New to RV Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi There, We have been campers for many years (tenting). We had a travel trailer for about 3 years than went back to a boat when the kids got a little older (you know the things you do to keep them under your wings). Now that we have only two left in the nest we are ready to go RVing. We have just started the process and have an interest in Class C Motohomes. Have been talking to LazyDays and they are really set on selling us a 1997 Fleetwood Flair Class A. It's in our price range but it's an A not a C. What is the difference in the two? Like the cost of repairs, gas mileage, etc. The class A just seems to be HUGE!

Hi Mary Jo,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  We are glad you found us.  Please join in the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions you might have relating to the RVing lifestyle. 

Try test driving a couple of each Class A  and Class C  I think you may find the class A to be just as easy to drive as the C.  However usually the class C will have more sleeping accomodations than the class A. 

Mary Jo said:
Hi There, We have been campers for many years (tenting). We had a travel trailer for about 3 years than went back to a boat when the kids got a little older (you know the things you do to keep them under your wings). Now that we have only two left in the nest we are ready to go RVing. We have just started the process and have an interest in Class C Motohomes. Have been talking to LazyDays and they are really set on selling us a 1997 Fleetwood Flair Class A. It's in our price range but it's an A not a C. What is the difference in the two? Like the cost of repairs, gas mileage, etc. The class A just seems to be HUGE!

Actually, the longer you have the rig, the better "huge" becomes. If the length is the same, the actual living space is greater in the Class A. For example, note the distance between the front bumper and the back of the drivers seat. Totally wasted space once parked in a "C". And again, for the same length, the "A" will give you a larger fuel tank, larger fresh water tank, larger grey water, and larger black water tank. It will also give you more room to store batteries and give better access to them. Do little things to test -- such as when you add water to the batteries, how easy are they to get to -- and could you add an extra if so desired.

There are only two advantages that I know of to a "C" over an "A". The "C" (initially) will appear easier to drive and also, you have the extra sleeping space in the cab over bunk. With 2 kids, one can jump up there at night and the other can crash on the pulled out couch. With an "A", you will be breaking down the dinette each night as well -- and that will become a pain. As far as ease of driving, both are the same width when you get past the cab -- so after a few trips around the parking lot, you would adjust to that. The other part of the "illusion" thingy is that in a "C", you are sitting about a foot lower. Higher is better to some and not to others.

I started with a Class A, then went to a TT, then a 5thW, and now I am in a Class "C". Having come full circle, I now would prefer a Class A. Am beginning to search for the right one. I have expanded my business and simply need more room -- something "Huge".  ;) The cost of fuel, repairs and such were about the same between my "A" and "C".

My 1st RV was a Winny Brave. I had looked at the comparable Fleetwood Flair -- and chose the Brave. The Brave just seemed more like home to me whereas the Flair was too sterile for my tastes. I do recall tho that the Flair handled about as well or better than most Class A's that I tested. Do check out the Brave if possible if an A is the direction you go.

One more thought. I recall camping at the Riverside in Laughlin, NV the year I bought my Class A Brave. I parked on the top row of the park (it goes up the side of a steep hill) and pulled in forward so the front windows captured the panorama view. Incredible! I did the same thing when I bought my Class A -- and guess what, from anywhere in the living area to see out the front windows, I had to bend over. So you will always feel more closed in in a Class C. Bummer! :mad:

Whatever you choose, please keep us posted -- and also, continue to ask questions and be sure to put one of our rally's in your travel plans.

I recommend the "A" over the "C".  Generally, an A will have more storage (external bays) and a more capable chassis underneath it. And more room inside because the driving area is part of the living area, rather than a separate cab.  RV manufacturers often overload a Class C chassis, trying to put in all the amenities that buyers like.  The larger chassis available for an A gives them more room for all the goodies while still remaining safely within its design limits.

Of course, the above are generalities. Some specific C might be better than some particular A, in some or all of the areas mentioned above.  But I think I would take a Flair over most of the C's I have seen and there are many other 28-30 foot Class A's as well. I suggest that you look at several of them before deciding.

If you decide you like the Class c better, the most capable Class C chassis is the Ford E450.

Mary Jo said:
. . .What is the difference in the two?

Mary Jo,

I started in a tent, then pop-top tent camper, two class C's while the kids were with us and then our A.

Class A's are often described as designed for: "Drinks for six, dinner for four, sleeps two." That's pretty accurate. Class C's are usually designed for 2+2 comfortably.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom