New RV Sales Numbers are in (May Data)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

I just thought some of you who follow the industry would be interested in this:

https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/rv-shipments-may-2019

I looked and can't find used RV sales numbers.  I have been watching many units that fit the floorpan I like.  Very few have sold. 

Since my summer is booked already, I am just using this time to learn the market.  Planning to buy when the right unit comes along or fall/winter.

I am a little concerned about paying too much in a saturated market.

It also could be the weather. We had an exceptionally wet and cold spring season. There was about 2 weeks of nice spring weather and not until May. Then it went straight into the mid 90's.

I also have to wonder if the demographics of RV owners is changing, when travelling I seem to see more and more retirees and fewer and fewer younger families in RV parks these days, vs years past.  It is no secret that we have an ageing population, could it be that the RV crowd is just getting too old to consider buying new RV's?    Just look at organizations like the FMCA where the average member age is well into their 70's, and members under the age of 50 are almost unheard of.

Isaac-1 said:
I also have to wonder if the demographics of RV owners is changing, when travelling I seem to see more and more retirees and fewer and fewer younger families in RV parks these days, vs years past.  It is no secret that we have an ageing population, could it be that the RV crowd is just getting too old to consider buying new RV's?    Just look at organizations like the FMCA where the average member age is well into their 70's, and members under the age of 50 are almost unheard of.
We go to different campgrounds obviously. State and county parks around here are full of young families, primarily on weekends and mostly in towables. I don?t see many young families in motorhomes, and I don?t see many in the few times we stay at more upscale RV parks. I see a lot of them at the KOAs though. Families want pools and playgrounds with space to eat outside, not to sit next to their neighbor?s sewer connection. Of course people with jobs and kid activities don?t camp as many days as us old retired folks do, but there are a lot of units. As for FMCA, people just don?t join anything these days. The age thing is one of the prime reasons they add towables to their membership. They also do not do much at their conventions to be interesting to young folks. At the last one I attended in Gillette, some of the music was too old for me, and I am 64! I talked to some of the National event people, and they took it to heart. They added Sully Sullenburg to the show list, and at least some of the bands are something other than 50s and 60s tribute bands. Note in the data posted, pop ups went down the least. Class Bs took a big hit, and towables went down less than motorhomes.

My observations are similar to UTTransplant.  The size and style of camper (both the hardware and the people  ;) )  depends heavily on where you go.  We encounter lots of families in parks with fewer amenities or catering to smaller RVs or state and local parks. Not so many in the "big rig" parks or even the sections of large parks designed for larger RVs.

Went to two RV dealers today (well known chains) and the only people in there were people needing service and employees.  I would have guessed this time of year with people being on vacation would be a popular time to shop.

And yet the price on used Class B's or small C's keep going up.  I keep expecting a correction, but that doesn't seem to going to happen anytime soon.

Ed

Isaac-1 said:
Just look at organizations like the FMCA where the average member age is well into their 70's, and members under the age of 50 are almost unheard of.

On the other hand, Escapees' Xscapers lifestyle group for working age RVers is growing by leaps and bounds.  Started four years ago, they currently have about 10,000 members who identify as Xscapers, 15% of Escapees' total membership.

https://xscapers.com/what-the-future-holds-for-xscapers/

Hfx_Cdn said:
    And yet the price on used Class B's or small C's keep going up.  I keep expecting a correction, but that doesn't seem to going to happen anytime soon.

Ed

A 25% sales decline in new sales seems like a bubble burst.  Like you, I would expect prices to come down.  Have you been watching to see if they are selling?  I have tons of used RV's saved that have not sold in lots and lots of months.  I suspect I have to wait it out and again in some cases people cant afford to sell them.  I am guessing that used prices will contract but that may lag the new RV sales.

And as others have pointed out, I am sure there are regional differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom