New to board.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadian Eh

In terms of miles and ownership we are relative newbies. Our first trip was a rental in South America. We travelled through Argentina and Chile. Not a lot of mile but some pretty bumpy roads. We then rented again in New Zealand, we were one of the last out the door as Covid hit. We then came home and bought a second hand rental that I have been spending a lot of time upgrading the batteries and solar. Last year we travelled out to Vancouver Island and back. Found some incredible spots on the Island if you don't mind pushing through some alder bush.
Anyways great to have found this site.
DC

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. Feel free to jump in on any discussion. Please pass on any stories you may have about other countries how they rv or anything else you think we would enjoy hearing.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good to have you join us.

You've had some interesting experiences- feel free to post some of them.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, so please ask anything you need to.

Safe and happy travels.

I have to say that Chile was the most amazing experience and a boondockers heaven. We never stayed a night in a campground, just found pull offs beside rivers, lakes and sometimes a truck stop.
The Carretera Austral or Southern Highway would probably be like driving US Hwy 1 70 years ago. Most of it is gravel. Our GPS was useless, many times we would drive for a couple of hours only to come to a road closed sign and have to turn back to find another route. Detours would have signage at the start and then nothing at the next intersection. Towns have one way streets not marked and traffic lights that don't work. People were amazing. I have no language skills but had no problem communicating. We got to explore small towns along the way and never had one negative experience. We stayed out of the larger cities. A couple of highlights were the Marble Caves and the "road you should never take" that ran from Chile to Argentina. On that road we never saw another person or vehicle for 18 hours. Spent the night camped on a lake and the next morning drove to the border which was a farm gate with a padlock.
This is a photo I took from our tour of the Marble caves.

Attachments

• IMG_5964e.jpg
    IMG_5964e.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 8
I have no language skills but had no problem communicating.
Sounds like the experience I had in a very small town in Mexico many years back. I had a little bit of high school Spanish (mostly forgotten) but the cab driver and I communicated surprisingly well, with gestures and more. Wonderful experience. Glad it was the same for you there.

This is a photo I took from our tour of the Marble caves.
Gorgeous shot. In the lower center it looks almost like a cow. Thanks for sharing this pic.

Back
Top Bottom