New to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbe23

My wife and I are newly retired and have a Funfinder X210 pulled by a 2010 Explorer Sportrac with the small V8.  We have taken a half dozen short trips and are embarking on our first long trip, from Mississauga, Ontario to Mesa, AZ.  Who has any advice to us on a possible route that minimizes mountain grades?

We're looking forward to checking out the other sections in this forum and picking up lots of information from those with much more experience than us.

Rick

Hi Rick and welcome to The RV Forum. Congratulations on retirement.

Welcome to the Forum.  I'm not the best one to give you directions but since you haven't had any response yet I'll give it a shot. 

On our return to Southern California from Buffalo NY we took I-90 SW to Cleveland Ohio.  From Cleveland you might consider I-71 south to Columbus Ohio and then I-70 west to St. Louis Missouri via Indianapolis Indiana.  From St. Louis, you might consider heading a bit north toward Kansas City, Missouri.  From there I've driven west to California several times.  I believe you can avoid mountains by heading south toward I-40. 

To get to the I-40, I would take I-35 SW to Wichita, Kansas and then continue south to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  That's where you pick up I-40 heading west.  Take it all the way to Albuquerque New Mexico and then take I-25 souith Las Cruces New Mexico.  Then head west on I-10 all the way to Mesa. 

You might find some long grades but I don't recall any serious mountain passes.   

garyb1st said:
Welcome to the Forum.  I'm not the best one to give you directions but since you haven't had any response yet I'll give it a shot. 

On our return to Southern California from Buffalo NY we took I-90 SW to Cleveland Ohio.  From Cleveland you might consider I-71 south to Columbus Ohio and then I-70 west to St. Louis Missouri via Indianapolis Indiana.  From St. Louis, you might consider heading a bit north toward Kansas City, Missouri.  From there I've driven west to California several times.  I believe you can avoid mountains by heading south toward I-40. 

To get to the I-40, I would take I-35 SW to Wichita, Kansas and then continue south to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  That's where you pick up I-40 heading west.  Take it all the way to Albuquerque New Mexico and then take I-25 souith Las Cruces New Mexico.  Then head west on I-10 all the way to Mesa. 

You might find some long grades but I don't recall any serious mountain passes. 

In the last paragraph of the above quote, if the weather is good, I would change it to stay on I-40 to Holbrook, AZ, then take 77 to 377, to 260 to Payson, then 87 to to Mesa, AZ.  This is much shorter and all good road.  However if there is a snow storm, the more southern route would be prefered.

Thanks so much for the advice.  We can guess at a route using the road atlas and google maps, but it's better to hear from someone who's actually done it.

Thanks again.

Rick

January and February deliver some goofy weather to the mid section of the US, which is probably your primary concern if you are getting ready to leave. We are actually stuck in Little Rock waiting for snow and sleet to diminish SOUTH of us so we can get to Baton Rouge.

I will warn you away from I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis because of one lane construction and detours which make that route a nightmare. As a native Arkansan, that's not a good route even without construction because of the high concentration of truck traffic. I-40 west of Little Rock at this time of the year is a big crap shoot, especially out towards west Texas.

If you want to drop south at St Louis on I-55 to I-20, or I-10,  then head west, that's an alternative. No mountains, better weather, but a LONG way across Texas.

We go back and forth to the west several ways, including the ones mentioned, and once you get to I-25 and head south, there's not a lot of mountain work to do, but there are some hills. Nothing that would keep me away, though!

Have a great trip and enjoy the journey, not just the destination!

I agree with 40 not being a nice road in the winter. I've been caught in snow and ice several times and attempt to avoid it until at least March or April. My suggestion would be to drop south as you can and pick up Route 10 west for your trip. Out of Chicago, I usually take 55 to 10 just outside of New Orleans. Much better road for the weather except the long bridge(?) over the bayou. I got stuck behind an accident just after leaving Livingston heading west for about 2 hours. Made having a washroom in my 5er worthwhile. ;D

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilkid2025
Back
Top Bottom