New to RV world. Trying to choose our first.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MPlasket

Hi Folks!
My husband and I are purchasing our first RV soon and we're trying to choose between the Flagstaff 26DS and the Sunline Solaris T-2499.  We will haul with a Mountaineer 4.6 V8.  Any opinions on which we should choose?  Anyone love either of them?  Hate them? 
Thanks!
Mel & Kel

Mel & Kel,

Welcome to the Rv Forum. You have found the right place to get answers to your RV related questions.  I am sure somebody familiar with those rigs will be giving you some information.  Glad you found us.

Welcome aboard!

I'm sorry but I cannot contribute any experience with either of those. Sunline is generally well spoken of, though.

Have you done your homework with regard to the towing capacity of your Mountaineer and the weights of the rigs you are considering? Don't rely on the salesman - check the numbers yourself. If unfamiliar with the terminology, look up GVWR, GCWR and Towing Capacity in our Glossary, which can be found from the Resource menu on rvforum.net home page.

My husband and I are purchasing our first RV soon and we're trying to choose between the Flagstaff 26DS and the Sunline Solaris T-2499.  We will haul with a Mountaineer 4.6 V8.  Any opinions on which we should choose?  Anyone love either of them?  Hate them? 

First of all, a trailer is just a simple box on a set of wheels with a bunch of appliances and gadgets all made by the same makers like Dometic, Thetford, Suburban, etc. all covered by their manufacturers' guarantees, not the trailers.  Go for the one with the floor plan you like, the accessories you like, and the price you like.

That said there is one thing critical:  the towing capaciity of your Mountaineer.  If you have a 2005, it will tow a maximum of 7140 lbs (7000 if 4WD).  The gross vehicle weight (GVW) of your trailer should be less than that.  At least 10% less, 20% if you plan to tow in the mountain west.  That means a trailer should have now more than 6400 lbs GVW, or, in the West, 5700 lbs.. 

So how do you find the GVW of your trailers?  In the spec sheets of the manufacturer, or on the DOT plate affixed to the side of the trailer.

And both of those choices appear to be within the GVWR for your vehicle.  While that Sunline looks pretty nice, and has a pretty nice layout, I think you're going to be happier with the slideout of the Flagstaff.  It is truly amazing how much more room even a small slideout will give you.  As for quality of the two, I can't speak to that, but they both appear to be well made as far as trailers go.  Especially the Sunline.

We love our sunline.  We did not want a slide so that was not a concern to us.  If your truck can handle the weight,  I imagine you will not be disappointed with the quality and factory support if you need it.  Only have one issue with the microwave on ours.  Trailer build was very good and quality was excellent.  Enjoy whatever you purchase.

Back
Top Bottom