New to RV Form

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsanders

Hi
I am new to the RV form. I have a Class A motor home with some problems that I can't figure out. I'm hoping to get some input from someone who can help me. I started out on a trip last year and when I shut off motor it would not start again without being jumped. I had new batteries installed.  Since that time, when motor is running the battery icon light stays on.  I had the alternator checked and it is fine. Any ideas on what could be causing this.  It is a 1995  34' Country Star by Newmar.

Gizmo100

Welcome to the RV Forum dsanders

Not sure that I can help but this will bump it back to the top of the list.

Arch Hoagland

Welcome aboard!

Who checked the alternator and did they make any recommendations when you explained the problem?

What engine is it?

Have you put a voltmeter on the battery when the engine is running? 

Lou Schneider

Site Team
Welcome to The RV Forum!

Your motorhome has a solid state isolator or a relay between the alternator and the house and starting batteries.  It's purpose is to let the alternator charge both sets of batteries while the engine is running, then seperate them while the engine is off so using your lights, etc. inside the house won't drain the starting battery.

If your mechanic tested the alternator at it's output terminal, he may have missed a problem in the isolator that's blocking the charging current from reaching the starting battery.

Like Arch said, measuring the voltage at the starting battery and comparing it to the voltage at the alternator output while the engine is running will tell you if there's a problem between those two points.

Top Bottom