New threat to the RV industry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well all I can say to that thinking is B.S! It’s pretty darn sad when everyone advises don’t buy new, buy a couple yrs old after the original buyer has worked out the bugs. Especially when the buyer has to leave the unit a month or two for every little problem they have. Especially when unless it’s the selling dealer your asked “who do we have to go thru, you tell them Keystone and they immediately tell you “we’re booked 4 months out”! You ride by their shop half the service bays are empty! I purchased a2021 CAMEO 5th. Wheel new in Myrtle Beach SC…quite frankly it’s junk from day 1. The dealer and Keystone want nothing to do with it. Refrigerator fell out of the kitchen slide on way home and Keystone has no solution! Dealer/Keystone would give no help whatsoever with the electric water heater wouldn’t work and no local dealer wanted anything to do with it. I had to pay mobile repair man myself to remove wall in storage, crawl over heater duct work to access heater…..it was never plugged in! I paid. Had something start poking up thru vinyl flooring in kitchen, they laughed! I cut vinyl flooring, peeled it back and a bolt that holds floor to the aluminum frame was turning back out poking thlhru vinyl floor! Was never tightened!! I tightened the damn thing and glued the vinyl floor back down, doesn’t show too bad! 1st and only trip front a/c quit. Thank god it wasn’t too hot. Found a thermostat wire in unit disconnected, the connector was never crimped! Getting ready to come home the 3 slides would not come back in after I had hooked up, leveling legs retracted. Legs would not extend back out so that I could unhook! Called dealer 500 miles away for advice they said bring it in we’ll look at it!!! Offered no advice whatsoever. After 2 hrs trying to find local guy one showed up. A 50 amp breaker was blown, cheap no reset breaker that ran hydraulic system! He did not have one but made a 30 amp fuseable link to get me out of there. Got home I bought 4 breakers thru Amazon that reset themselves, they were $2 each more than the non reset ones that Crossroads put on it!! Total 4 for under $20! Several other small problems. Now maybe I got what I paid for, I pd what the asking price was managed to talk them down $400 on the 5th wheel hitch, that’s it. Remember this is all on a brand new 2021 unit from the dealer. This is not the most expensive unit but FAR from the cheapest! Oh, bragged on how it’s a four season unit, inclosed heated underbelly. Rained the entire 8 hr trip home from dealer. Couple wks later I move the thing and water is running out from under it! Why? I had to drill small holes thru underbelly to drain the water out that blew in thru SEVERAL gaps where the didn’t seal it. Four season camping???? Maybe Florida…. 30 degrees and the plumbing will freeze guaranteed. So don’t stand up for the manufacturers to me, thank you!

Especially when the buyer has to leave the unit a month or two for every little problem they have. Especially when unless it’s the selling dealer your asked “who do we have to go thru, you tell them Keystone and they immediately tell you “we’re booked 4 months out”
As long as the majority of buyers make choices based mostly on price and glitter and are unwilling to pay for quality or quality control, there is really no reason for any manufacturer to change.

As long as the majority of buyers make choices based mostly on price and glitter and are unwilling to pay for quality or quality control, there is really no reason for any manufacturer to change.
MANY, MANY buyers are no longer buying new for the very reason I mentioned...I never will again. The back log in RV's isn't caused by demand, it's caused by supply shortage due to labor shortage. Just like gasoline prices jump over 40% in 8 months is not due to increased demand, it's due to 3 million barrels a day drop in American production. Just like everything else that jumping in price at a rate never before seen, not due to demand but supply caused by people paid more to sit home than they ever made working in their life! Food,,,40-50% increase in demand??? I seriously doubt people are eating 40-50% more than 8 months ago.

Just like everything else that jumping in price at a rate never before seen, not due to demand but supply caused by people paid more to sit home than they ever made working in their life! Food,,,40-50% increase in demand??? I seriously doubt people are eating 40-50% more than 8 months ago.
The program that paid folks the extra $300 in unemployment ended sometime ago. Demand was low during the worst part of the pandemic so supply was low. Now businesses are open, kids back in school and demand has gone up. Supply is behind. pre pandemic it cost about $1600 to ship a container from China to the US. It now cost about $16,000. Folks are also reluctant to return to low paying jobs without benefits. And some households that pre pandemic had two working adults have decided they can get by with one. Women in particular, in some instances, have decided to stay home. On Sunday I drove from Delaware to SW Virginia. I-81 was a virtual Packed parking lot on both S and N lanes. There seemed to be more trucks on the road than passenger cars. Employers are going to have to bite the bullet and start paying better wages and benefits instead of stuffing management and CEO’s pockets with money.

The program that paid folks the extra $300 in unemployment ended sometime ago. Demand was low during the worst part of the pandemic so supply was low. Now businesses are open, kids back in school and demand has gone up. Supply is behind. pre pandemic it cost about $1600 to ship a container from China to the US. It now cost about $16,000. Folks are also reluctant to return to low paying jobs without benefits. And some households that pre pandemic had two working adults have decided they can get by with one. Women in particular, in some instances, have decided to stay home. On Sunday I drove from Delaware to SW Virginia. I-81 was a virtual Packed parking lot on both S and N lanes. There seemed to be more trucks on the road than passenger cars. Employers are going to have to bite the bullet and start paying better wages and benefits instead of stuffing management and CEO’s pockets with money.
Today people want to start at the TOP of the scale instead of working their way up. Today they have the attitude "let me see what my pay is and I'll decide how hard I'll work. In my day we had the attitude "let me show you how hard i work, and hopefully I'll work up the ladder." I worked full time 53 yrs, raised a family with 3 kids. Never drew noe penny of unemployment....NONE! MANY mornings woke up tired, sore didn't want to go to work....but did!
Wife is upper mid management in a very large Dept store. When Obummer said you over so many full time employees you MUST provide health care they stopped hiring full time employees. Today you prove yourself and work up to full time, which many do. Their starting pay is way over minimum wage. As she interviews them many say "oh I can't live on 35 hrs a week, but some take the job. HALF of all new employees call in sick the first week....before they even have sick pay, but they "Can't live on 35 hrs"!
My opinion if you're able bodied and not working....I wouldn't give you 15 cents! If you are working, spending wisely and still having problems making ends meet, I'll help all I can/
I suppose the 30-40% increase in gasoline prices are due to increased demand too?? When American oil production had DECREASED 3,000,000 barrels a day!! Thanks to Joe Brandon!!

Today people want to start at the TOP of the scale instead of working their way up. Today they have the attitude "let me see what my pay is and I'll decide how hard I'll work. In my day we had the attitude "let me show you how hard i work, and hopefully I'll work up the ladder." I worked full time 53 yrs, raised a family with 3 kids. Never drew noe penny of unemployment....NONE! MANY mornings woke up tired, sore didn't want to go to work....but did!
Wife is upper mid management in a very large Dept store. When Obummer said you over so many full time employees you MUST provide health care they stopped hiring full time employees. Today you prove yourself and work up to full time, which many do. Their starting pay is way over minimum wage. As she interviews them many say "oh I can't live on 35 hrs a week, but some take the job. HALF of all new employees call in sick the first week....before they even have sick pay, but they "Can't live on 35 hrs"!
My opinion if you're able bodied and not working....I wouldn't give you 15 cents! If you are working, spending wisely and still having problems making ends meet, I'll help all I can/
I suppose the 30-40% increase in gasoline prices are due to increased demand too?? When American oil production had DECREASED 3,000,000 barrels a day!! Thanks to Joe Brandon!!
There’s no denying where your politics lay. And thanks to you this thread will probably get shut down. I would posit the majority of what you posTed is either false or mostly false. But I would also posit that no matter how many facts were thrown your way you wouldn’t believe them. Hope you have a great day and aren’t too sore to enjoy it. :cool:

Last edited:
Yup!! I'm definitely a conservative. I believe in working for a living, every day, not looking for a hand out. And obviously YOU'RE the one refusing facts. Everything I stated were true life experiences..facts! And if this thread gets shut down....so be it!! Or if I get booted....so be it! I'm not sore in any way, I proudly hold my head up high!! Gotta run now, go fill the gas tank before Joe Brandon jumps the price another .10. Have a good day my friend!!

I'm learning, please be patient. Where I came from it was believed you but new because of quality control as opposed to buying other peoples problems, guess thats no the case any more, at least with RV's. Although my dealer and some others seem to dis-agree.

Yup!! I'm definitely a conservative. I believe in working for a living, every day, not looking for a hand out. And obviously YOU'RE the one refusing facts. Everything I stated were true life experiences..facts! And if this thread gets shut down....so be it!! Or if I get booted....so be it! I'm not sore in any way, I proudly hold my head up high!! Gotta run now, go fill the gas tank before Joe Brandon jumps the price another .10. Have a good day my friend!!
LOL You need to put on some more clothes as your ignorance is showing. :) Tell me what control a President has over the price of gasoline, as compared to supply and demand?

Although my dealer and some others seem to dis-agree.
To a large extent I would agree with your dealer. But the thing you need to do when you shop new is to realize that sales people are rewarded most for selling things that bring the most profit, so you have to do your own research and not accept anything as valid unless you verify it and if part of an agreement it must be in writing and signed by an officer of the selling dealership. Shopping for an RV isn't all that different from car shopping. If you go out and buy a Ford Focus you will be very unhappy if you thought that you would be traveling in a Lincoln. If you buy the lowest price model trailer you should not expect to have the same RV that someone spending $150k or more is getting. When you visit the Fleetwood dealer and buy a Bounder it will not match the American Eagle sitting nearby.

While higher price doesn't always mean better quality, you can be sure that lowest price will mean low quality. I have owned 6 RVs over the years and 3 were bought new and 3 were bought used. I have had good service and little problem with any of them. All 3 new RVs did have some warranty work, but none were back more than 2 times. The most recently purchased new RV had only 1 warranty repair and it was late in the 2 year warranty.

LOL You need to put on some more clothes as your ignorance is showing. :) Tell me what control a President has over the price of gasoline, as compared to supply and demand?
I don't know, I guess to start stopping the Keystone Pipeline the day he was inaugurated. Shutting don't fracking & drilling in all public lands within a month 0r less which cut oil production here in this country by 3,000,000 barrels a DAY is a good start! Anyone with a 70 I.Q. could figure that out. But seeing you want to throw insults about intelligence I'll suggest that lets you out. Now I'm done replying to you so go right on, get the last word.
While you and yours are looking for your next hand out I'll go get a part time job if I need a little pocket change. Sorry, it's how I was brought up!!

I don't know, I guess to start stopping the Keystone Pipeline the day he was inaugurated. Shutting don't fracking & drilling in all public lands within a month 0r less which cut oil production here in this country by 3,000,000 barrels a DAY is a good start! Anyone with a 70 I.Q. could figure that out. But seeing you want to throw insults about intelligence I'll suggest that lets you out. Now I'm done replying to you so go right on, get the last word.
While you and yours are looking for your next hand out I'll go get a part time job if I need a little pocket change. Sorry, it's how I was brought up!!
To a large extent I would agree with your dealer. But the thing you need to do when you shop new is to realize that sales people are rewarded most for selling things that bring the most profit, so you have to do your own research and not accept anything as valid unless you verify it and if part of an agreement it must be in writing and signed by an officer of the selling dealership. Shopping for an RV isn't all that different from car shopping. If you go out and buy a Ford Focus you will be very unhappy if you thought that you would be traveling in a Lincoln. If you buy the lowest price model trailer you should not expect to have the same RV that someone spending $150k or more is getting. When you visit the Fleetwood dealer and buy a Bounder it will not match the American Eagle sitting nearby.

While higher price doesn't always mean better quality, you can be sure that lowest price will mean low quality. I have owned 6 RVs over the years and 3 were bought new and 3 were bought used. I have had good service and little problem with any of them. All 3 new RVs did have some warranty work, but none were back more than 2 times. The most recently purchased new RV had only 1 warranty repair and it was late in the 2 year warranty.
O'k so you say my Crossroads CAMEA 3201RL is a known piece of cheap **** right? And because I bought it new i should not expect ANY dealer, or manufacturer help with defects? Local RV repair man the runs a mobile repair business and has for 20 yrs told me in the last 3-4 yrs the ALL are a piece of crap and it take generally a yr - yr and a half to get the bugs out.
No offense, I believe you're a good guy but you sound more and more like all 3-4 dealers I have dealt with.
Oh, as a delayed thought I know several people with a "Ford focus" and they get treated the same as you do if you buy a Lincoln from the same dealer.

LOL The Keystone pipeline never carried even on gallon of oil. Stopping it had no effect on the oil supply. No fracking or drilling was shut down by the government. You need to find accurate sources of information not from a network that was started by AT&T.
Why would you think I or anyone I know is looking for a handout? Facts is facts. Just because a lot people believe the same thing, doesnt make it any more true, than if no one believed it!
I admire you dedication to hard work, but that doesnt automatically make you more knowledgeable than everyone else. :)

LOL The Keystone pipeline never carried even on gallon of oil. Stopping it had no effect on the oil supply. No fracking or drilling was shut down by the government. You need to find accurate sources of information not from a network that was started by AT&T.
Why would you think I or anyone I know is looking for a handout? Facts is facts. Just because a lot people believe the same thing, doesnt make it any more true, than if no one believed it!
I admire you dedication to hard work, but that doesnt automatically make you more knowledgeable than everyone else. :)
I think we have discussed this before. The shutdown took away millions of dollars in direct income for workers and the communities along the way to the gulf. It also took aways the potential of more millions of revenue coming back into this country along with the port jobs on the gulf when we were going to provide energy sources to foreign countries. I witnessed the fuel crunch back decades ago and remember gas lines. Not fun when you are trying to get to work five days a week. Energy independence keeps this country"economy running smoothly.

But along with shutdown, the gas leases were revoked in numerous areas of the country. We are now witnessing the promise of huge increases in winter heating prices. Thats a fact thats come directly from the powers to be. I could go on, but like oldgater says we also know what side of the fence you are on, which unlike what we witness here with the left leaning does not make one necessarily bad. But what I am really not a fan of is the president begging our enemies for more oil. Do you agree with that position?

Last edited:
I think we have discussed this before. The shutdown took away millions of dollars in direct income for workers and the communities along the way to the gulf. It also took aways the potential of more millions of revenue coming back into this country along with the port jobs on the gulf when we were going to provide energy sources to foreign countries. I witnessed the fuel crunch back decades ago and remember gas lines. Not fun when you are trying to get to work five days a week. Energy independence keeps this country"economy running smoothly.

But along with shutdown, the gas leases were revoked in numerous areas of the country. We are now witnessing the promise of huge increases in winter heating prices. Thats a fact thats come directly from the powers to be. I could go on, but like oldgater says we also know what side of the fence you are on, which unlike what we witness here with the left leaning does not make one necessarily bad. But what I am really not a fan of is the president begging our enemies for more oil. Do you agree with that position?
Oil is a world wide commodity. Some OPEC nations cut back production las year in an attempt to hurt the Russians, but it doing so, affected prices world wide, including the USA, and I dont see asking them end to end their production cut back as begging. Also, to my knowledge the USA is still energy independent, that is, we produce more energy that we consume.

Is it your contention that active gas leases were shut down? I dont recall seeing that anywhere. I follow a FB page that is about oil field "gate guards" and it shows how jobs, and pay were cut back drastically during last years pandemic induced recession, but in the past few months there has been a dramatic increase in both the number of jobs and pay for these "gate guards" If seems that it takes a lot longer to increase oil production in the USA, than it did to slow production dramatically. Also, some oil companies took quite a monetary bath when the recession hit, and are a little leery of spending the money to ramp up production as quickly as demand has increased.

One measure of energy production is oil and gas drilling rig count which has risen from a low of 250 rigs last August to 483 rigs in July this year, and I expect still increasing, and rig count is up 109 rigs from January to July this year. Looks like we are going in the right direction, but not fast enough for any of us.

Back
Top Bottom