New to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusticrv

Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased a 1991 - 38' Cobra/sandpiper for a very good price. Our plans will be to seal some roof leaks initially, then install tongue and groove pine/cedar throughout.
We have several questions and hope to get some helpful tips from the forum.
Thank-you for adding us to your forum, we look forward to viewing all the helpful information/tips you have all provided.

Krissy & Derek

Welcome to the Forum.

You might want to make sure that the weight of that wood does not present a problem.

I am sure it would look great but might be too much weight.

Hi Krissy and Derek, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase! You're in a great place to learn!

Welcome to The RV Forum guys!

I had a 27 ft. Sierra 5th wheel of that vintage made by the same manufacturer (Cobra).  One of Cobra's weak points was they used tires and axles that were marginally acceptable for the empty weight of the trailer, leaving little additional capacity for cargo.

There will be a placard on the left front corner of the trailer giving the axle weight ratings and GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, the most the trailer can weigh).

I hate to throw a damper on your plans, but before you start adding weight to the trailer, take it to a scale and see what kind of load capacity it has before the tires, axles or frame become overloaded.

Forest River has a very good explanation of how to do this and see how much additional weight the trailer can safely handle starting on Page 14 in their Owners Manual:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/downloads/default.aspx?page=/Images/ForestRiverOwnersManual-TTFW.pdf

Thank-you all for the warm welcome.
We appreciate the advice very much. Having read the possibility of a weight issue adding wood inside actually does make perfect sense, although we never would have second guessed this had we started the project.
The walls look to be very thin type of cardboard type material with a laminated wallpaper. Doesn't seem to be many studs running through the walls either.
We will definitely take all the advice and look into the weight capacity.
Our plans are to put it on a seasonal site in a campground mid June and leave it set-up.
We really just wanted to cover over the existing decor with the 3/16 tongue and groove wood, however, we don't want the roof to come down on us if the weight is over bearing.
May have to re-sort to a plan B at this point.
We are looking forward to participating more within the forum here since we do have many things to learn. We are also new to a web based forum  and will try to post in the appropriate area's

Thanks again.
Enjoy the weekend !

Krissy & Derek

rusticrv said:
Our plans are to put it on a seasonal site in a campground mid June and leave it set-up.
We really just wanted to cover over the existing decor with the 3/16 tongue and groove wood, however, we don't want the roof to come down on us if the weight is over bearing.

The roof won't cave in or anything like that while the trailer is sitting in one spot.  The concern is the ability of the frame and running gear to handle the additional weight while you're going down the road.

If you're permanently setting it up at a seasonal site, have at it.  You won't have any problems while the trailer is set in place and supported on jacks.  Just be aware if the trailer is substantially overweight you will likely face things like blown tires, broken springs or bent axles if you move it more than a relatively short distance at highway speeds.

Welcome to the RV Forum rusticrv

Congrats on the new toy/hobby/project. Just remember as your making those changes to check in...You may not like the answer but it may save you a ton of money.

We will accept any answers good or bad. We are just starting out in life and didn't want to get into extra payments. We would love something "NEW" but will be happy with the Cobra until we save for another one.
We don't have really good paying jobs yet so,  we just can't do payments unless its a necessity really.
Just want a nice enough weekend place to enjoy an evening campfire, friends and a little drinking.

We will certainly need some advice I'm sure. My husband is somewhat mechanically inclined but no carpenter, but he is willing to try to make this into a rustic wood cabin like feeling.

We will check in as we go for sure, don't want to get ahead of ourselves. Really happy we found this forum to assist us with our new project.

I will say this only at this time

yoru plan to seal the roof. THEN do the interior.. Good plan.. Make sure that roof is well sealed first.

Yes I know of folks who have done the interior. THen the roof. then re-did....

Hi John,

We are planning on repairing the roof first. We really came to the forum for advice such as this. We only have a small budget to work with for this summer. So we hope to do it properly the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom