New to RV World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cellar Hound

Hi Everyone!!

New to the RV world and looking forward to learning.  We have not purchased a rig yet but we are beginning the process of researching brands and models.  So I will start at the beginning:  Regardless of price what are the highest quality brands/models in class A?s and C?s available in the 28-32 foot range.

Thanks for any input!!

Here is our thought process before we purchased a Class A last September.  I hope this helps:

1.  There are people on this site which are experts - I pay close attention to their advice.
2.  There aren't many advantages to purchasing a new RV.  Initial quality is poor in most RV's.  It is not uncommon for an RV to spend much of their 1st year in the shop for warranty repair.  Also RV's depreciate rapidly. 
3.  Finding a competent RV repair tech is not as easy as finding one for a car.  Learning how to take care of some maintenance items is recommended.  Stuff happens with the varying components in an RV.  Much of the maintenance is easier than I first thought - this forum and YouTube are where I start.

We picked a Diesel RV (with an engine in the back) because they are much smoother and quiet. This makes for a more pleasant trip - as noise and vibration can be fatiguing.  We picked a Class A because the drive and view outside the window during the drive is half the enjoyment.  We found a unit with the floor plan we liked and then ensured it was well maintained and everything worked. 

My wife and I are very happy with our purchase and love traveling via RV.

Good luck!

We are also getting ready to jump in to RVing. Retiring in a year. Looking at 4-5 yr old rig class A or Super C. Need towing capability and power to visit the western US and be able to traverse the mountains towing our 4Runner. Therefore looking for a diesel pusher or the super C.  Open to any and all opinions on choices. Starting a Montana LLC to avoid some taxes and fees first.  Agree that and mildly used unit will have already depreciated and had some of the maintenance kinks worked out after a few years.  Anyone have experience with Nexus Ghost or Wraith? Otherwise looking at the Tiffin line.

Starting a Montana LLC to avoid some taxes and fees first.
Be careful with that. You don't say where you're from, but many states now watch for that sort of thing, and getting caught if you live in Colorado can be mighty expensive, probably true in many other places, too.

Regardless of price what are the highest quality brands/models in class A?s and C?s available in the 28-32 foot range.
How are you defining "quality?" I ask because there are many of the higher end units that, though they use better materials, still have their share (or more) of problems. You might mention why you want a coach that short -- sometimes intended purpose can make a difference in recommendations.

However, we could start with top end class A coaches such as Prevost bus mods, Newell, Foretravel, etc., where you're talking well over a million, perhaps closer to $2M. Or you could look at the upper tiers of Newmar, Monaco, American and some others. But few, if any, of these are under 40-45 feet. But some of them do have the shorter units, too, such as Newmar, Fleetwood, etc.

I don't know of any class C units that expensive (read top end), but there are a number of Super C rigs by Jayco and others. And Newmar is just coming out with a new Super C that even has air suspension, unlike most of the others.

However, whether new or used, price-when-new is a fair comparison of where a coach is in the overall material quality/features/amenities look at the market.

I'd suggest getting to an RV show, or at least to a large dealer or two, to see for yourself what you might be getting into. You can learn a lot very quickly that way.

Craigt61 said:
We are also getting ready to jump in to RVing. Retiring in a year. Looking at 4-5 yr old rig class A or Super C. Need towing capability and power to visit the western US and be able to traverse the mountains towing our 4Runner. Therefore looking for a diesel pusher or the super C.  Open to any and all opinions on choices. Starting a Montana LLC to avoid some taxes and fees first.  Agree that and mildly used unit will have already depreciated and had some of the maintenance kinks worked out after a few years.  Anyone have experience with Nexus Ghost or Wraith? Otherwise looking at the Tiffin line.

We just went through about a three-year process of looking, considering, denying, re-considering, re-thinking and looking some more, and finally got a new Nexus Phantom (class C) last fall. New because we appreciate the warranty with a new unit, aren't super-knowledgeable about motorhomes (but are learning plenty) and got what we think was a pretty good deal overall. Our Nexus had just a few minor little oddities from the factory -- a crooked drawer and a too-small pass-through for our electrical connection. Very nice cabinetry otherwise and we're happy so far with it, but have just taken a few 2-3 day trips. Happy so far with our Nexus -- but it's of course a very small data pool! Good luck!

Cellar Hound said:
Hi Everyone!!

New to the RV world and looking forward to learning.  We have not purchased a rig yet but we are beginning the process of researching brands and models.  So I will start at the beginning:  Regardless of price what are the highest quality brands/models in class A?s and C?s available in the 28-32 foot range.

Thanks for any input!!

From one newbie to another newbie, welcome! 

My wife and I chose the 2019 Coachman Mirada as it we needed a bunkhouse and large shower.  I spent a almost 2 years visiting RV shows/dealers as well as combing through RVtrader dot com over and over.  There were times that i thought we wouldn't find one that was within our price range with the things we wanted.  Large showers/baths are not very common in these things!  We found the spaciousness of the class A to be necessary with the wheelchairs and thus why we chose an entry level Class A. 

I hope you find the one that speaks to you, but my .02 would be to take your time searching and find what works for you, not someone else.  We did and I hope it was all worth it.  As I learned from skydiving, if you ask 10 people how to pack a parachute, you will be given 10 different directions and opinions.  Take everyones opinions and thoughts of what you should do, remove from it what you needed to hear to make sense to you, and then go with it/make it your own.  good luck! 

Welcome!
I'm a tow a trailer, but grew up vacationing in a C class that my grandparents took to Florida in the winter.

Other then what has been said about buying New vs Used...
It is all about floor plan.... I suggest visiting showrooms, renting and going to those big trade shows....
Take your time.
Make a Want, Need and Deal breaker list.
Hold out for exactly what you want.

Happy Hunting!!

The wife and I started out about 2 years ago with a 17 year old Four Winds infinity Class A as our starter.  We completely went through it, new interior, up dated the exterior, had everything completely sorted out. No issues.  Went to buy some valve stem extensions and the wife wandered off to the dealership next door..... You'll never guess what happened!
It's all fluid, there isn't anything as a "perfect" RV.  There will be compromises, you just need to find the one that has the least amount.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 7
Back in 1976 I made the mistake of buying a first ever RV, a motor home.  Other than one cross country trip home for the wife it was a huge mistake.  Bought a TT cheap and absolutely loved it.  That trailer was so much family fun.  Towed it for several years only to trade it for a much larger TT.  That was OK too, but we aoon learned size made for limited camping sites.  Once the kids left home we went back to a much smaller TT.
Im saying all this to tell you start small, start used.  Learn what you like and dont like.  You may actually end up with a MoHo sometime, but wait till you actually know what you want first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom