New RVer!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DooDoo On The Road

Hi Everyone! "DooDoo On the Road" here. I'm 50 years of age and reside in (B-r-r-r-r-r-r) Michigan, where the snow is currently falling. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and get to know you all.

I am finalizing a deal on a 2005 Trail Sport TS25S. Just wanted to get any feedback into any reason why I should not sign on the dotted line. I've wanted for years to become an RVer and now with retirement looming and a love for the great outdoors, I'm ready to be part of your community.

I appreciate any comments about the TS25S. I really like it and look forward to meeting you all on the American Highway!!! I've heard so much about the loyalty of RVers and you can count on me to follow suit.

Thanks!!

Hi DooDoo and welcome to our forum. Sounds like you're another one ready to mamke the big decision. Will you be goinng fulltime?

Welcome to the RV Forum Framily.  Sounds like its past time to head on down here to Yuma where we haven't had any snow yet. ;D May as well join us at the RV Forum Quartzsite Rally too.  Lot nicer here than up North.

Anyway Glad you found us.  Please be sure to give us a chance to answer any questions you have relating to the RV lifestyle.

Thanks so much, Ron and Tom!! Indeed, the plan is already in place to scoot to Arizona in May in the new TT, Ron. I drove to CA in 2002 in my Dodge Intrepid. WHAT LOVELY COUNTRY WE HAVE!! Southern Utah is spectacular (but rough on a V6 Intrepid.)

Picked up a 2006 Dodge Dakota with a V8 and 4WD to cart my home on wheels. (What do you fellas like/dislike about Trail-Vision RVs?)

I am looking forward to keeping in touch with you all.

2 to 4 inches of snow expected tonight!!!!!

..DooDoo

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new truck and trailer!  ;D

I don't have any first hand experience with R-Vision trailers, but I towed a 24 foot fifth wheel with a Dakota back around 1997-98 and it performed well.  Dakotas are great -  I really liked that truck!  I have to tell you, though, that the trailer you have chosen is near the Dakota's limits for towing and you should not expect to race up any of those western mountains.  The GCWR of the Dakota is 11,700 lbs and your trailer can go as high as 5900 lbs (it's GVWR), leaving 5800 lbs for the Dakota, passengers and any gear onboard.  Your Dakota will probably weight about 4300 lbs by itself, so you can figure what is left after you add whatever gear and such that  you carry in the truck.  You won't be overloaded, but it will be grunting on steep hills.

You didn't mention which V8 (standard or high oputput) and which transmission, so I can't be more specific.  In my opinion the 5 speed automatic would be the best transmission choice for towing.  4WD was a good choice too - it's amazing how often a nice looking campsite can turn into a slippery trap!

Hi RV Roamer,

Thanks for your gracious reply. My Dakota is the Magnum V8 230 horsies with the 5 speed trans and the Heavy-Duty Service Group (Trans and power steering coolers.) Towing capacity is 6840 lbs.

Think it'll be okay??

My Dakota is the Magnum V8 230 horsies with the 5 speed trans and the Heavy-Duty Service Group (Trans and power steering coolers.) Towing capacity is 6840 lbs.

Think it'll be okay??

As I said, it is certainly OK but not a race horse.  The  tow capacity number listed in the sales brochures is always a bit exaggerated because it is the maximum possible number for that model & engine, without options and anything you put onboard.    The actual tow capacity for your truck is calculated as  its GCWR (which I believe is 11,700 lbs) minus the actual weight of the truck, fuel, passengers, trailer hitch and gear. If you can get a copy of the Dodge Towing Guide, it will explain all this, but they are hard to find (ask your dealer to get you one or to make a copy of his, if he can find it).  Anyway, I suspect you will find the net, available tow capacity is somewhat less than 6840 lbs.

I'm most definitely not trying to scare you in any way - just trying to set your performance expectations to a reasonable level. For towing in the western mountain region, we like to see a rig loaded at 15% or more under its maximum Gross Combined Weight.  That usually makes the driver happy with the performance and keeps the stress on the drivetrain well within design limits.

Is the term GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) familiar to you? If not, I suggest you consult the RV Glossary via the link on the RVForum.net home page.  GCWR, GVWR, GAWR, etc. are explained there and they are numbers you should be aware of with respect to your rig.

Hey There RV Roamer! DooDoo On The Road, here.

I settled on a 2005 Sunline 1950. Took delivery and stored it last Friday. It indeed is a small TT but it works fine for me and few friends. Enjoyed it all weekend even though it's at an RV storage lot.

I plan to take it to Florida in February for a week.

Any tips on what type of generator to power lights, furnace blower and a TV? Friends told me 1,000 watts would do it but I would like your thoughts.

The quality of the coach is really something.

RV Roamer said:
. If you can get a copy of the Dodge Towing Guide, it will explain all this, but they are hard to find (ask your dealer to get you one or to make a copy of his, if he can find it).? Anyway, I suspect you will find the net, available tow capacity is somewhat less than 6840 lbs.

He could give a look see here:? http://www-5.dodge.com/vehsuite/TowingGuide.jsp

I might also add that our concern about 15-20% tow capacity/GCVWR headroom is not the mountains in the West, it is the altitudes encountered and the severity of long high altitude grades on interstate highways found there.  10-15  mile 6-7% grades running over 6-8000 feet are not at all rare there.  Nothing eats away at engine efficiency in engines not equipped with a turbocharger like altitude.

The Towing Calculator on the Dodge site isn't anywhere as good as the full towing guide because it basically uses brochure weights and doesn't explain how they arrive at the result and what can alter it.  Analysis of several different configurations indicates that it just subtracts a Curb Weight from GCWR and then further subtracts 150 lbs, probably for estimated driver weight.  It does, however, tailor the values pretty well for individual models and addressses things like axle ratio and cab style. Better than a one size fits all number.

DooDoo, re: generators....I've heard great things about the Honda 2000i.  It's supposedly quiet and lightweight, plus it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Some people buy two of them and wire them together so they can either use the 2000i alone or, if they need more power, use the 4000 watts the two together would generate.

I'm sure there are others on the board that have their favorites, too.

DooDoo On The Road said:
Any tips on what type of generator to power lights, furnace blower and a TV? Friends told me 1,000 watts would do it but I would like your thoughts.

Dotr,

I have the Yamaha equivalent of the Honda 1000i.  Either of those would be perfect for what you want to do.  Basically the 1000w generator recharges your batteries which will run the lights, furnace blower and the TV (with an inverter if it's ac).  And it weighs about 30 pounds so it's easy to deal with.

If you're going to do a lot of dry camping, you may want to invest in a three stage charger and bigger batteries.  We don't and I did.

If your Sunline came with a Progressive Dynamics power converter you want to add a Charge Wizard - this gives you a three stage charger for $25!  Two big benfits:  It won't cook your batteries when you're plugged in for a long time and when you're dry camping it lets the generator charge the battery up to about 80% in a couple of hours.  Then you only need a day's worth of battery.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/chargewizard_home.html

As others have said, I would reccomend a 2000I, larger batteries (or add a new one in parallel), and the 3-stage charger. Go with the larger generator right off the bat because it won't be long before you'll want to add a microwave, and you won't want to have to shut down lights, tv, etc., while using it. It's not that much larger and costlier than the 1000I.

Back
Top Bottom