NEW TO RV'ING AND THIS FORUM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happytobehere

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking for a forum just like this to ask questions on RV'ing since my husband and I are new at this.  We have been camping 2 times and we love our RV!  I hope you don't mind a lot of "dumb" questions!

Thanks

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to look around and ask those questions. We'll try to get them answered.

When it comes to RVing, when you don't know, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a dumb question.? Be sure to check the Library, many can be answered prior to the asking.? Good Luck.

Welcome to the RV Forum! ?There is no such thing as a dumb question when you don't know the answer. ?Feel free to ask away, as our members have a lot of experience and willing to share. ?Also feel free to contribute your experiences to any forum discussion.

What type of RV do you have and where have you gone on your 2 outings?

Hope you enjoy the RV Forum ?:)

Thank you for the warm welcome!  We purchased a used 1998 Sportsmen Camper Trailer.  It's 20 feet long, sleeps 3 adults comfortably and a small child/person under 150 lbs. in a pull down bunk.  It has a full kitchen, including a freezer/refrigerator, and a small bathroom.

We went on our first camping trip in April to Eisenhower State Park, Dennison, TX.  Our second trip was over Memorial Day weekend to Possum Kingdom State Park, Caddo, TX.  Our trip this month is to Mineral Wells State Park, Mineral Wells, TX.  We also plan on meeting friends in July at Kerrville Park in Kerville, TX.  We are skipping August because it is just too hot!

One question we have is on the refrigerator/freezer.  We would like to run it while driving and were told we could run it on LP gas.  We were also told that it was dangerous to have propane going while driving.  Any comments on this?  We figured out the battery is not big enough to run it on because of the freezer.  Thanks in advance.

Many (most) folks run their refridgerator on LP while driving down the road. Some folks have no choice. There are restrictions in some tunnels and maybe some other places where the propane has to be turned off. Someone else might be able to give you more details. Also, be sure to turn off any LP appliances and oreferably turn off the main LPG valve before entering a gas station.

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good questions and great answers here.

We rarely drive with the fridge on. You can easily go a couple of hours without the fridge running and keep everything cold....works just like a giant icebox. Of course, I tend to be slightly paranoid so prefer leaving things off.

Keep asking questions...I learn a lot from all the smart people here!

Hi Happytobehere,

Yes, people do run with the propane on but it isn't the safest thing to do. The big thing most people don't think about is there is a flame at the back of the refrigerator. What happens when you enter a fuel stop??? If there are any gas fumes around it's possible to cause an explosion. I'm really surprised it hasn't happened yet as so many people are leaving the refer on with propane. If you decide you are going to do that, PLEASE turn it off BEFORE you enter a gas station!!

Many owners of motorhomes leave it on but at least the passenger can get up and turn it off before entering to fuel. If you get the refer cold a couple of day before you leave and put in cold food it should last most of the day as long as the seal is good. If you stop for lunch you can always turn it on for a while and let it cool more. Just don't keep opening the door during the trip.

happytobehere said:
One question we have is on the refrigerator/freezer.? We would like to run it while driving and were told we could run it on LP gas.? We were also told that it was dangerous to have propane going while driving.? Any comments on this?? We figured out the battery is not big enough to run it on because of the freezer.?

It is safe to drive with the fridge on gas.  Many, if not most, fridges have provision to switch between 120VAC shore power, and 12VDC when off shorepower.  Tho some fridges actually run the refrigerant cycle with 12VDC those can go thru a battery like electricity is going out of style.  Most just run the electronics on 12 volts.  The gas flame does the cooling.

Yes, there is a flame in the fridge.  Yes it is a good precaution to turn off the fridge first thing stopping to refuel.  Unless you see spilled fuel coming into the station, just arrive, and turn off the fridge.  If you see spill fuel, don't go in...with any kind of vehicle.

Thanks for all of your comments/suggestions.? I'm not comfortable with running the frig on LP while driving, so we will take the advice of getting it cold the day before we leave. :D

[edit]BBCode formatting[/edit]

Back
Top Bottom