New Orleans West KOA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illine

The trees, concrete slabs, and grass are nice. Not a bad place for overnighters. However, we have been here for two months and have been stolen from twice now. The first time about a month ago. A $3,000 piece of equipment was taken from under our 5th wheel. It was in a black case and looked like nothing special. That same night five bicycles were stolen from within the park. A few weeks later more bikes were stolen. Three nights ago our truck was broken into and a $50 inverter and fishing equipment was taken. That same night our neighbor three sites down had his truck broken into also. We thought our truck was locked and our neighbor said he knew for a fact his was locked. The theives evidentally have a tool of some sort to get in. This park has a tall fence all the way around it but on the back side of the fence there are 2x4s running lengthwise and the theives are climbing over the fence and then going out the front gate. Some campers have actually seen this happen. The owner just shrugs his shoulders and says to call 911! He doesn't seem to care at all. On two sides of the park are very, very bad neighborhoods. We drove through them looking for the equipment that was stolen and they looked like drug havens. I suggested that he put wire on the top of the fence nad he said he would not do that. The sheriff has asked him repeatedly to warn his campers. There have been muggings when campers have walked outside of the park. Also, the owner took our satelite dish down and brought it to us because he didn't want anything at all on his grass. We had permission to put it up from the manager but the owner didn't care about that either. There is cable here but it is not very good. It comes and goes. One night we lost it for hours. The monthly rate here is $360 plus electric plus a $50 electric deposit.? ?We camped here in a Fifth Wheel in June and July 2005.

Unfortunately, there are not many parks to choose from. There are four parks on the east side of town which are in the ghetto area. There is a state park which is very nice and there is also a small 15-site park about 7 miles west of the KOA on Third Street (which turns into River Road). The name of it is Christina RV Park and looks like it's in a decent part of town. Nice concrete slabs and grass but no laundry or cable. I don't think it's in any of the books but if anyone needs directions, I can give them.

Just thought it would be worth the post to save someone else the hassle we've had!

Illine,

Not sure how close you must be to NO but the KOA in Slidell is probably safer. It would be a bit of a drive to downtown but might be worth it. The Mardi Gras campground on the east side of NO is the pits. We stayed there a couple of nights a few years ago. NEVER AGAIN!!!! It rained while there and most of the campground was under water. Also in a slum area that was unsettling.

Yes, the Mardi Gras is one of the four parks I mentioned on the east side of NO. My husband was working downtown for the past two months and we thought we were doing the right thing to park here and still be relatively close to his work area... We won't do this again either. Like I said, it looks really good and if you don't spend too much time here, it may be okay... Oh, well! We are gladly on our way in a couple of days! Thanks!

Well, I got the phone number to Christina's on River Road. It's 504-737-1361 just in case anyone is interested! Thanks, Jim!

Although it's a bit of a drive into New Orleans you'd be far safer at the KOA in Slidell.  It takes about 40 minutes to drive into town.  There's also a lovely State park at Mandeville - and they honor the Golden Age Passport, if you have one.  We were there in the spring, and they were doing lots of improvements to the pool area and building some very nice cabins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom