New to forum - not to Rv?ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DodgeTitan

Hello Community
I?m new to this forum but not new to RV?ing. Live in Abbotsford B.C.
Just acquired a 1979 Dodge Titan 366, 34? motorhome.
Needs a fair bit of work but I got it very cheap. The winter months will kerp me busy
with working on it. It?s parked inside a huge warehouse on my property.

Have a question already and hoping to find answers from all you fine people.
Need to hook up the house battery as well as the engine battery.
Battery leads for both are under the stairsteps.

Leads have me confused. So many red and black one?s. Haven?t a clue how they should be wired up in
Sequence. Attached is a pictures. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Titan

Attachments

• 3D64F8BC-1097-451F-B42B-941B72A55529.png
    3D64F8BC-1097-451F-B42B-941B72A55529.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 12
Sorry, can't tell anything from that tiny picture. You should have at least two batteries. One for the engine, one (or more) for the house. Two 12v deep cycle batteries (or four 6v golf cart batteries) is the norm for more modern RV's...I've slept a bit since yours was new...not sure what was normal back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. :p
HOWEVER, maybe this will help:

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-batteries-series-parallel.html

Need a much larger and more detailed picture, but those wires hardly look large enough for battery cables. Especially for the chassis (engine) battery.  There would typically be just the usual two cables to the chassis battery (Plus "hot" and negative "ground"). The house battery is also grounded to the chassis by its negative terminal, but it often has two or more wires to the positive.

Back in that time, there may have been separate wires to the house battery for power draw and charging, so that can create some extra wires on both terminals.  Can you identify the converter/charger model used?  That might help us figure out what wires are in use.

Thanks BoomerB for your reply and warm welcome.
The link for wiring diagram makes might explain it.

Mine houses two standard deepcycle units. One for the house, the other one for the engine.
What has me confused is that I have both, the negative and positive points, then I have a whole lot of black wires, and almost the same amount of red one?s. Interestinglingly enough, red and black are spliced together and lead to a point. Not sure what that is all about.

Sorry for the small picture. Had a hard time uploading a iphone picture, until I shrunk it down a fair bit.
For those who are viewing with a smartphone, pinch and zoom the picture to large. It will show fairly okay.
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom