New to RV's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retiresoon

Good Morning - We are trying to buy a 5th wheel , and are confused about size needed? and brand? will? use mostly for 1 week instead of full timing it.? We want comfort but not over done.? We think somewhere around 30ft.? We would like to? buy something close to new but not new.? We camped often? back in our young days with kids.? We did the tents? and popups.? Any suggestion about size and brands to avoid would be appreciated, I know they are out there.? Thanks for your help

Best I can offer is to locate what you and by all means the spouse like best in an Rv  Once she is satisfied, ask in here and get Carl and some of the others opinions on towing before you buy.  Once that is established go buy what you think sets the lady best.  Cause she's the one that will more than likely spend more time in the kitchen than you.  Just make sure you don;t buy something that is unsuitable for towing  with the drive unit.  Usually terrible things happen that way.Good luck and enjoy the comping ventures.  Don't rule out a Motorhome Cause you probably already have a car you can tow.

Nobody can tell you what size is right for you, nor what level of amenities is suitable.  It all depends on your expectations and standards.  That is especialy true for vacation use, i.e. a week at a time.  You can cope with a lot of minor inconveniences for a week but the same things could drive you batty if fulltiming.  Given that you are coming from tents and pop-ups, probably any trailer will look spacious and luxurious. I would suggest looking at something around 24-28 feet and see if you think it will be comfortable for you. An RV show is a good place to get a feel for what is available in various size ranges.

You are wise to buy used, especially since you aren't really sure what you want.  There are a lot of fine, used trailers on the market, so take your time and shop around. Look on the internet as well as in local RV stores, even if you don't want to buy away from home. I's a god way to see what makes, models and types are available and what prices are being asked. You can also check used retail prices at www.nadaguides.com.

Your budget is also a key factor - I'm guessing you don't want to invest a fortune in a trailer that you expect to use only occasionaly.  I generally recommend that people buy as much quality in an RV as they can afford, but "afford" is usually relative to the expecetd benefit from the purchase (unless you have money to burn  ;) ).

Do you already have a truck you expect to use to tow with? If so, let's start with the truck make/model/size/engine/etc. so we can help you determine how much trailer you can tow with it. That may will put a finite bound on what sizes you can consider.

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, we have not purchased a truck because of needing to decide how much truck we will need.  I guess finding the trailer is our first step.  We decided not to be in a big hurry.  I think we will try a used truck also, when we find what size we need. Thanks Again.

Any suggestion about size and brands to avoid would be appreciated, I know they are out there.  Thanks for your help

The very first question is what is your tow vehicle?  What part of the country do you plan to tow in is the second.

Back
Top Bottom