New to Boondocking. When traveling where do you keep your generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a hitch mounted to the front of my TV. A hitch mounted carrier works well for me. My Onan 4500i sits there with a cover and can run without being removed from the carrier.. A chain and lock keep it from "walking". The hitch is low enough for me to lift the 100 lb generator onto it, but I have used ramps to get it on and off as well.. I get a 9 -10 hour run with 13,500 btu AC operational with its 3 gallon tank..
The additional weight on the front of my TV seems to make it more stable going down the road as well.

Safe travels and all the best...

front hitch cargo carrier .jpg

I have a hitch mounted to the front of my TV. A hitch mounted carrier works well for me. My Onan 4500i sits there with a cover and can run without being removed from the carrier.. A chain and lock keep it from "walking". The hitch is low enough for me to lift the 100 lb generator onto it, but I have used ramps to get it on and off as well.. I get a 9 -10 hour run with 13,500 btu AC operational with its 3 gallon tank..
The additional weight on the front of my TV seems to make it more stable going down the road as well.

Safe travels and all the best...

View attachment 164141
Those Onan inverter generators are nice looking units. I was checking them out while I was waiting for the tech to diagnose the onboard generator in my motor home. How does the noise level compare with the Hondas?

I built a generator sound deading box on top of my fifth wheel pin box. The generator slides in one end. I start it while in the box. Once running, I lock the entrance door and the exhaust and cord goes out the other. I also welded a 2" receiver under the generator so if I get some other crazy idea to carry something else on the nose, it will be plug and play. DennisIMG_5133.JPGIMG_5132.JPGIMG_5132.JPGIMG_5131.JPGIMG_5133.JPGIMG_5133.JPG

In the bed of the truck. Strapped down.
We are never more than a few feet from the truck while traveling, so I generally do not lock them down. In camp I secure them with cable locks under the rig when not in use. If a sketchy area, I throw a camo tarp over them (6x6 camo cloth from walmart). Covered in camo and under the rig they are almost invisible to a casual passerby.

Those Onan inverter generators are nice looking units. I was checking them out while I was waiting for the tech to diagnose the onboard generator in my motor home. How does the noise level compare with the Hondas?
Cant say about comparing it with the Honda's but It has worked reliably and the sound level is more than acceptable to us... Its a lot less expensive than the Honda as well. Love the remote start !!:giggle:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom