New Panasonic camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

I plan on going to the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) during the first week of January 2007 here in Las Vegas.  I specifically plan to visit the Panasonic booth to TRY TO find out if they may be announcing or are planning an FZ40 camera that would further improve on my FZ30.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
I plan on going to the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) during the first week of January 2007 here in Las Vegas.? I specifically plan to visit the Panasonic booth to TRY TO find out if they may be announcing or are planning an FZ40 camera that would further improve on my FZ30.

JerryF

Hi Jerry:

I believe they skipped the 40 went to the FZ50 in July of this year.? The significant improvements seem to be:

o 10 vs. 8 mp

o ISO increased to 1600

o 2 vs. 3 FPS shooting speed

o LCD a bit higher res

o TIFF uncompressed fomat dropped

Here is a detailed review.

Bob,

WOW...thanks for the info.  I had no idea they already had a successor to the FZ-30.  Check Garmin, there is a new software upgarde (V 4.80) for your 2610.

Jerry

JerArdra said:
Bob,

WOW...thanks for the info.? I had no idea they already had a successor to the FZ-30.? Check Garmin, there is a new software upgarde (V 4.80) for your 2610.

Jerry

You are welcome, Jerry. It doesn't appear to me that the upgrade would do that much for the FZ30 shooter. Would imagine it is aimed more at those buying new systems or upgrading from earlier Panasonic or other vendor cameras. Interesting that they dropped the TIFF and decreased the FPS number. My first thought is that those where both part of the trade-off in going to 10mp. Unless cropping is important or if doing super size prints, 10mp vs 8 is not that much of an issue w/me.

I may have mentioned here that my nephew in law has a pro level Canon that shoots at 5fps. He did a series of an erupting coke bottle that was really impressive. My XT at a little over 2-3fps was less than impressive in comparison. I don't do a lot of "action" stuff, but if one does, "fps" could be a issue.

Thanks for the info on the Garmin update. I seem to be a tenth of a version point behind. Jerry, I really appreciate your pre-purchase info on the 2610. Am having a ball working with it in and around my current NCal location. BTW, what are the coordinates of the LV CES show? If I am able to travel, will be leaving NCal the day after Christmas.

All,

For anyone who owns a Panasonic FZ-20, 30, or 50 here is a good description of how the Panasonic OIS optical stabilization works. 

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_3883.html

Also, the following discusses, among other things, image blur.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/technology/index.html

JerryF

JerArdra said:
For anyone who owns a Panasonic FZ-20, 30, or 50 here is a good description of how the Panasonic OIS optical stabilization works. 

Jerry

How about a low cost upgrade (and I mean very low cost) from the 20 to the 50. It seems like the Panasonic Photographic Unit is being run by computer guys, everything is obsolete the day you take delivery :mad:  I followed your recommendation on the FZ-20, bypassed spending the money on the 30 and now they have the FZ-50. When does it all end ??? ;D ;D

Bernie,

There is no end!  Computers, Cameras, Boats, Motorhomes, Cars, and so forth are constantly being improved, enlarged, or whatever to get us to buy more.  It's a never ending cycle.

JerryF

It doesn't Bernie.  I attended an all day seminar last Saturday, where it was stated, photography has advanced more in the last 10 years than it all its previous history. 

In 1985 1mb of memory cost $400, today, that same 1mb of memory cost just $0.16

in 1991 Kodak came out with the 1.3 megapixal D100 at a cost of $20,000.  You know what you can buy today.  It will continue along the same track.

It was predicted that by 2009, camera phones would surpass all other camera sales.

BernieD said:
When does it all end ??? ;D ;D

When you buy a DSLR, Bernie. :) Not sure of the 20, but the 30 and 50 have exactly the same lens. Would imagine that Leica is where most of the cost of manufacture is. They add a few low cost features, then up the upgrade price a few hundred. My plan is stay a model or two behind Canons latest and greatest DSLR bodies, as the prices go down on the one I want. In the meantime, I put my glass money into "new" glass vs. buying the same one over and over.

Did you ever read Alvin Toffler's Future Shock? He made the point years ago that change is exponential vs. straight line -- and that technology breeds technology. So each year, change will be exponentially more than last year. In the computer classes I used to conduct I would suggest managers buy new equipment on a Monday -- because vendors liked to announce new products in the Friday Wall Street Journal. That way, they could use their new stuff for a full work week before it became obsolete. :(

Back
Top Bottom