NEW Question One Step Awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

On The Road Again

For what ever reason, my question is not comming up as a new question, so I added it myself. Guess it must be my computer. Could'nt be anything I am doing wrong. OK...SO...Here is my question again...
Hope some one might beable to help. I have a 2003 Fleetwood Southwind that has a one step electric awning.  Been using it a bunch latly, but now that we have parked in a new park and I tried to extend it, it will not extend. When it was rolled up the last time about a week ago, it looks as though the brace's did not set properly in place. Not sure it that is the problem.  I understand that it can be manually opened and that is what I wish to do so I can dry out the awning.  No book in the RV for the one step. Can someone let me know how to manually open and close a one step awning. Thanks very much. Bud n Ann

On The Road Again said:
For what ever reason, my question is not comming up as a new question..

Bud, if you post a message and then look for new messages, yours won't show as "new" because you already read it when you posted it.

I'm not familiar with the One Step awning, but mine is a Careferee One Touch. The owners manual suggests a couple of options in the event that it won't roll in or out, but I don't know if they'd work for your awning. The easiest one to explain is:

Unplug the harness from the outside wall and apply a separate 12V supply to the terminals on the motor cover.

I have a Carefree Awning on my Diplomat and it has a design flaw in that the housing doesnot allow water to drain out.  I was in Florida last year and left it open for an extended period and the Motor Housing filled with water, which in turn rusted the lower 'brush spring' so the brush was not contacting the armature so applying power to the housing terminals did no good.  The only way to move the Awning was to remove the motor.

I did find that the power window motor for a mid 90's Cadillac has the same drive gear and motor mounts so I was able to get one from the local Auto Parts store and install it, having to solder the power to the terminals on the motor was the only disadvantage.

I have drilled a hole in the bottom of the plastic motor cover so the water can run out.

When I got home I contacted Carefree and they sent me a new motor no questions asked so they must have had other complaints.  They said they had they had fixed the water accumulation problem but I looked at the Carefree on a 2007 Diplomat and I did not see any way for water to escape.  From its design I would say that it is next to impossible to keep water out of it if you leave it down for extended periods in the rain.  Am picking up a new Monaco in a few days and putting in a weep hole in the plastic housing will be one of the first things I do.

OK, so it may have been my fault that "new" did not come up. Darn, I so much wanted to blame it on the computer too.
I can see about the water getting into the case and will drill a hole for it as well.  I don't believe that is the cause of why it is not working at this time. Before I left the last camp I tried it and it would not work. Got to the new site and it worked a few times then quite again. Maybe best to take it into Camping World and have it checked out. They sell one step  there and I also need to get the living room slide out awning replaced.  Thanks everyone. Been in BC tourning all the lakes, and towns for 3 months now.  Loving it. Bud and Ann

I couldn't find a description of the One-Step awning on the Dometic/A&E web site, but I think that the WeatherPro is the same awning.  Maybe they changed the name for marketing reasons (they also have a "Two Step" model). Camping World still sells it under the One Step name but A&E no longer lists One Step as a product.

Anyway, here is a link to the Dometic-A&E WeatherPro Manual. which includes instructions for manually extend/retract with an auxiliary power source (battery) and manually retracting without power assist. Also some pictures of the mechanism. Hope this helps.

Here is contact info for Dometic/A&E:
Phone: 1-800-544-4881
E-mail: [email protected]

Thank You so much RV Roamer.  :D  You found the area I needed. True, the weather pro is a bit different, but enough is the same that it gets me to where I need to go to repair it.  They also show that if you email them, they will send out the owners manual for the earlier models, which I guess is the "one step"  Once again, thanks everyone for the help.
Just to throw out a few things, we have been tourning BC for over 2 months now. Been wonderful. Lots of great fishing. BC has more lakes than all of the US put together.  Wonderful Provencial Parks and they are every where in BC. Gas is still expensive, as well as taxes and food. But, wonderful place to visit in the fall. Bud n Ann

Glad to be of assistance. Hope you can find out what's wrong and "git 'er fixed" so you won't have to fool around with the manual procedure.

Maybe a poor ground on the motor?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom