New Tires feel out of balance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would lean more to an out of round tire at that speed
I had a similar problem with a couple of sets of tires I purchased from Less Schwab. Last set was finally taken to someone who could true all the rubber on my truck. He also informed me that the life span would be grater due to the fact that is not bouncing or oscillating if you’re understanding what he was referring to.
Haven't seen anyone cut a tire true in many many years. He can find out if thats the problem with a dial indicator or just raise it off the ground and spin it, watch the clearance at the bottom or set something close to it and watch. Won't give him .000 but if it's really out it should be visible.

Having 1.75 ounces of weight on each side of the wheel is not all that much for a tire that size. Being that they are in alignment with each other it might not hurt to have them spin that tire on the wheel 180 degrees especially if it shows any movement on the tire.

I am glad you cleared up the fact that it was happening in about a range of 12-13 mph and not 1 like it sounded on the OP. Do you feel it in the steering wheel, in the seat, or more by your feet? That might help to narrow down which tire it is.

I would lean more to an out of round tire at that speed
I had a similar problem with a couple of sets of tires I purchased from Less Schwab. Last set was finally taken to someone who could true all the rubber on my truck. He also informed me that the life span would be grater due to the fact that is not bouncing or oscillating if you’re understanding what he was referring to.
How did they true the tire? Did they grind rubber off of it? I don't buy at all that you will get more life out of the tire but I guess he is entitled to his opinion.

How did they true the tire? Did they grind rubber off of it? I don't buy at all that you will get more life out of the tire but I guess he is entitled to his opinion.
Rubber was shaved off while it was mounted on the vehicle. Only a small amount. And spun balanced while on the rig.
Each time a tire looses contact with the road and re connects it scrubs off a little rubber possibly in a different spot each time thus shortening the life of the tire as apposed to a perfectly round tire that stays in full contact to the road

Rubber was shaved off while it was mounted on the vehicle. Only a small amount. And spun balanced while on the rig.
Each time a tire looses contact with the road and re connects it scrubs off a little rubber possibly in a different spot each time thus shortening the life of the tire as apposed to a perfectly round tire that stays in full contact to the road
I think I would have made LS replace tires with round ones before that. An out of round tire does not lose contact with the road enough to wear it out quicker. Shaving rubber off sure would though.

Sure sounds like that one tire is out of round - it happens even in the very best brands. Or it could be the wheel itself, slightly bent somehow. They probably balanced it adequately for 0-55 but the problem shows up as speed increases.

Sure sounds like that one tire is out of round - it happens even in the very best brands. Or it could be the wheel itself, slightly bent somehow. They probably balanced it adequately for 0-55 but the problem shows up as speed increases.
Reading all this my next question is does he have a bent wheel?
BTW yes shaving saves: Tire truing

I had bad tires once. I ended up moving each tire to the driver's side and taking it for a spin. We ended up with 2 bad tires.

If the steering wheel shakes I always suspect the front wheels or suspension first. Excessive vibration can be hard to find. Drive shafts, worn center bearings, and bad u-joints can also cause problems that feel like bad tire balancing. Drive shafts on long wheelbase chassis can be bent when you hit high center on steep driveways or from something thrown up on the road. Rare, but driveshaft balancing can be wrong. Center bearings on multiple driveshafts are especially hard to diagnose when the slots in the mount are shifted to one side or another getting the driveshaft out of alignment.

A long time back I got 6 new G670 tires on our class A. I then took the rig to a truck shop to have them spin ballanced and in the process they discovered that one tire was not round so could not be balanced. I contacted Goodyear and they arranged for a replacement tire and that one was fine.

Back
Top Bottom