New to RV Forum Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feinblatt

We are new to the RV Forum and new to RVing.? I'm Hersh and my wife is Linda.? We are still working.? Hope to retire in the next 2 years.? June of 2005 we purchased a 40 ft Phaeton.? We were able to take 3 trips last year, going to the Smokies for a week was the "long" trip.? This year we hope to take 3 or 4 trips.

What is the best way to check the LP system for leaks?? What is the opinion on tire air pressure monitoring system?? Are they worth the investment or are they a nuisance?

Hersh and Linda  Welcome  I'm by no way an authority on propane, but I would suggest having a propane copany check it out or go to an RV dealer and have them do it.  To me, that stuff is lethal and I don't even think of entertaining the idea of checking it out myself. Good luck on you useage of the RV

Hello Hersh and Linda,

Welcome to the RV Forum.

Are you checking the LP system for leaks because you suspect a leak or because you want a safe and reliable test procedure?

Never use a flame to check for leaks but rather a soap and water solution on the joints.

Your LP detector should be the primary source for detecting possible leaks, and if a leak is suspected, the best thing to do is to get a qualified LP technician to come and inspect the system.

I am not familiar with tire pressure monitors so I will defer to other members who are familiar with them.

Feel free to join in any ongoing discussion or start as many as you wish...enjoy the Forum!

A tire pressure monitor will pay for itself several times over the first time you get a flat and don't know it. ?Not a nuisance at all, they just do there job and don't bother you until there is a problem.

The most reliable test for propane leaks IMHO is a leak-down test. It is very easily accomplished by professionals by attaching a gauge to one of your stove burner tubes. Checks the entire system including the joints it is impossible to reach for a soap test.

Takes about 15 minutes.

If you want a preventive (safety) test for the LPG system, the leak down (pressure) test is the way to go.  However, if you suspect a leak somewhere I suggest using a propane "sniffer" device, which is basically a portable LPG detector.  They used to be expensive but now are available for under $40 at places like www.rvupgradestore.com

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=211

The LPG system in an RV is quite reliable and not really a source of  concern. Just keep your LPG detector on at all times and use its built-in test feature periodically to make sure it is working.

I highly recommend a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS).  A soft tire will quickly become a major headache and often a major expense as well. And a TPMS gives you an simple and easy way to check tire pressures on both Rv and toad, something all too many Rvers neglect to do regularly. Many of us here use the Pressure Pro aftermarket sTPMS ystem but there are several good brands available.

feinblatt said:
What is the best way to check the LP system for leaks?? What is the opinion on tire air pressure monitoring system?? Are they worth the investment or are they a nuisance?
Welcome to the RV Forum. Glad you found us and thanks for joining.

Best way to check for suspected Propane leak is to let a trained professional do it.? If you have no to suspect  a leak then your Propane monitor that is most likely installed on your coach should alert you to any problems.?

As for tire monitors I would highly recommend them.? I cannot recommend a system that does not display the air pressure.? Smart Tire and Pressure pro both have the capability to disply the tire pressures.? The smart tire system requires the tires be broken down for installation and are more expensive.? We chose the Pressure Pro system which you can install yourself in less than thirty minutes.? Makes it nice to be able to check tire pressures from inside before departure in the mornings and have the comfort of knowing that in our case all ten tires (six on the MH and 4 on the toad) are being monitored and we would be alerted to a tire loosing air pressure.? Bought ours from Bernie.? Without tire pressure monitoring there is no way to know if you have a low tire on the toad until either somebody alerts you to it or till after the damage is done.? ?Just knowing that all tires are being monitored is worth the investment. A low tire could be very expensive if not detected in time.

Thanks for the information.  I'll let the RV service center do the PM on the LP system.  I'm going to look into the tire pressure monitors.  Again Thank you.

Hi Hersh and Linda,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy your venture here. I do orientation and PDI inspections for a dealership. All rigs are checked for LPG integrity. A manometer is used to check for any LPG leaks. If you have any concerns about leakage take your rig to a dealer and ask for an LPG check. They should be able to determine if anything is amiss. The test is conducted over 15 minutes. If there is no drop in pressure during that time then the system is considered leak free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom