New to RVing, just took dog along for first time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I have to say is about wheyin's comment is that I could say the same about kids.  ;)

However, I won't comment on kids and just ask a question.  LOL.  I noticed a couple people saying something about the temp in the MH while they are away.  Do people not leave the AC on if using shore power to keep the trailer or MH cool while they are out during the day?  My dog is used to 75 degrees or less. 

Since we vacation in various areas of the country during the summertime, I would never think of leaving my dogs locked up in our coach without using the a/c, or, for that matter, even when we are driving down the road. Last year, a stretch of really bad interstate caused my generator to bottom out on its springs and sever the main 6 gauge wiring from the generator to the transfer switch. We couldn't use the a/c. While in the Midwest, we didn't have a problem. But when we hit south Georgia on the way back home to SW Florida, it started getting pretty hot in the coach and our two dogs could only get so far up front to suck up the a/c coming out of the cab vents. We weren't about to make them suffer any longer than necessary and cut our trip short, driving straight home from Atlanta.

Whenever we leave our pets in the coach while we are out seeing the sights, we make sure the coach has electric, either shore or from the generator, and we leave the a/c on, even if it's comfortable when we leave. We also try not to leave our dogs by themselves for longer than five or six hours. In planning out our next trip in August last night, we decided that if we go to Dollywood while in Pigeon Forge, TN, we'll have to make trips back to the coach every three or four hours to make sure the dogs are all right and let them outside. Now, does everyone show that much consideration for their dogs? I have no idea, but I would like to think that they do if they are responsible dog owners.

This is my first year camping with my dog. I've had him for a couple years now, but just got my camper so I started up camping again. This last week, it was just me and him out camping. Didn't have a problem with him, other than he wanted to meet everyone and play with all the other dogs, and whined a lot because he was on the leash and couldn't. And I'm sure if we had neighbors (campground was pretty empty), the whining would have been just as bad as barking. But it's something we are working on, and he was getting better by the end of the trip.

What I am concerned about is if I do need to leave the campsite but can't take him with. It could be to go check out the site and attractions, or it could be just to use the showers. This last trip, I only left him alone once - When I went to dump the trash into the dumpster about 50 feet away from the campsite. He did bark when I left him in the camper, but stopped after I left, and started up again when he knew I was close by again. I'm worried about if he would bark if others are just walking past the campsite. I'm not a fan of shock collars (not criticizing anyone that does use them - Just not my style), but I do see there are vibrating ones I might try when I have to leave him in the camper alone.

Buy a 6-pack and cookies. Ask your neighbors. If they say your dog barks, offer the beer. If they don't drink, offer the cookies. Either way, you get to drink beer or eat cookies. LOL.

It's one of those things that you need to ask people. Like, how else will you know if your dog barks? You aren't there. Better yet, tell your neighbors in advance. Tell them you are going out to dinner and will be back in an hr or whatever. Have them text you if the dog is barking while you are gone.

If your dog barks, tire it out before you leave. Go for a long walk, play fetch, etc. A barking dog is a dog with energy. Tire it out.

bsandey said:
This is my first year camping with my dog. I've had him for a couple years now, but just got my camper so I started up camping again. This last week, it was just me and him out camping. Didn't have a problem with him, other than he wanted to meet everyone and play with all the other dogs, and whined a lot because he was on the leash and couldn't. And I'm sure if we had neighbors (campground was pretty empty), the whining would have been just as bad as barking. But it's something we are working on, and he was getting better by the end of the trip.

What I am concerned about is if I do need to leave the campsite but can't take him with. It could be to go check out the site and attractions, or it could be just to use the showers. This last trip, I only left him alone once - When I went to dump the trash into the dumpster about 50 feet away from the campsite. He did bark when I left him in the camper, but stopped after I left, and started up again when he knew I was close by again. I'm worried about if he would bark if others are just walking past the campsite. I'm not a fan of shock collars (not criticizing anyone that does use them - Just not my style), but I do see there are vibrating ones I might try when I have to leave him in the camper alone.

A few things.

1. Sounds like your dog has a lot of energy. You need to wear it out so that it's tired and wants to sleep.

2. If your dog barks, and you "talk" to it, the dog sees it as positive reinforcement. So it would see a passing neighbor as something to bark to.

You need to remove stimuli that reinforces your dog to bark.

I got my dog while I was attending college. I was gone 8-12 hrs at a time. My dog learned from an early age to be alone. And I have a beagle which is notorious for barking loud. Take away as much stimuli as you can and your dog should be fine. It may take a few weeks or a month but it's attainable. 

Our dog, an inheritance from my mother, is kinda old and set in her ways. We made the mistake of leaving her in the house alone not long after she came to us. She destroyed the door jamb around the back door. We only take her with us if it is going to be cool enough to leave her in the car. We were at a hotel once and she was with us. The hotel was pet friendly. The hotel had a cocktail hour each evening with heavy snacks. I would take our dog out for a lengthy walk and put her in the car while we went and had our 3 free drinks and snacks. She loves being in the car and it was quite cool out so no worry about the heat. I found a nasty note on car saying they would call the police they found the dog in the unattended again. Like I said the temp out was in the 50's and it was after sundown. Anyway, we don't take our dog on camping trips. We have a son and daughter in town that can watch her.

We have 2 Weimaraners that go everywhere with us. They were trained as young pups and they dont bark when we leave. We see them looking out the front window of the MH as we leave. Then they settle diwn on the couch or their beds. They seem to recognize the campground as not their home, so they dont seem to care. Now if a stranger tried to come into the coach, that would be a different story. Not a good one.

I also have 2 dogs and it can be a challenge.
The one thing I never understood is why so many Dog Owner never pick the poop from their dog.
In fact everywhere I go when I see people walking their dogs they don't carry any poop bags, this gives us dog owners a bad reputation.
I have observed that even the people that preach about dog courtesy are equally guilty.
It's simple dog owners need to pick up after their dogs.

Wow! Wheyin sure doesn't seem to like dogs. As fot their waste not being degradeable? What about the other millions of animals that live in the wild? Is their waste poisoning the earth? I think not. At home we have acreage and they always do "their business" far from the house so at home we don't pick up after them, we don't need to.
When travelling we're lucky, our dogs know it's our home away from home and don't fuss if we're away for a couple/few hours. YES we have asked nearby campers and most (that didn't already know) don't even know we have dogs. While on the road we always pick up after our dogs. There has been a couple times i forget to put a bag in my pocket so when we finish our walk i grab a bag an return to "the scene" and pick it up. With a great dane, it may need a bigger bag than a little roll provides so i often, also, carry a plastic grocery bag.

I had a problem with my dog until I came across this recipe from a friend. I always complained that when I want to go out or go to the store, the dog always waits at the door, and after I go out, he starts crying and screaming at the door that we leave him alone. A friend suggested a recipe for bone marrow, and I researched the net more and did not know what to say. Many say that it is good because if I start eating it, I stay all day with it until I remove all the bone marrow. But I don't know how healthy he is. How do you think bone marrow is suitable for dogs?

Wow! This was a hateful lecture about dogs and dog ownership that really has no place here. The OP was looking for advice, which is what all of us are trying to provide, not the spewing of hate that makes one think you must have had a bad experience with dogs as a child to feel this strongly about the subject. Since over half of all RV'ers own and travel with pets, I'm surprised you have chosen RV'ing as a pastime, knowing full well that you will have to put up with all the negative things you discussed in your post.

What I would really like to know is why you even posted to this thread. If you don't like the subject matter of a new thread, dismiss it, ignore it, don't read it. But don't just go all negative on the OP and subsequent posters because you don't happen to like dogs and decide to jump to conclusions about those of us who do. Your post did absolutely no good other than to let people know that you don't like dogs.
I don’t believe this man hates dogs at all and did not say that. I am a dog owner,( i now have a toy poodle, have had a Scottie, 2 golden retrievers, Brittany spaniel, miniature schnauzer and a mix breed retriever) have been all my life and I thought his reply was very appropriate and made some very good, kind remarks about dog owners good and bad. Read it again, maybe you won’t see it as so negative, but hopefully informative. A responsible dog owner not only loves their 4 legged friend, but loves their company, trains them, picks up after them and is aware that not everyone around you loves your pet like you do. I certainly do not want other campers to dislike me because i am camping with a dog and they won’t, if i am a responsible And courteous pet owner.

I don’t believe this man hates dogs at all and did not say that. I am a dog owner,( i now have a toy poodle, have had a Scottie, 2 golden retrievers, Brittany spaniel, miniature schnauzer and a mix breed retriever) have been all my life and I thought his reply was very appropriate and made some very good, kind remarks about dog owners good and bad. Read it again, maybe you won’t see it as so negative, but hopefully informative. A responsible dog owner not only loves their 4 legged friend, but loves their company, trains them, picks up after them and is aware that not everyone around you loves your pet like you do. I certainly do not want other campers to dislike me because i am camping with a dog and they won’t, if i am a responsible And courteous pet owner.
Perhaps it would be best served if you read his post again. The only positive thing he said about dogs during his entire rant was: "A well trained and obedient dog is a joy, and reflects its' owners sensibilities and commitment to good pet ownership."
He had nothing else good to say about canines and spent considerable time explaining why he does not own a dog. In fact, he made a statement about dog waste not being consumed back into nature that was completely off base and totally prejudicial against the canine species. Is there something peculiar about dog waste that disallows it to be redistributed into nature that other animals' waste does not? What about bear, deer, elk, moose, bison, etc.?

I will not apologize for my post you disagree with, nor will I take back my original premise of the post. This forum is a place where new RV'ers can come to get advice on a subject of interest. He gave no advice to the OP and although he gave kudos to him for being a good dog owner, he offered little more than complete negativity regarding the ownership of dogs. His post was worthless to the OP and should not have been included in this thread because it offered nothing constructive. There are other forums where this poster can voice his opinions of dogs and dog ownership. This was not the proper place.

Perhaps it would be best served if you read his post again. The only positive thing he said about dogs during his entire rant was: "A well trained and obedient dog is a joy, and reflects its' owners sensibilities and commitment to good pet ownership."
He had nothing else good to say about canines and spent considerable time explaining why he does not own a dog. In fact, he made a statement about dog waste not being consumed back into nature that was completely off base and totally prejudicial against the canine species. Is there something peculiar about dog waste that disallows it to be redistributed into nature that other animals' waste does not? What about bear, deer, elk, moose, bison, etc.?

I will not apologize for my post you disagree with, nor will I take back my original premise of the post. This forum is a place where new RV'ers can come to get advice on a subject of interest. He gave no advice to the OP and although he gave kudos to him for being a good dog owner, he offered little more than complete negativity regarding the ownership of dogs. His post was worthless to the OP and should not have been included in this thread because it offered nothing constructive. There are other forums where this poster can voice his opinions of dogs and dog ownership. This was not the proper place.
Hi John. No need to apologize, never asked you to. Yes, I believe the post had some value and you don’t. No problem. We both love dogs and we like camping with them. Valuable information on this topic.

As long as the weather is OK our dogs have always been in the truck with us when we run around. If its above comfortable then they stay home. Home means home or in my RV. Our current dog, a Chowbrador likes to bark, but as long as no one comes around our RV he is quiet, patiently waiting for some to try and break in, LOL. As camp hosts we have had to deal with yappy dogs at times. Usually the responsible owners are warned one time. Yea, its a pain in the arse, but its part of life.

I trained my dog from the get-go that when I left for whatever reason, I would be back... I did this by saying "Bye-Bye" each time I let hi out before I departed. It didn't take long before he understood that Bye Bye meant he'd be alone for a while, but that i would be back... never heard any complaints of persistent barking from my neighbors, though of course, even I noted that if there were a strange noise or movement, he'd bark a few times, then settle down...

Man, even the residue left on the ground stinks after you bag it.

And your dog walks through the last dogs residue and takes it home to your camper on their feet. Just like people have to do on their shoes.

It's a sad situation. And denial does not help.

Back
Top Bottom