  Any  other sites with better pricing and private owners?

Try rvtrader.com, rvclassified.com, motorhomesonsale.com, dieselpushers.com, or motorhomeusa.com

There are dozens of "rv for sale" sites, some get a lot of dealer listings and others mostly private.  rvtrader.com has both but you can exclude dealer listing, if I remember correctly.

Thanks folks,

Looks like the short list just got longer  ;D

So many nice coaches out there, its painful shopping around with beer money looking at the champagne prices  :(

I don't guess anyone out there has got an extra $100k laying around to stop my agony ? ;D ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom