New Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

memtiger

Tires on my RV are sitting at the 5 year mark so I am going to replace them. I called an got a couple quotes one was a Goodyear Endurance. Does anybody have an experience with them. I have a class A if that makes a difference.

For class As and depending on OE tire size there are literally dozens of good options besided goodlucks. Toyo, is one really popular brand.

I would love to see some kind of wear and noise figures for various tires. I'm guessing RV's account for a small percentage of truck size tires but you'd think "someone" would have that kind of data. Getting on a forum and asking what's the "best" tire just nets a bunch of anecdotal data.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Not that many options if I do a local install. Goodyear, Firestone and Mastercraft. The Firestones are $90 more a tire and I haven't heard of Mastercraft before today. I know Goodyear has had issues with the G159 but haven't heard anyone talk about issues with other tires.

Aren't the Endurance model tires for trailers only, i.e. ST type tires? Those cannot be used on your Flair motorhome! And shame on any shop that quoted a price for that usage!!

What size tires do you need? What's on there now?

Another question: Are the tires worn? 5 years isn't terribly old - I'd go to 7 years if they are in decent condition.

Aren't the Endurance model tires for trailers only, i.e. ST type tires? Those cannot be used on your Flair motorhome! And shame on any shop that quoted a price for that usage!!

Another question: Are the tires worn? 5 years isn't terribly old - I'd go to 7 years if they are in decent condition.
And if you took care of them

This is why I posed the question. Currently I have 225/70 r19.5 milestars. Lot's of money to spend to get a wrong tire.

The Goodyear is a G rated tire Endurance RSA UTL tire. The Firestone is the Firestone 561 both are found under the commercial section of Goodyear and Firestone's website. So they seem like both should be fine. The tread on the current tires are good I don't know how well the tire has been taken care since I didn't put these on. I have had issues with 1 tire that seems to have a small leak and nobody seems to be able to find anything. I have had valve stems replaced. The tire will deflate about 10 psi over 4 to 5 weeks. The others seem solid with no change.
Just heading on 2 long road trips this year and didn't want to keep messing with the tire or have this as a warning sign that I just ignored.

You are right - the Endurance RSA is indeed a truck tire, not a trailer (ST) tire. My mistake (I learned something today!).

If you aren't confident of those tires, it's time to replace. Either tire brand would be a decent choice.

There are several other good brand choices in that size, e.g. Sailun, Toyo, Kelly, Hankook, and Sumitomo. Any of them should serve you well.

5 years is the "industry standard" for tires, but if the tires aren't worn down and no dry rot or imperfections/bubbles I'd say you could run them a couple more years. In all honesty though, it comes down to your personal opinion and the confidence you have in the current tires. Depending on the condition, 5 year old tires would definitely be questionable, especially in the heat. The 5 year age is usually when tires start to break down, separate and/or the rubber starts to harden and dry out.

Keep in mind, modern tires are made with better rubber compounds and some are even made with nylon and other quality durable materials that last longer than traditional rubber.

Goodyear is a good tire, Michellin XRV are pretty popular too. I'd say just don't go with a cheap tire. If it was a car or light truck, sure, but for an RV spend the extra money and get a quality tire (Just saying!). Brands like Goodyear, Michellin, Bridgestone and Toyo are what I usually recommend for ANY vehicle owner who wants a quality tire.

I recently replaced the 8 year old Hercules tires (225/70-19.5) on my coach (would have changed at 7 years, but covid happened and we only put 100 miles on the coach last year) with Sumitomo ST719 LRF speed rated N tires (ST719 tires are offered in 4 varites in this size LR-F LR-G and Speed rated L and N) Most 19.5 tires are speed rated L (75 mph max), vs N which is 87 mph max. With about 2,000 miles on the Sumitomo tires now (nearly half of that this week) I am very happy with the selection, they ride and handle much better than the Hercules (H802?) tires. The only bad point is I have found myself speeding several times because they ride so much better.

Ike

p.s. these Sumitomo tires are made in Japan, which I trust a lot more than tires made in China

p.p.s. we have an 17,000 GVWR chassis so LR-F works well for us with inflation pressure of 75-80 psi, on a heavier chassis I would go with the LR-G version.

Went with cooper discoverer HT3. American manufactured. 50,000 mile warranty. Has high rating at discount tire. Had Michelins, barely got 5 years before they started cracking. Working good, so far.

I paid just under $2,000 out the door with tax, installation and balance beads from a local commercial tire dealer for my 6 Sumitomo ST719 tires 6 months ago.

Not that many options if I do a local install. Goodyear, Firestone and Mastercraft. The Firestones are $90 more a tire and I haven't heard of Mastercraft before today. I know Goodyear has had issues with the G159 but haven't heard anyone talk about issues with other tires.
I sell all those brands. The Mastercraft brand is manufactured by Cooper. That is what’s on our own passenger vehicles and my F250. They are a quality tire and I think a very good value.
(even got them on the old 69)
1632451413972.jpeg

I sell all those brands. The Mastercraft brand is manufactured by Cooper. That is what’s on our own passenger vehicles and my F250. They are a quality tire and I think a very good value.
(even got them on the old 69)
View attachment 149085
Thanks for the info I didn't know that. Looking on the site I couldn't find a tire that would be rated for my RV and I haven't had time to call them back to find out what tire he was quoting me.

5 years is the "industry standard" for tires,
What industry would that be? The tire makers mostly say 10 years of useful life, but some tire dealers (Discount Tire, for example) are now saying 6 or 7. GM, Ford, Chrysler & multiple European car makers are saying 6 years, but that's for new tires stored in warehouses. The RV industry, whether RVIA, the manufacturers or dealers seem to be silent on this subject.

All the experts, whether tire maker, tire dealer, or various industry gurus, say that the useful life is unpredictable once the tire is mounted on any vehicle. In addition to tread wear, factors such as climate, inflation, chemicals in the air, and the surface it sits on all play significant roles in tire life.

Anecdotal evidence here and at other RVer websites suggests that the hefty 19.5 and 22.5" motorhome tires will probably safely last at least 7 years. The smaller 16" motorhome tires are probably a couple years less, perhaps because they are stressed more.. Trailer tires don't seem to last as long and size is a factor there too, but 3-5 years seems common.

Tire Rack has published what I feel is a well-balanced discussion on tire life. See https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!386427243778!b!!g!!

Last edited:
What industry would that be?
The automotive repair industry standard. I am speaking from personal professional experience, and hold certifications in this area, and others. Let me better explain. Not saying your information is incorrect, specific to the manufacturer or tire shop, but every independent tire seminar and training course I've taken (including Firestone, Meyers Tire Supply and ASE, as well as Nissan a manufacturer I worked with for over 5 years) says that if a USED tire is 5+ years old (by the date code on the tire), it is not considered to be reliable or safe anymore because the rubber compounds start to break down and can lead to the rubber separating from the steel belt and just all around deteriorating. A used tire is a tire that has been mounted on the wheel and put on the vehicle and exposed to the elements, and driven at least one full rotation of the tire. If its a new tire that sat on the shelf for 5 years in-doors, it doesn't apply.

Vehicle manufacturers and tire manufacturers have their own standards specific to them, but as far as I've ever known, in the general automotive repair field, if a vehicle rolls into the shop with tires that show 5+ years old by the date code on the side wall, they are to be recommended for replacement because of the above mentioned criteria.

Thanks for that info - I have not seen it elsewhere. It's not much different than the 6 years that the automakers & Discount Tire are saying - a tire with a 5+ year date code is approaching 6 years of age. And from the perspective of a repair shop owner, a 5 yo tire is an opportunity to sell a profitable item & service. So that recommendation isn't surprising either.

I probably would not spend money to repair a 5 yo tire, but I would not discard it if it was performing ok on the vehicle. The heavy duty 22.5" tires on most Class A coaches can easily run 7 years as long as they aren't abused and I have personally stretched some to 8 years if the condition seemed favorable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom