New MS Streets & Trips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Every time I tried upgrading my DeLorme Street Atlas to a more current version, I was very disappointed with the user interface and wound it returning it. That left me with something like a 5+ year old mapset in my SA 6 and a 2 year old mapset in my Garmin. Been looking for something to get some more current content. Was in Costco yesterday and picked up a copy of 2005 Streets & Trips for $15 after rebate. By the way, the rebate can be done all online, just enter data from the register tape and 4-6 weeks later you get your check :)  No UPC codes to cut out, no copies of receipts, etc. :D :D  I did miss out, I believe that Costco had another $10 off last week.

Anyways, I installed M&S and right out of the box I was locating places, routing our trip to Moab and updating construction activities, which the program showed nicely on the route map. So much easier than the SA interface on the last version I tried. Can't speak too much yet for accuracy and completeness; it located my house address a half block away, but it does show Portal RV properly ;)

I've completely removed SA and will rely on S&T now.

Bernie,

I only made it to SA8 or SA9 before I dumped them too.  Will have to look at MS Streets & Trips again for my lookup progam.  I use the Garmin when traveling.

The version of S&T being sold at Costco has provision for GPS. I use the Garmin while driving and will probably not hook up the laptop with S&T at the same time. I am not sure that S&T will accept the Garmin 26xx input for GPS service. I was no longer able to connect to SA when I changed from the Garmin SPIII to the 2610. Among other things, the SPIII had a serial connection to the laptop, the 26xx has a USB connection and the SA was looking for a serial connection.

I was looking for updated maps and POIs for planning, pre-departure reviews and locating places. IMHO, for $15, it is an excellent upgrade from older versions of SA.

Thanks Karl & Bernie. I have two GPS receivers, both of which have serial/RS232 cables for NMEA data.

IMHO, for $15, it is an excellent upgrade from older versions of SA.

Does that mean it's an upgrade only i.e. that I need a prior version to be able to upgrade to the new $15 copy, or is it a complete new copy of the new rev?

Tom said:
IMHO, for $15, it is an excellent upgrade from older versions of SA.

Does that mean it's an upgrade only i.e. that I need a prior version to be able to upgrade to the new $15 copy, or is it a complete new copy of the new rev?

Tom

Sorry I wasn't more clear. It is NOT a program upgrade, it is an upgrade in information and capabilities. You don't need any prior software to install. ::) ::)

Thanks for clarification Bernie. Chris was at Costco yesterday and I didn't see your message until this morning  :)

BernieD said:
Every time I tried upgrading my DeLorme Street Atlas to a more current version, I was very disappointed with the user interface and wound it returning it. That left me with something like a 5+ year old mapset in my SA 6 and a 2 year old mapset in my Garmin. Been looking for something to get some more current content. Was in Costco yesterday and picked up a copy of 2005 Streets & Trips for $15 after rebate. By the way, the rebate can be done all online, just enter data from the register tape and 4-6 weeks later you get your check :)? No UPC codes to cut out, no copies of receipts, etc. :D :D? I did miss out, I believe that Costco had another $10 off last week.

Anyways, I installed M&S and right out of the box I was locating places, routing our trip to Moab and updating construction activities, which the program showed nicely on the route map. So much easier than the SA interface on the last version I tried. Can't speak too much yet for accuracy and completeness; it located my house address a half block away, but it does show Portal RV properly ;)

I've completely removed SA and will rely on S&T now.

I have run both SA9 and SA2005 side by side with S&T using the same GPS receiver. I have found that not only is the S&T map data base more detailed and up to date than SA, but also the position in S&T is more accurate. That is, the GPS lat/long puts me closer to where I know I am than does SA. The only thing that S&T does not have is a voice command function. At one time S&T only took a serial GPS connection but now it also takes a USB connection. Any GPS that supplies NMEA data will suffice for position data.

BruceinFL said:
At one time S&T only took a serial GPS connection but now it also takes a USB connection. Any GPS that supplies NMEA data will suffice for position data.

Thanks Bruce. I may try to hookup the laptop while driving but I'm not sure I gain enough over just using the Garmin. I do remember that it was nice having the altitude and big picture shown while driving, but nothing that I really miss.

BernieD said:
BruceinFL said:
At one time S&T only took a serial GPS connection but now it also takes a USB connection. Any GPS that supplies NMEA data will suffice for position data.

Thanks Bruce. I may try to hookup the laptop while driving but I'm not sure I gain enough over just using the Garmin. I do remember that it was nice having the altitude and big picture shown while driving, but nothing that I really miss.

The ability to see a big picture at any scale is worth it when you are stuck in a portable parking lot and looking for an alternate route.  ;D

>>The ability to see a big picture at any scale is worth it when you are stuck in a portable parking lot and looking for an alternate route<<

The Garmin works fine for that ;)

I just returned from a short trip down to Oregon and back with S&T 2005. Did not start up SA once.

Better accuracy, very easy to use, heading and speed is absolutely in agreement with compass and speedo, and of course more data available.

S&T and Next Exit is all you need!

I too have recently abandoned Street Atlas in favor of Streets & Trips.  SA2005 is just too much work and the maps of my old SA9 have become obsolete.    S&T is much cleaner & easier to use, though not as eleant if feaures as SA..

I'm using S&T 2003 while awaiting delivery of a copy of SA2005 GPS at  my next mail stop.

I managed to catch Chris on her way home in the car today before she passed Costco. Now have S&T ready to install.

Tom said:
I managed to catch Chris on her way home in the car today before she passed Costco. Now have S&T ready to install.

Tom

Enjoy the install ;D ;D It is a very simple process and I was using it right out of the box.

Bernie

Like you, I had a painless install of S&T. Have my first route plotted - to Moab. Haven't yet played with all the options, so it's not fair to compare it with SA (yet).

Tom said:
Bernie

Like you, I had a painless install of S&T. Have my first route plotted - to Moab. Haven't yet played with all the options, so it's not fair to compare it with SA (yet).

Tom

IMHO, it actually is. We were both able to plot a route to Moab right out of the box with S&T. With SA 200x, I was still scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. Reading the SA manual did little to help and I immediately returned it. With S&T the manual was hardly necessary and I knew I had a keeper after locating Portal :D :D

True Bernie. OTOH at first blush there seem to be things missing from route creation in S&T, but I prefer to wait until I've played with it some more.

IMO the voice command in DeLorme is absolutely essential.

It used to be that Microsoft's software did not have real time GPS update.? Has that been improved?

Also does the MSFT program allow both USB and serial GPS input?

I have things I do not like about Delorme (mainly it is bulky and unweildy) but the things I do like are pretty important to me.? I would love to find an excuse to shift to MSFT.

I also run the DeLorme Topo which is awesome in the Rockies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom