New to Rv life and forums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desinie

Hello, just remodeled an old 1997 companion kit RV to live in while in school. I don’t know what I’m doing as far as living in a rv and maintaining it. google and YouTube are saving me lol.. and how to keep all critters out of all these open places from the outside and hook everything up!! I am looking for a owners manual for the trailer does anyone know where I can get one? The hot water heater needs replacing but not sure if it’s a 6 or 10 gallon. Everything I find online doesn’t give me specifics for my trailer.. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Hi and welcome.

Most RVs don't have a one off manual as such but manuals for each of the pieces of equipment for each manufacturer. If you list those you might get some help.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum
Open the outside access door to the water heater and you should find the name and model number. Give it to us.
You plan on living in the RV, what part of Texas do you live in? Does it get real cold where you’re at?

Welcome aboard. As Rene says each piece of equipment will have it's own manual. RVs are generally fitted out with aftermarket items.

It's a good idea to track down the model number of each item and start googling for manuals. I have a big 3-ring binder with all my manuals in it. Better to have them in advance.

If you don't know how to operate the RV, how can you be sure that the water heater has failed?
It leaks out water at the

Pressure Relief Valve it’s all rusted and the bottom of the pan, plus the​

Anode Rods was corroded. I am just googling as I go and find problems. Right now I am repairing everything before I take it to live in and trying to learn where it all is and to hook everything up.​

Welcome aboard. As Rene says each piece of equipment will have it's own manual. RVs are generally fitted out with aftermarket items.

It's a good idea to track down the model number of each item and start googling for manuals. I have a big 3-ring binder with all my manuals in it. Better to have them in advance.
Thank you I will definitely look I had no idea that’s how it works!! Appreciate the help.

Hi and welcome.

Most RVs don't have a one off manual as such but manuals for each of the pieces of equipment for each manufacturer. If you list those you might get some help.

Good luck!
THANK YOU! I will look for all that!

Welcome to the forum
Open the outside access door to the water heater and you should find the name and model number. Give it to us.
You plan on living in the RV, what part of Texas do you live in? Does it get real cold where you’re at?
I definitely didn’t see any information there, but I wasn’t actually looking for that to be a spot to find it. I will definitely look and see what I can find out. Thank you for the help it has helped a lot!

Pretty much anything other than a cracked tank is repairable, though if the gas valve is bad it might be a trick to find or refit a new one. My WH is younger than yours and I've replaced the check valves, OVP and thermostats, just part of their care and feeding. Maybe try and light it off and see it work before you get too far down the road of scrounging parts for it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Pretty much anything other than a cracked tank is repairable, though if the gas valve is bad it might be a trick to find or refit a new one. My WH is younger than yours and I've replaced the check valves, OVP and thermostats, just part of their care and feeding. Maybe try and light it off and see it work before you get too far down the road of scrounging parts for it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
It does work the gas lines are still
Good and it heats up so the element is good, just leaks the whole Time running... it has rusted it all out even the

Thermostat/Hi-Limit Cover is melted and I’ll replace. It’s leaking under the RV where the water tank is leaking on the outside and I think it’s just a trail of water from it but I won’t know till I fix all that but there’s no damage underneath the RV.​

Attachments

• 3969BF23-A685-449A-A703-1B7880EFB233.jpeg
    3969BF23-A685-449A-A703-1B7880EFB233.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 9
The pressure relief valve can be replaced . If it is dripping sometimes you can open it while pressurized and let it snap back to try and reseat it. Do this when the water is warm or cold. Not hot.
If the anode rod is corroded that means it’s doing it’s job. Just replace it. If you start to see the steel Rod in the center of the anode, it’s time to replace.

The pressure relief valve can be replaced . If it is dripping sometimes you can open it while pressurized and let it snap back to try and reseat it. Do this when the water is warm or cold. Not hot.
If the anode rod is corroded that means it’s doing it’s job. Just replace it. If you start to see the steel Rod in the center of the anode, it’s time to replace.
Yes, thank you... I got them both out and ordered I think that may be the reason for it all so trying the cheap things first!! It was all corroded and it won’t snap back and is very hard to open to drain so it’s definitely not doing it’s job anymore. The parts will be in tomorrow so fingers crossed that’s all it was! Thanks

When you replace the relief valve, make sure to also establish an air bubble in the top of the water heater tank as the lack of such an air pocket will cause the relief to drip each time that the water is heated up due to it expanding. You might find this article on RVer's Corner helpful as it addresses that issue. It is normal for the anode to be slowly eaten away and need to be replaced with a Suburban water heater. Atwood water heaters do not use one. With my present Suburban I change the anode at the start of each season. You may want to flush out the water heater tank before installing it just to be sure you don't have any mineral deposits in the tank. To do that I use flushing wand available at Amazon or most RV supply stores.

Thank you very much I need to get one that’s very helpful!! I did watch a you tube video about the air pocket so thank you and thanks for the article I’ll definitely read it!

Thank you everyone for all the help it’s all been so helpful to me I appreciate it! I don’t really know how to work this forum so I hope you all get this I greatly appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom