New To RVing - In Need Of Advice! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just be aware, travel trailers (and motor homes) do not take well to sitting. Tires and bearings need to be used or they deteriorate quicker. Most other things simply don't like sitting.

Charles
I lived full-time in a MH for 3 year, then switched to a TT for 2 years and didn't have a problem. With the MH, I fired up the engine every week and let it run for 20 minutes giving it a little throttle a few times, and usually took that time to move it forward and backward a couple times to roll the tires. With the TT, I put a jack under the axle every few months and gave the tires a spin so they wouldn't "get flat" in one spot, but that all I did to those.

I lived full-time in a MH for 3 year, then switched to a TT for 2 years and didn't have a problem. With the MH, I fired up the engine every week and let it run for 20 minutes giving it a little throttle a few times, and usually took that time to move it forward and backward a couple times to roll the tires. With the TT, I put a jack under the axle every few months and gave the tires a spin so they wouldn't "get flat" in one spot, but that all I did to those.
But you are one in a hundred that do not do anything like that. Even with what you did, tires do not take well to not being used. Rolling with weight on them helps distribute the oils and solvents in the rubber, and wheel bearings are subject to static electricity passing thru them that microscopically pits them and shortens their lives. I used to see all of this in light aircraft that the owners allowed to sit all year on the ramp tiedowns and then pay for an annual inspection, fly it once to justify the expensive inspection and then let it sit another year.

I used to see all of this in light aircraft that the owners allowed to sit all year on the ramp tiedowns and then pay for an annual inspection, fly it once to justify the expensive inspection and then let it sit another year.

It's kinda sad in a way. I would meet guys at cocktail parties and such and they would say they were pilots and that they had an aircraft. I never called BS in public as that's not my style but one guy claimed to have a PA140 on the ramp at the same airport I was at.

So I had a look. Weeds were growing up past the wing roots and it clearly hadn't flown in a very long time.

I suspect the same is true for a lot of RVs.

Ex-Calif it was the same way at the marina where I kept my 28 ft sailboat, in the years I had it, I never saw the owners of the majority of boats that were tied up there, and rarely saw signs they had been touched.

I think for a lot of people these toys like RV's, Airplanes, boats, etc. are bought dreaming of the day when they will have time to use them, but instead, they get caught up in the 70-80 hour work week, and never find the time to use them.

I think for a lot of people these toys like RV's, Airplanes, boats, etc. are bought dreaming of the day when they will have time to use them, but instead, they get caught up in the 70-80 hour work week, and never find the time to use them.
Indeed, a rather common thing. Playtime doesn't just happen for successful people; you have to make time to use the toys you buy.

Back
Top Bottom