New to RV and Already Having heartaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie67

Good Day to All;

We are your typical new owners of a Mirada. When we brought our home last year, we started off with minor problems which I handle on my own. There was one major problem that halted our plan for our first road adventure. The slide on the bunk side was not functioning properly. one edge would move and the other edge would not. We took it into the shop and they kept it for two weeks, when it was ready they said it just needed to be greased. I didn't test it as the wife suggested, for the reason the slide was just repaired. Fast forward, I was on youtube learning how to pre-check everything for the upcoming adventures. I tried to open the slides and again the bunk side slide will not open. one edge is now stuck open and the other is closed. has anyone had problems with their slide, this is the second time the RV will be in the shop for the same major issue.

Yes, I had the same problem on my 2017 WGO Aspect 30J. On my Aspect 30J it was the Yellow controller wire that had come loose on one of the motors. On each side of my slide Upper are motors that run in concert. When the yellow controller wire came loose off the one motor it would not move.

Reach in and move the gaskets on the slide and you might be able to see it. Repair it might be a whole different story as things are very tight in the channeling.

JD

I would suggest hiring a mobile mechanic who comes to your place and fixes it while you watch.

If this is a new RV, contact the manufacturer to get approval to call in a repair guy. Explain that the dealer tried and did not fix it and you really don’t want to bring it back to them. That way it may be covered under the warranty.

So now you can check off two of the harsh realities of RV ownership. One is RV's are poorly made and unreliable, and two there is limited competent professional services for them. If you haven't checked the RV's cost a lot of money at every turn box, you will soon. From this point on it gets easier.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome to the sad state of affairs at RV dealer shops. They all too often take a long time to do anything and still fail to fix it right the first time. Or sometimes even the second. If it's out of warranty, call in a mobile RV tech; they have a much better track record and you can verify the repair before they leave.

The light at the end of the tunnel...once you get the kinks worked out, hopefully there's a lot of enjoyment. Kind of like a washing machine. So many of them have problems right out of the box, but then they work fine for a long time.

Hang in there. Press the shop on the defect and making sure it's 100% right before they give the rig back to you.

So now you can check off two of the harsh realities of RV ownership. One is RV's are poorly made and unreliable, and two there is limited competent professional services for them. If you haven't checked the RV's cost a lot of money at every turn box, you will soon. From this point on it gets easier.

Haha, that reminds me of a slogan shared by truck drivers in the transportation industry:

"BIG TRUCKS, BIG BUCKS..."

Not only in parts & repairs, but also in dealing with the D.O.T., where fines could be outrageously expensive. Even simple citations were like double the money, since the recipients of those "driving awards" were in commercial vehicles. I don't miss any of that ridiculous scene, lol. I recall getting a ticket for going "five over" (60 m.p.h.) in Kalifornia, and when I asked the cop why he didn't stop the four-wheelers going 80 or 90, he got all belligerent, lol. Big trucks made for better revenue collection, of course.

I once ran up on a D.O.T. scale in Arizona after driving out from under a wicked storm that killed at least 10 people in Kalifornia (most of the deaths were due to fatality wrecks), and it turned out that I was 4600 lbs. over gross. The scale I normally used in Thousand Palms was shut down for calibration, and the weather was so bad that I never bothered trying to scale the load anywhere else, I didn't know I was over gross & I figured the D.O.T. bears would let me slide the wagon if necessary, given the circumstances.

But no dice, they couldn't have cared less, it was all about the money... and with a fine of $1 per pound over gross, that meant $4600. I was furious, since people had died in that storm, but nobody cared, it was all about the almighty dollar. I borrowed money and worked off the fine, but I wasn't a happy camper, lol. It was like buying a secondhand vehicle or cycle but having nothing to show for my money. Meh, just another day in the transportation industry... I don't miss dealing with the bull$h!t, lol, that much is certain.

Last edited:
I am going to ask a question.> The answer will determine IF I can help you.. If I can. you will get change back from a $5.00 bill.

What brand of slide out
Power Gear (They have a new name now) uses a Rack and Pinion system. A long toothed rail under the slide. a single motor that turns a square (for the most part) shaft under the slide and this turns gears that move the rails in and out.

If this type the most common issue is a sheared bolt. about 2 or 2.5 inches Grade 8 1/4 inch NOTEW you need washers because you need a bolt long enough that the SMOOTH shank of the bolt goes all the way through then one washer under the bolt head and as many as it takes on the thread end to make sure teh NYLOCK nut tightens down snugly.

Accu Slide.. These are cable cars.. I've had the nut come right off the end of the cable. Also 1/4 inch recommend a single washer and NYLOCK

HWH is often a Hydraulic system

Swintech has a "Wavy line" on the front (as you travel) and back of the slide

There is at least one more I'm do not even know who makes it,

I used to buy quarter inch bolts in Bulk.. Till I figured out how to stop breaking them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom